Mafia Championships 2024 Rep  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to represent our community at the mafia championships this year?

• DrakeMarshall
    • Experience

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 04/20/24 at 03:58 AM

I hath recieved a letter!

~~~~INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 9)~~~~

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 9 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 135 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 24th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate (a back-up) who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600-700 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!

SEASON 9 FORMAT

The tournament structure
135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.

• QUALIFIERS: 9 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
  • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 8 will select 27 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 9 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Mountainous 15er

• 3x Mafia Goon
  • 12x Vanilla Townie

Relevant mechanics info

• Day start.
  • Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
  • Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
  • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
  • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
  • Thread is locked during Night Phases.
  • Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO
  • Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia factional kill is mandatory.
  • Mafia may communicate at any time.
  • Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 1 hour before day end).
  • The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

SEASON 9 TIMELINE

There will be 9 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from the end of April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Lissa#8083).

Kind regards,
Lissa

Deadline to choose our rep is April 24th!!!

Spoiler

Obligatory warning note from Illwei about the atmosphere on MU being different, but also that champs is different itself. if you are worried about the high posting or competitiveness/aggressiveness you do have somewhat of a say in what cycle lengths you prefer and how aggressive of a game you think you can take/want.

Accepted Nominations:

1. Matrim
  2. Araris
  3. Striker
  4. Aman (low priority?)
  5. DrakeMarshall

Pending Nominations:

Declined Nominations:

1. Archer
  2. Illwei
  3. TJ
  4. Stick
  5. Ashbringer
  6. Devo
  7. Kasimir
  8. Experience
Edited by Illwei

Oh yeah, Striker should have a nomination as well

My availability depends on a few things, though that shouldn't be anything the game scheduling couldn't work around... If you're able to pick a lower post/lower aggressiveness game that'd be nice xD But I can accept the nomination, thanks!

2 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

a championship game flooded with memes

Memes would unironically fit in perfectly on a D1 :P.

Stick is also a good one :P. Particularly her play in AG8 for real

Edited by Illwei

10 minutes ago, Illwei said:

How could i forget to Nominate Aman!!!! :P.

Ew how could you why would I ever want to return to that cesspool of automatic mafia vote bots and post isolation buttons and threadmarks...

Anyway, I would legitimately love to go again (I still want to make it to finals so I can be on the Jury in a future Championship >>), but will defer to any first-timers that can and are willing!

Probably don't vote for me in the upcoming poll, but I will very likely be available for any game, any time, so can pinch hit or step up if no one else is up for it when the day comes.

Edited by Amanuensis

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I want to be able to say that I’ve done this. If I don’t do it this year, I might not be able to do it ever again because I’m going to start getting significantly busier in the future once I start my real job. So I’m gonna accept the nomination 

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

I'm... I'll pass. I'm overwhelmed enough by 70 posts a turn, 700 would break something.

Plus there's a 50/50 shot I'll end up just doing RP and make people very confused.

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

That could be fun though :eyes:

What Mat said :P it would definitely be something to just go into a game and only RP, win or lose.

Edited by Amanuensis

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Kas, even though I'm pretty sure they'll opt out. They should have the option to do it, even if they don't. 

14 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

TBH I should have nominated Kas too, tho I also didn't think too because I'm also certain he'd say no :P

Thanks, but I'm retired :P

Also, filthy casual with temper issues who can't be Evil to save his life, and my sanity would much prefer I stay far, far away from such situations :P

Appreciate the thought, and the kindness, but nomination rejected with zero hesitation, as anticipated :P

Edited by Kasimir
justification