MR13 - Cycle One: The Road Goes On

Tindomë watched the next applicant walk up. He was dressed right, although she could see he was unused to the way his pack sat on his back, but he looked uncomfortable and very unpackmanlike. He wore glasses on his nose, which was a liability when hiking through deadly mountains, and his hands had a different pattern of calluses than she usually felt, when she shook hands with him.

"State your name and experience, please."

"Zin Grey, if you please. Zinjuli, that is. But everyone calls me Zin, even my mum. It's an old family name, you see-"

"I don't need to know your full backstory. Experience guiding?"

"Yes, yes, sorry, sorry. I'm quite good with a dagger, and I've been hunting before."

"But you haven't guided anyone?"

"I- No. I don't have more than the basic training from school," he mumbled.

"Sorry, but we're only accepting people who are actually useful to this quest."

"Wait!" he said, not moving along as she gestured for him to do so. "I have to come, I just have to! I'm a historian, you see. Someone needs to be witness to these events, for posterity's sake."

She hesitated. "I was just going to record everything in a coppermind..."

"That wouldn't be necessary. I have a perfect memory, you see. I wouldn't be a burden, I promise! I can hunt for food and stand guard and whatever you need me to do! Just let me come along. Please?"

"A perfect memory. Like Kwaan's, you mean?"

"I- I suppose so... Little as it plleases me for that analogy to be made, it is true."

She frowned. He could be a friend of Rashek's. But... these were momentous events, and she'd be tied up in guarding Alendi, not recording him.

"Very well. You can come."

He grinned, and began to thank her profusely before she held up a hand. "But- You're on probation. If you can't keep up, or there is too much danger or we need a smaller party to get to the well, you will be left behind."

He nodded quietly. "Agreed." And finally, he moved on.

Tindomë turned to the next applicant.

"I'm Kholwa," he said.

"Do you have any qualifications?"

"I lived in Therana for most of my life."

"I don't recognize the name."

"It's a little mountain town, near Lenda. Kind of out of the way, but sometimes we'd get trappers hiking through. I've only been a guide once or twice, but I was excellent at it."

Tindomë frowned. Well, he seemed capable enough. But how to tell if he was Rashek's friend? "Why do you want to come on this trip?"

"Well, I've always kind of wanted to do something with my life. And when I heard about this trip, I knew I just had to go. It was like something was telling me that this was my chance at being a part of things." He rubbed his shoulder absently, remembering. "I heard about it from the town chief, you know, when he was telling all the men in the tavern. He talked about it for a while, and suddenly it just clicked. I had to go, to rescue the world from the Deepness. To protect Alendi."

Tindomë frowned, but nodded. He certainly seemed sincere. She'd keep an eye on him, just like all the others. But he'd be useful for a while, at least.

Next! And... up came an alpaca. Tindomë looked around, to see if anyone was leading it, but it seemed to be completely ownerless.

Then it spoke. "Alfred, here to apply for the quest."

"Um... What?"

It sighed. "Yes, yes, I talk. Get over it. Don't make me bite you. I have all the qualifications, plus enough food on my back to feed me for a couple of weeks and room to store more stuff if you need it. Will you take me?”

“I-” Tindomë paused. This Alfred was certainly not a friend of Rashek’s. He couldn’t be. Could he?

It was more likely that he wasn’t, she thought. So with a slightly confused smile, she waved him past to join the others.

She smiled when she saw the next applicant. Finally, someone normal. “Talion! What a pleasant surprise! I thought you weren’t coming.”

“I wouldn’t miss out on a trip like this for the world,” replied the young man with a smile. He was Tindomë’s sister’s son. “How are things going?”

“I...” She looked around. “Tell you later, okay?” She tried to force herself to smile, but it didn’t quite work. “Trouble’s afoot.”

Later that day, Tindomë watched as Alendi gave a speech to the packmen. She couldn’t focus on his words, though. She kept scanning the crowd, searching for the slightest hint of the hatred she’d seen in Rashek. It was a strange bunch, to be sure.

She shook her head. Well, at least I can trust Michek. And Asmode. I’ll have to assign them to stand guard every night... They’re going to hate that, but too bad.

