Shakespeare

Murasaki

Anybody want to talk about Will?

Speak in iambic pentameter? 

What's your favourite play? 

Macbeth for me.   I've always wanted to direct a version where the Weird Sisters are the Norns and actress is cast as Lady Macbeth and Hecate.  I want to do a really dark and witchy version.  

Wow.   Macbeth is my favorite tragedy and Richard iii is my favorite history, so I'll just sit here for a minute looking unoriginal.  My favorite comedy is Twelfth Night, which is almost painfully funny in many places.  Timon of Athens has several of my favorite lines and scenes, but it doesn't gel as well as a play overall.  In other drama, I can't recommend Schiller's Don Carlos highly enough: it is a magnificent, beautiful, soul-shattering play.  Get Charles Passage's translation if you possibly can.

Sonnet 147 all the way! "My love is as a fever, longing still/ For that which longer nurseth the disease/ Feeding on that which doth preserve the ill/ Th'uncertain sickly appetites to please."  My highschool English teacher taught that one with strange passion.  Turns out she was in the middle of a torrid love affair in which she was schtupping an assistant coach under the football bleachers.

Plus, Captain Picard does a mean rendition of its opening lines.

Edited by ecohansen

It may be a common answer, but I really like Hamlet, as well as most of the tragedies. Never seen or read most of the histories, and should do. Less of a fan of the comedies, but A Midsummer Night's Dream has grown on me and I do like Twelfth Night.

Am back in London proper next year so will make some more effort to see some Shakespeare at the Globe or in the Park

It may be a common answer, but I really like Hamlet, as well as most of the tragedies. Never seen or read most of the histories, and should do. Less of a fan of the comedies, but A Midsummer Night's Dream has grown on me and I do like Twelfth Night.

Am back in London proper next year so will make some more effort to see some Shakespeare at the Globe or in the Park

It's a common answer cause Hamlet's one of his best.  ;)

The history plays are excellent overall, though I'm not a big fan of Richard II, which gets pretty dry. Henry V is probably my personal favorite, though I haven't had a chance to see it live, unfortunately. Kenneth Branagh's 1989 film adaption of Henry V is fantastic, though!

I'm doing Midsummer right now, and it's really grown on me. I liked it before, but I appreciate it a lot more now. 

Favorite play. Hmm... I really like Othello and Hamlet. Of the comedies, I enjoy The Winter's Tale and The Taming of the Shrew. When I was in like 6th or 7th grade, our entire grade put on a production of Taming of the Shrew. Since there were way more students than actual characters, we split into smaller groups that each did one scene. I ended up saddled with the part of Katherine in the very last scene, the one where she gives this long rant about how wives should be obedient to their husbands. (Apparently no one else wanted to tackle that monologue. XD)

Last semester at BYU I was in a Shakespeare class, and our professor told us that our final exam would be two parts: a solo performance of 14-20 lines and a group performance of a scene. For my solo portion I performed part of the Merchant of Venice in which one of Portia's suitors vacillates over which casket to open. I bought some miniature wooden treasure chests from Michaels and painted them gold, silver, and dull gray to use as props for the gold, silver, and lead caskets, and had a great time hamming it up in front of the class. For the collaborative part of the exam, my group acted out a scene from Othello with sock puppets.

/off-topic: Lindel, you get an upvote for your hilarious signature. ;)

Edited by Sunbird

Sonnet 147 all the way! "My love is as a fever, longing still/ For that which longer nurseth the disease/ Feeding on that which doth preserve the ill/ Th'uncertain sickly appetites to please."  My highschool English teacher taught that one with strange passion.  Turns out she was in the middle of a torrid love affair in which she was schtupping an assistant coach under the football bleachers.

Plus, Captain Picard does a mean rendition of its opening lines.

My fave rendition is David Tennant's and Catherine Tate's Comic Relief scene from a few years ago (2007 I think), where Catherine just regales 130 so perfectly. I really wanted to see them perform in Much Ado or Twelfth night, whichever it was so long ago, they're like my fave actors in this regard

I really liked MacBeth. It's fun to read out loud, especially the witch parts. I'm working on writing an albums worth of doom metal songs based on the play, though it's pretty doubtful anyone will ever get a chance to hear them.

The best rendition of a Shakespeare play I ever saw was a cowboy western Taming of the Shrew. It was really well executed (which kinda surprised me) considering it kept the dialogue ver batum except for a part where one of the characters briefly slipped into spanglish. Was beautiful.

I also have a skull that lives on my dresser named Yuric.

If you enjoy Shakespeare parody/spoofs, take a look at William Shakespeare's Star Wars. The author, Ian Doescher, has adapted all six original saga Star Wars movies into five-act Shakespeare plays, complete with iambic pentameter, puns, references to actual Shakespeare plays as well as to modern pop culture, and Elizabethan-style illustrations.

If you enjoy Shakespeare parody/spoofs, take a look at William Shakespeare's Star Wars. The author, Ian Doescher, has adapted all six original saga Star Wars movies into five-act Shakespeare plays, complete with iambic pentameter, puns, references to actual Shakespeare plays as well as to modern pop culture, and Elizabethan-style illustrations.

I need this

I watched a table reading of one of those Shakespeare Star Wars plays. It was great. I want to stage one badly.

My brother (who, like me, is a student at BYU-Provo) says he knows someone who wants to put on a production of one too. I would TOTALLY pay to see that!