Nothing Hrathen does is just for show?

I was rereading Elantris, and at the end, when Dilaf expresses shock at Hrathen's armor being more than just ceremonial, he says "you should know by now that nothing I do is just for show."  And I couldn't help but wonder, what exactly do you call the fraudulent miracles he staged, pretending to first cause and then cure the Shaod in himself and Sarene?

There was no actual Shaod, and no actual healing, and his loud prayers to Jaddeth to "heal" something he knew wasn't real were therefore not real prayers.  The entire thing was literally just for show, set up according to a rehearsed script for the benefit of the audience, with no actual substance to it.

If I knew enough about him to know he had done this, I'd certainly never think that nothing he does is just for show!

He wasn't just trying to convert them though.
He knew that unless he succeeded, the devastation would be enormous.
And he CARED. That's the thing about Hathren.

Even though he's the antagonist, even though he's a thorn in the side of the hero's, even though he behaves as he does, he doesn't care about power for power's sake.

He cares, because he sees the destruction of Arelon not as a sign of their weakness, but a sign of HIS.

He takes upon the responsibility of thousands upon thousands of lives, both their physical and (in his eyes) their spiritual wellfare, but because he wants to spread his religion, but because he wants to save lives.

He set out with the express purpose of saving the lives of a people who at best mistrust him - at worst, hate him.

And its not a holier-than-thou exercise in self indulgence.
It isn't for show.

He is genuine - not in his miracles, not even in his beliefs. But in his honest love for human life.

Eh... I see Mason's point. We're shifting goalposts. His "miracle" is fake, but it's not just for show. So why couldn't fake armor be not-just-for-show? Why couldn't fake armor be something he does to project a sense of power?

I can see the case being made that if he could have performed a real miracle, he would have. Since he could wear real armor, he did. Still. Mason's point is valid; the line was weird. The miracle wasn't "just for show," but it does prove that fake things aren't necessarily "just for show".

If he does something he goes all the way, as I see it.

Gotta wear real armor 24/7 for real, get yourself thrown into Elantris for being cursed by the Shaod (he picked the one miracle to fake with the greatest impact, despite of what he would have to go through in the process).

He doesn't stop at the point where you understand his point, he's going to do everything properly to the end.

• Chaos locked this topic