She led the way out onto the road away from the city with a determined step. These traitors would not kill Alendi. Not on my watch.

Cycle 1 has begun! It will end in 48 hours.

Player List

1. Master Elodin - Alfred
2. Kynedath - Zinjuli (Zin) Grey
3. Burnt Spaghetti - Naurvessa Ghetti
4. Yafeshan - Meardih
5. Mark - Michek - Companion
6. Mailliw73 - Misan
7. Phattemer - Dyfwyl
8. ThatTinyStrawMan - Germinating Mushroom (shortened to GM for obvious reasons)
9. Deathclutch - Killua Zoldyk
10. Trelagist - Trelagist
11. Macen - Malcen
12. Arrenae - Asmode - Companion
13. Bugsy6912 - Kholwa
14. Paranoid King - Kajundi
15. IrulelikeSTINK
16. Lopen - Talion
17. The Only Joe - Jonly
18. Clanky
19. Luckat - Lucy

blu_1461207600.png

Quicklinks

Note: A few rules have been changed since signups were posted. I’d encourage you to reread them if you’ve already read them, and read them for the first time if you haven’t (duh).
All PMs should be sent.
EDIT: Clarification: Group PMs are not allowed.

Edited by Alvron

The nerve of that Tindomë, assigning Asmode to stand guard! Asmode had been planning to use the nights to fill up her metalminds, but she couldn't exactly do that while standing guard. No, not unless she wanted to make herself blinder than a bat in the hateful Deepness or weaker than a starving, newborn Khlenni.

Asmode huffed in annoyance and set her pack down. Normally, she wouldn't fill a pewtermind while carrying a pack, but normally she could spend the entire night filling her pewtermind.

"Are you alright?" Alendi asked. He'd somehow gotten ahead onto a slope that let him tower over Asmode, making him quite imposing. The sunlight glinted off of his piercings and made them look otherworldly, like something more than simple metal, and the mark on his arm seemed especially prominent. In this light, Asmode could almost see this Khlenni as the Hero the Worldbringers had prophesied.

The fact that the Worldbringers had recognized a Khlenni still left a bitter taste in her mouth, but she supposed that some of them had to be good people. Of course, that didn't make up for the rest of the idiots of Alendi's race.

"Are you alright?" Alendi repeated his question, this time with a note of concern in his voice.

Asmode scowled and stopped ogling his piercings. "Of course I am," she snapped. She hefted her pack onto her shoulder and walked past him. Hero of Ages or not, she'd rot in the Deepness before she let a Khlenni outpace her.

First day of the trek. Reached the foothills. Base camp set up.

Michek observed the mass of pack men around him as he made his way to the dias. How could any of them be traitors? They all look so eager He thought to himself.

Finally, he reached the footstool at the edge of the room.

Clearing his throat, Mishek spoke "Welcome fellow travelers! Nice to have you on this trek."

The crowd fell silent. Everyone looked at him. A few stared at his face, a few at his feet, and others at the markings on his arms. "And you are?" Asked a voice in the crowd.

"I am Mishek, loyal companion to Alendi.

So, before we set off further, I'd like to set a few ground rules. No one shall come in close contact with Alendi. All contact shall be made through me.

Secondly, no insulting, fighting or stealing will be allowed. All people caught breaking this rule will be left behind.

Your payment shall be handed over to you once this quest is completed."

Sighing, Mishek looked around the cabin once. "Any questions?"

The gathering fulminantly burst into chaos. People shouting out their opinions, getting louder by the second to make sure they were heard.

"QUIET!" Mishek screamed throatily. The resultant silence was unmatched by any Mishek had ever seen. "On second thought, any questions shall be entertained privately."

Turning to step of the footstool, Mishek remembered one last point. "Oh! And those of you who wish to stop us may leave right now. Once we really start this journey, you will not be spared. This is your last chance to turn back."

With that Michek stepped off of the pedestal. A chill ran down his spine at what he guessed were hostile stares from traitors. Turning behind, he saw no one looking at him. I'll just have to be extra careful now.

-----------

So, any ideas to clear people, anyone?

PM me if you want to. I can keep your secrets. :ph34r:

Edited by Mark IV

So for the every 3 cycles tapping brass, are we assumed to have tapped last cycle meaning that we don't have to again until turn 3?

