AonDor

So I was having a debate with another 17th Shard user about Elantrians, and since he's never read Elantris, he asked me to specify what specific powers Aons did. In Elantris, it only mentions a couple, such as:

1. Shields

2. Energy Bolts

3. Explosions

4. Light

5. Teleportation

6. Lightweaving

7. Traveling Between Realms?

I know there are more, so it would be nice if someone let me know what some other Aons are.

Thanks

And I do believe it's entirely possible that they did not know their full limits even at the height of their power. Aons are a discovered script, not a manufactured one. There may be more.

They seem almost omnipotent really.

Known powers of AonDor:

Healing (Aonic scripts starting with Aon Ien)

Lightweaving (Aonic scripts starting with Aon Shao)

Fireballs (Aon Ashe)

Magic Missile (Aon Daa)

Teleportation (Aonic scripts beginning with Aon Tia)
Force Fields (Aon Edo)

Transfiguration (mentioned in "The Hope of Elantris" - Raoden mentions that he can turn trash into corn, but doesn't mention which Aon.  Presumably another use of Aon Shao)

And, of course, immortality (In the Elantrian job description) 

However, this is only the first we've seen of AonDor, and there are numerous Aons which we have never seen used by an Elantrian.  Used correctly, the powers on offer are virtually innumerable.  

Edited by Landis963

As far as I can tell, the powers of AonDor are almost unlimited, given unlimited time.  The difficulty is with the knowledge of what you are doing, as well as getting the fine controls correct.

It's a lot like science, actually.

There's a list of some effects in the Coppermind. Aon Omi makes the people around you experience love, but you can only use it if you love those around you. Aon Ene shines with something called the light of the mind that provides temporary clarity of thought. Aon Kii causes physical pain to the guilty. Ashe, of course, simply generates light. Ate, apparently, can make a room silent, though this seems to be based on deleted material. Nae is the binocular aon.

We can try to speculate about others. The Aon for Water might just produce water, like how Ehe produces fire. Aha might make wind, or perhaps it just freshens the air, like if you're trapped underground it makes the air breathable again? I wonder what Dii does. Does it just make wood? If you draw it do the lines just turn into wood and fall to the ground?

I don't think you can create matter out of nothing, one gram of matter would require the same amount of energy as a nuke and I don't think the dor is that powerful. Perhaps it transforms a object into wood or water, or manipulates existing sources.

I don't think you can create matter out of nothing, one gram of matter would require the same amount of energy as a nuke and I don't think the dor is that powerful. Perhaps it transforms a object into wood or water, or manipulates existing sources.

Investiture can become matter and energy

What Moridin said. If the Dor can become heat and light, generating power from nothing, why can't it become water?

Also, can you point me to a source on how much energy would be required to generate water?

Perhaps water then just draws the moisture in the air to a central point, drying the air but giving you a bucket of usable water? And the idea of an aon being able to "soulcast" something into wood amuses me.

When Shai changes her table, it goes from a simple rickety one to a huge, ornately carved one. There's no way the mass remains equivalent. She's proving that realmatics sometime obviate conservation of mass.

Lerasium, Atium, the mists, Shardic Investiture clearly can become matter, though whether an Elantrian could channel enough to create matter is another question.

As for how much energy would be required to create water it's actually fairly simple, E=mc^2 gives you most of it. So 1 gram of water would require 900,000,000,000,000,000,000 ergs. or 90,000,000,000,000 (9.0 * 10^14) a quick google search puts a 1 megaton nuclear blast at aroun 4 *10^15 joules, so not quite an atomic bomb but close.

This is the sort of fantasy where the author tries to leave as much of physics intact as possible though.

I mean a character actually goes and brings up our long-pondered mystery of time bubbles and red shift after seeking evidence for the conservation of momentum in steelpushes.

IIRC atium and lerasium are normal metals infused with investure, the investure overwrote the spiritual aspects of the metal, giving it special abilities.

Investiture can become matter and energy

Investure is energy, matter is energy too, just in a different form, as Voidus explained, e=mc^2 shows this.

IIRC atium and lerasium are normal metals infused with investure, the investure overwrote the spiritual aspects of the metal, giving it special abilities.

Investure is energy, matter is energy too, just in a different form, as Voidus explained, e=mc^2 shows this.

That's true but the matter for Atium also condenses solely out of Investiture.

Remember, this is fantasy.  Physics don't really apply the way that we think they do, especially when it comes to magic.

Physics still apply, just not always in the way we expect. So while it takes vastly more energy to create matter than to create heat or movement it might not necessarily take more Investiture due to the cosmeres specific nature.

Investiture isn't energy, at least not in that way.  Investiture, matter, and energy  can transform between each other.

The cosmere takes physics from our universe, and adds additional layers to it. Where we have energy and matter (simplified), the cosmere has additional building blocks that make reality. Investiture is one of these. It IS possible to change matter, to energy, to investiture, and back.

(source)

Ruin and Preservation created the entire planet of Scadrians, so I would expect investiture can become energy and matter. However the conversion rate from investiture to matter feels like something along 1:1. A little bit of investiture is a little bit of matter (and antimatter, due to pair production), but is equivilant to a lot of energy. Though soulcasting doesn't appear to use too much investiture compared to attraction fabrials, so I'm probably wrong.

Soulcasting doesn't create matter, though, it changes matter from one substance to another.

On the other hand, the energy you'd need to achieve that using mundane means is probably off the charts as well; does anyone have access to the Large Hadron Collider's electricity bill?

Yup.

The bill was just charged to the amount of: ALL OF THE MONEY

• Chaos locked this topic