Mafia Championships 2024 Rep  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to represent our community at the mafia championships this year?

• DrakeMarshall
    • Experience

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/24 at 03:58 AM

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, randuir said:

A small schedule change has occurred. My game (now Game 3) will start in... *checks watch*... about 18 hours. So yeah, I apologize to all of you that had already ordered their popcorn for June.

Oh what fun. Try not to fall dead in the next 18 hours, I have a music trip on friday that would make it hard to replace you :P

2 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Oh what fun. Try not to fall dead in the next 18 hours, I have a music trip on friday that would make it hard to replace you :P

Wait, you want me to not kill him now?  Didn't you want me to kill Rand so you got into the Championships?  Plans are in motion.  It might be too late to back out now.

3 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Wait, you want me to not kill him now?  Didn't you want me to kill Rand so you got into the Championships?  Plans are in motion.  It might be too late to back out now.

...Alv. I have an inconceivably important game to run here in a week or two. I definitely said nothing like that, you troll.  

Just now, Steeldancer said:

...Alv. I have an inconceivably important game to run here in a week or two. I definitely said nothing like that, you troll.  

Right, right.  You totally didn't tell me to kill anyone.  /wink

18 hours ago, randuir said:

A small schedule change has occurred. My game (now Game 3) will start in... *checks watch*... about 18 hours. So yeah, I apologize to all of you that had already ordered their popcorn for June.

*sees this, along with timestamp of "18 hours ago"*

• 2 weeks later...

And it's over: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/16893-Season-5-Game-3-MU-Emoji-Convention!!!-The-Mafia-Championship

And the town lost, and I trusted the wrong two people all the way at the end resulting in a group that i thought contained the entire elim team containing only a single elim :wacko:

Anyway, if there was a spec doc or something, can I get a look at it now?

• 9 months later...

So, another year or so has passed since the last championships, which means that it's once again time for the mafia championship!

This invitation contains all the juicy details, but let me quickly give the bits of info that are most important right now:

the Deadline for selecting a representative is the 26th of April, with the games of the competition happening during April, May and June (each game taking 2-3 weeks on average, and you'll play in at most a qualifying game, the wildcard game and then the finals). We can send a single representative, so I suggest we use the next week or so for general nominations and checking who is interested in representing us, and if a mod could rig this thread up with a pol afterwards so we can vote for who should represent us, that'd be great.

Now, a quick pass on my personal experience representing us last year. First of all, playing in the championship is intense. During that time, I spend all my free time on it(which was less than usual, as it coincided with my internship), and I still felt like I was falling behind a decent chunk of the time. That doesn't mean it wasn't fun, but you should keep in mind that you'll need to put in a lot of time each day (the most prolific poster in my game had as many posts on his own as an average LG on these forums has in total).

It was also (mostly) a lot of fun to interact with some new faces and see some different play-styles, and I'd say that being exposed to new approaches and stepping out of our own meta definitely helped me improve as a player.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to kick them towards Amanuensis (@Adavantos) or me if it's about our experiences playing, or int eh direction of @Thingyman if it's somethign related to the logistics of the tournament.

Now then, on to nominations (as usual, vote in red :P) : Furami @Furamirionind, I've been quite impressed by your entrance into our community and the games I've seen you play, so do you reckon you've got the guts time to represent us?

edit: link to my championship game from last year

Edited by Aranduensis

39 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Thanks for thinking of me. :D

Unfortunately, I also won't likely have time needed to participate in this, especially if it lasts three months. 

The game itself likely lasts about 2 weeks or so, with ten games spread over three months. Last year, I could indiacate which start-time I preferred, and I expect the same thing to happen this year. Sorry if that was not clear.

41 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

Wow, I am honored by your nomination. 

I think if Fifth, Elandera, or Devotary (All already tagged) are able to do this, they would be my picks as well.

Out of curiosity, how many hours did you have to put into this a day?

It was basically my every waking moment I wasnt at work. So about 8 hours a day. So fun and worth it, but exhausting 

Is it that time of year already?  My how time flies when you're busy killing people.

Make your nominations everyone and in approximately two weeks, we will open up a poll for everyone to vote for their chosen sacrifice.
If you think you will be unable to commit the time required (which is quite the large amount) then please say so early enough for others to nominate another.

Edit: Before you ask, yes, I am unable to commit the time required at this stage.

46 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

Wow, I am honored by your nomination. 

I think if Fifth, Elandera, or Devotary (All already tagged) are able to do this, they would be my picks as well.

Out of curiosity, how many hours did you have to put into this a day?

As Aman said, pretty much my every waking moment, which I think amounted to about 6-8 hours a day at that time.

Edited by Aranduensis

7 minutes ago, Aranduensis said:

As Aman said, pretty much my every waking moment, which I think amounted to about 6-8 hours a day at that time.

Wow. That’s insane. I remember trying to spectate a game once and I couldn’t keep up. But it sounds like a great experience. Who has all played before, aside from Aman and Rand?

Just now, The Storm said:

Wow. That’s insane. I remember trying to spectate a game once and I couldn’t keep up. But it sounds like a great experience. Who has all played before, aside from Aman and Rand?

M'Hael was our first champion.

23 hours ago, Aranduensis said:

The game itself likely lasts about 2 weeks or so, with ten games spread over three months. Last year, I could indiacate which start-time I preferred, and I expect the same thing to happen this year. Sorry if that was not clear.

In that case, I might be able to make time. But I'd prefer not to if anyone were more available to play.