Mafia Championships 2024 Rep  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to represent our community at the mafia championships this year?

• DrakeMarshall
    • Experience

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 04/20/24 at 03:58 AM

You're a strong player, despite your luck, and more importantly, I feel like you'd represent us well. That said, I think availability is the most important thing, so if you won't have the time, that's absolutely fine.

Meta, you haven't weighed in on your own nominations. Would you be able to do it?

I hadn't weighed in yet because I wanted to make sure that we had a broad list of possible candidates. With so many people nominating me, I didn't want to shut down discussion of anyone else as a possible representative. 

I don't know if you guys really want me to be our rep. I mean, while I feel like I do pretty decent when I'm a villager, every time I've been an Eliminator, I've lost spectacularly. Knowing my luck, I'd wind up an Eliminator in the first game and blow it.  :P

I'm also not sure if I should. Not can't, but should. I'm in the process of apt. hunting as we speak and I need to move around August. If the games go long, I might be in the middle of a move about the same time that the final would start. Granted, we might not even make it to the final, or the times wouldn't overlap at all, or they might be willing to delay the final for me (They've done so in the past from what I've heard) and even if they did overlap, I'm sure I could still keep up. The question though is whether or not I should then, knowing that it's possible at all, not that I couldn't.

There's also the matter of maintaining the games going here smoothly. While I'm confident that Wilson and Alv can handle it (and Gamma might be back soon too! yay!), I wouldn't want to leave them high and dry without making sure first. I think that it won't be a problem since, if Wilson was capable, I know that I'd be more than willing to step up so that she could play, but I won't speak for them.

All of that said, I'll leave myself as a possible nominee and let you guys decide when we start the poll whether you'd still want me to be our Rep. 

Speaking of:

Ah! Point taken: read more carefully.  :rolleyes:

Thus why Wonko probably shouldn't be our nominee. :P Just messing with you, Wonko! 

If we're really trying to show off what makes us unique, I think our delegate should be ready to do a little RPing.

Based on what I've seen, these guys take their games seriously. Easily half of them typically don't even have a theme to their games; just, "Here's the possible roles. Sign up." I don't think they'd take kindly to a lot of RP. Then again, with the way that we tend to do it here, where the RP and the OOC discussion is separated, is probably the most acceptable form of it. 

My nominees would probably be (I love that we're putting their names in red; almost as if we're lynching them by nominating them :P ) Wilson, Alv, GammaAonar, Kas, Maill, Joe, Wyrm, Aman, Hael, Hero, Lopen, Burnt, Wonko, or Elbereth

I know that's a lot of names and some of them have already said that they can't do it. But we just have so many great players here that I'd actually be willing to send any one of us here and expect them to do well. :) Those are just the people I'd pick out right now. 

We'll likely start the poll sometime this weekend so that everyone will have plenty of time to vote before we need to let them know our Champion. Ideally, we'd like to get them our Rep by the 15th-16th, so that they'll be able to figure out which game they should be in well in advance. 

They call that hydra-ing and it's against the rules for multiple reasons, but yes, that would be awesome. We just have too many great players! 

But I doubt this will be the only time that we do this. I'm sure that we'll likely be invited back next year since whomever we send will do an amazing job. We'll send someone else each time so that, eventually, everyone gets a chance.

But it would make getting a read on a player that much more difficult. You wouldn't know who sent what message at any given point in time. Plus, you'd basically have the entirety of each site trying to analyze and go over everything (because how would you keep track of over a hundred communities to make sure that they don't). And it would be kind of a bad move to switch players halfway through, just when people started to get a read of one person. 

Just a few of the reasonable reasons why they're against it and I'd agree. 

Do remember that they're willing to work within a player's schedule (so if you haven't stepped up because of such, feel free! We will try to make sure they'll work around your schedule). Our Rep doesn't necessarily need to be available for the entirety of April through July. We could get them in the last qualifying game; which would make it so they just have to be available through July basically and I'm sure, just as we are willing to work with our GMs, that they'll try to accommodate everyone as much as possible.

So while I totally understand what you mean about the commitment, I think that it works out better this way overall. After all, who would you crown Ultimate Champion then? The person who played the first game to get them to the final or the player who, through no previous effort, stepped up to play in the final? The forum as a whole? But doesn't that then defeat the idea of a singular Champion? 

Perhaps that would work if it was a longer tournament. One where there are multiple rounds. But since this is just a single qualifier game (and a wildcard) and then the finals, I don't think it's needed. Just my two cents; not that we have a say in the matter anyways. While I agree with their rules, it's not like we could change them even if we wanted to.