Edit: Yep meant Brass, thanks

Edited by Clanky

I feel it's important to note something at the beginning of the game: we have no scanners. There is absolutely no way to clear anyone beyond the Companions, except, I suppose, if someone taps bronze on someone who is attacked by the traitors and survives in some fashion or another.

This, however, is unlikely to happen and still includes the risk of a WGG.

Therefore, we need to be discussing and lynching right away, starting C1. A no-lynch has almost no benefit to us, and shouldn't ever happen.

I'll start some discussion with my ideas for the best uses of powers:

Iron: Storing iron isn't as useful now that it does take an action. It is, however, the only useful storing ability. Tapping iron is probably only going to be done by the traitors. It could be useful to isolate suspicious people if we think there's only one or two traitors left, but that probably won't happen.

Steel: The only use I can see for storing steel is if someone really needs to be untargetable. It's not worth the 40% chance of death, though. Tapping steel however, is extremely useful. Not only does it have the effects of storing iron, but also you can't be lynched unless it's with 3 votes.

Pewter: Storing: only useful because it gives you a charge. Tapping: only useful to the traitors. I would strongly recommend against any vigilante Brutes.

Tin: Storing: again, nothing here. Tapping, however: you're invulnerable to attacks. This could be very useful if you happen to learn who attacked you, if it was with pewter.

Brass: Nothing here. Just tap it every third turn, unless you're feeling likely.

Zinc: Storing: I'm obviously not! 50 words is a lot less than it sounds, but it could be worth it if you're not going to contribute much anyway.

Tapping: You can get a second action next turn. Very cool. This probably goes best with steel, since you could store and then tap, and gain all the benefits without needing a charge beforehand, and- if you can pull it off- zinc itself.

Bronze: Storing: not too bad a penalty for storing, but in this game we really need our votes, so be careful with it.

Tapping: This is one of our only potentials for scanning, but it only tells you the actions on the player, not the IDs of who did them.

Gold: Storing: I suggest that everyone store gold early on, since if you don't have a charge when you're injured you'll have to wait to recover. Tapping: Obviously, just do it if you're injured.

Landslides: It's too bad we can't make group PMs, since that would be the best thing for landslides. However, we can just make a circle of PMs, i.e. A, B, C, D, and E are in a landslide.

A makes a PM with B.

B makes a PM with C.

C makes a PM with D.

D makes a PM with E.

E makes a PM with A.

Or two of them can make PMs with everyone.

In either case, people would just pass along whatever was said, and it could be confirmed by the original sender once E, in the above example, sent it back to A.

Falls: I think you should probably say if you were in a fall, just so people know you are roleblocked.

GMs, would the traitor kill look like a pewter attack to bronze?

Are you notified if you're tapping tin and were attacked?

Are the Companions untargetable by actions or at least immune to kills?

Is the 50% chance of freezing from lack of brass cumulative, or does it stay at 50%?

If you tap 2 charges of zinc in a turn, do you get 3 or 4 actions the next turn?

Is the 50% chance of recovering cumulative, or does it stay at 50%?

For the traitors, does storing zinc apply to their doc

When are you informed you were in a fall? Is it at the end of the first cycle for which you're roleblocked?

If the companions are not immune, we should probably get their input now, since I assume they'll be killed the first 2 cycles.

GMs, would the traitor kill look like a pewter attack to bronze?

Are you notified if you're tapping tin and were attacked?

Are the Companions untargetable by actions or at least immune to kills?

Is the 50% chance of freezing from lack of brass cumulative, or does it stay at 50%?

If you tap 2 charges of zinc in a turn, do you get 3 or 4 actions the next turn?

Is the 50% chance of recovering cumulative, or does it stay at 50%?

For the traitors, does storing zinc apply to their doc

When are you informed you were in a fall? Is it at the end of the first cycle for which you're roleblocked?

First off, a group PM will be made for those caught in a landslide. This is the only group PM that will be allowed.

The traitor kill will not look like a pewter attack.

You are notified.

Companions are not untargetable nor immune to kills.

It stays at 50%.

Four actions.

Stays at 50%.

Yes.

Yes, it's then.