Shardic Number Theory - Let's fill in the Bavadin section!

ostrichofevil

Last May, Tempus posted something that he/she called "Shardic Number Theory."  Tempus included a section that discussed Bavadin (now known as Autonomy), the shard on Taldain, but had to censor most of the White Sand-Specific words.  Here is the section:

Bavadin - Five, Eight, Nine

We don't know much about Bavadin, but there are a few options. There are five shshshshshand a shshshshsh can have five shshshshshThe religious texts on shshshshsh are five hundred years old. There are eight shshshshsh, who elect eight shshshshsh, and shshshshsh spent eight years training. The shshshshsh religion sends eight shshshshsh at shshshshsh per day. There are also nine ranks of shshshshsh, nine people in shshshshsh's expedition, a maximum of nine shshsh without over-shshshshsh, and nine shshshshsh if you count the beggars. This paragraph brought to you by the Librarians.

Now that we have a forum on which we can talk about white sand, who wants to fill this in?

EDIT - I think that it was actually May 2014.

Edited by ostrichofevil

Last May, Tempus posted something that he/she called "Shardic Number Theory."  Tempus included a section that discussed Bavadin (now known as Autonomy), the shard on Taldain, but had to censor most of the White Sand-Specific words.  Here is the section:

Bavadin - Five, Eight, Nine

We don't know much about Bavadin, but there are a few options. There are five shshshshshand a shshshshsh can have five shshshshshThe religious texts on shshshshsh are five hundred years old. There are eight shshshshsh, who elect eight shshshshsh, and shshshshsh spent eight years training. The shshshshsh religion sends eight shshshshsh at shshshshsh per day. There are also nine ranks of shshshshsh, nine people in shshshshsh's expedition, a maximum of nine shshsh without over-shshshshsh, and nine shshshshsh if you count the beggars. This paragraph brought to you by the Librarians.

Now that we have a forum on which we can talk about white sand, who wants to fill this in?

Although interesting, I noticed Elantris includes about 20 instances of the word fifty in regards to anything from Dilaf's wife passing, to how long the wedding contract was. So either 50 is important to Aona and Skai, or Brandon just really liked the number as he wrote. Same two possibilities could apply here. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Here is what I have been able to do:

We don't know much about Bavadin, but there are a few options. There are five shshshshshand a shshshshsh can have five shshshshshThe religious texts on Taldain are five hundred years old. There are eight Professions, who elect eight Masters, and Sand Masters spent eight years training. The Kershtian religion sends eight assassins at shshshshsh per day. There are also nine ranks of Sand Master, nine people in Reegent's expedition, a maximum of nine Ribbons without over-mastering, and nine Profession if you count the beggars. This paragraph brought to you by the Librarians.

Here is what I have been able to do:

We don't know much about Bavadin, but there are a few options. There are five spheresand a shshshshsh can have five shshshshshThe religious texts on Taldain are five hundred years old. There are eight Professions, who elect eight Masters, and Sand Masters spent eight years training. The Kershtian religion sends eight assassins at Kenton per day. There are also nine ranks of Sand Master, nine people in Reegent's expedition, a maximum of nine Ribbons without over-mastering, and nine Profession if you count the beggars. This paragraph brought to you by the Librarians.

Edit: I am unsure about spheres, but I known there were five spheres in the beginning when Kenton is doing his test.

Edit: I found this: "the first Darksiders to set foot on Dayside in five hundred years."

Also Acron has five hour glasses each one smaller than the other and two years is approximately five hundred moon revolutions of the moon

The last two blanks could be undermastrell and ribbons, but I am not completely sure on these two.

Edited by Phoenix

To me we have searching the number in the wrong place.

It's have to be deeply connected with the World and the Magic but you have not to find it in every mundane event.

For example now I am serching to find any "special number" builded in the Magic System (but we don't know enough), until now I find only:

- 3 the Day powerless after Overmastery

- 5 the (probably) maximum multipler to your own Sand Mastery Strenght obtainable with Overmaster (it's just a number popped up with our only test subject, Kenton) but we have not many tests.

- X (unknown for now) the number of time you may Overmaster.

Khriss's expedition was the first Darksiders to set foot on Dayside in five hundred years (page 28)

The Diem owes five hundred thousand (page 321)

Chasing Sharezan for five years (page 487)

Delious had five years to contemplate his hatred for revenge (page 595)

Though unfortunately I was unable to locate a place that seemed to answer that blank has five blank. Would have been more helpful if the original writer wrote it in quote form. Then I could have located it easily with a word search. 

Has the Shardic Number Theory actually been confirmed yet? Because, I have to admit, I think a few of the ideas presented in this are tenuous at best. I mean, sure it's been 500 years since x as of when the book was published, but it's a world, and doesn't just exist for that one brief section that we see. So, at another point in history, these links of it's been x years since will be different - so would the Shard's number change? I don't find this a plausible theory. I'm surprised it's taken off. (No offence meant to ...Skaa, I think it was, but this sort of irks me for some reason.)

/rant

Has the Shardic Number Theory actually been confirmed yet? Because, I have to admit, I think a few of the ideas presented in this are tenuous at best. I mean, sure it's been 500 years since x as of when the book was published, but it's a world, and doesn't just exist for that one brief section that we see. So, at another point in history, these links of it's been x years since will be different - so would the Shard's number change? I don't find this a plausible theory. I'm surprised it's taken off. (No offence meant to ...Skaa, I think it was, but this sort of irks me for some reason.)

/rant

I am more about "Shardworld Number" than "Shard Number" but in the end we have no sure proof for both of them

/rant

To be honest, I'm not that interested in the Shardic Number Theory anymore.  I just thought it would be fun to fill in the previously redacted section of Tempus's post.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked brandon a while back, and he said something along the lines of it only applies to some shards. Not all shards have a number. I'll see if I can find the WoB later.

Edit: oops, didn't realize I was thread necroing until after I posted. Oh well.

Edited by The Only Joe