Edited by Metacognition

Er, thanks for the number of nominations I seem to have received...it's not the kind of thing a fellow quite expects to return to the forum to see. :blink: I'd like to be asked to be removed from the nominations process as I don't see myself as being on the 17S forums or playing SE for the foreseeable future apart from Maili's game, much less being anywhere else (although it'd always be nice to be proven wrong.)

Personally, I'd like to nominate lynch Meta to die to prepare for glory because it's not about winning, it's about psychological warfare and terrifying them into submission. Having noted that Meta might be pretty busy, as a backup, and respecting the M'Hael's busyness, I'd go for the Wyrm'alor, Maili or my Skaa Bro, Lopen.

Back to the hell of final year. #Kasout

Edit: I forgot to mention, Seonid also looks like he could do with a good dose of glory :P

Edited by Kasimir

Edit: I forgot to mention, Seonid also looks like he could do with a good dose of glory :P

So, what have I done to make you believe that I might be a Spiked? :P

Just kidding. I'm honored for the nomination, though I really do feel there are better qualified players to represent us in SE. (Now, if there was a worldbuilding contest or something, or a fantasy/sci-fi physics contest, I'd be much more confident representing us.)

So, what have I done to make you believe that I might be a Spiked? :P

Just kidding. I'm honored for the nomination, though I really do feel there are better qualified players to represent us in SE. (Now, if there was a worldbuilding contest or something, or a fantasy/sci-fi physics contest, I'd be much more confident representing us.)

The Wyrm Inquisition never needs a reason. I find your lack of faith disturbing :ph34r:

Okay guys, the poll is live with everyone that has been nominated and hasn't said that they are not willing to do so. If I'm missing anyone, please let me know. You can vote for multiple people (please don't just vote for everyone though or I will have to switch that) and it doesn't show who voted for whom. The poll will be open until the 15th, so everyone has 5 days to decide. Who ever has the most votes by the end will be our nominee and the person with the second most votes will be their back up, should something come up. 

If you're on the list and you don't want to be one of our possible reps, please let me know and I'll get you taken off the list. I'll also be contacting those that are on the list but haven't checked in here yet to make sure that they're okay with being our nominee. 

Best of luck to everyone and remember, even if you're not picked this year, next year is still a good possibility! :)

Edited by Metacognition

Wow, guys! Thanks so much for nominating and voting for me; I feel quite honored that you all think so highly of me. :) I thought I might be able to do this, but I just realized the dates are likely to be such that I can't participate. As a lot of you know, I'll be leaving during the summer to serve a mission for the LDS church for two years. I could be leaving sometime in July, but it's not certain yet and won't be until a week after this championship starts. So, I must regretfully drop out and wish the best of luck to whomever is chosen!

Can we vote for Windrunner?

Windrunner was not nominated and/or volunteered during the time period where we were doing such things. If we continue to add new people to the list as we are trying to decide, we'll never come to consensus. 

Along that note though, I've talked to Wilson and Alv and they do not feel comfortable maintaining the games and everything else we do here without the assurances that Gamma would be back (which we don't have) for as long as it would take for the Championship to run. As I said before, my ability to be our representative was all hinged on their acceptance as well and I put the order and function of our subforum here above and beyond getting the chance to play in their Championship games. 

As such, I've taken myself and Maill (due to him also being incapable of doing so) off of the poll. :( Best of luck to those that are left! 

I'm surprised I've gotten as many votes as I have as well, considering that I haven't played in almost a year. :P  I'll probably be back in about a month, though.

Perfect! Take my vote! :P

How am I second? I haven't even been on the forum for a fortnight, let alone the Elimination subforum!

This is why you need to stop backstabbing people >>

Edited by Kasimir

So an idea has been floated out there about the polling and we wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it. 

It's been suggested that we take the top 3 from this poll and reset up the poll with only them as our candidates. Then everyone only gets one vote. The idea here is to have a clear consensus of who our Champion should be. With everyone having the ability to vote for multiple people on this poll, this would limit the options as well as making it obvious who has the most support of our community as a whole. The person with the most votes out of the three would be our Champion and the person with the second most votes would be our back up, should our rep have something come up. 

So is this something everyone would like? If so, we'd need to do so very soon to give everyone a chance at casting their second vote, so speak up if you'd like to see this. 

My personal thoughts on it is that it's unnecessary, as I'm perfectly content with any and all of our possible candidates as is. I don't know if I even could just choose one person out of the top three! But if everyone else would like to do that, we can definitely do it. So, thoughts?