why didn't brandon make heralds like mistborn?

sh3nahz

This isnt a theory or anything just a random tangent. i had a thought the today reading though some of the posts about the surges and combinations and the heralds. before i start i know the powers the heralds weld come from the honor blades supposedly this being shown by sezth possessing windrunner powers. We haven't seen in point of view how the heralds used their powers. in the mistborn books actual mistborn power and ability to burn all metals seems overpowered compared to the mistings, this could be said the same as the orginal terris fuerchemist being able to use all metals which suposedly have been lost by wax and wayne era, which makes the twin born abilities and parings so interesting and diverse and would lead to so many great plot points, strengths and weaknesses

This train of thought got me thinking about the orginal heralds. why do you think sanderson didnt make the heralds have the ability to use all the surges innatley like mistborns? suposedly honor gave them the powers without the need of nahel bond, they could of received all the surges and been given dominance over two specific surges through the honor blades to maintain balance as such. The spren later wanted to recreate this power but could only maintain two surges instead of all ten. It would tie into his theme in other cosmere novels where power in the past was greater and now after a loss there is a re emergence of magic in a weaker but more diverse form with more intrigue towards combinations and balance of power. I mean the heralds were ment to be powerful enough to defeat the desolations and hold the power of a odium on Braize, why wouldnt they be able to use all the surges?  

What's to say Sanderson could have even done this with the system he wanted to make? Perhaps he designed it do that one splinter (presumably honorblades are splinter-like in composition, since they behave like other shardblades physically) and the bond it produces would not even be capable of manifesting more than two surges.

We also do not know the full capabilities of heralds. Evidence points to them being already superhuman without stormlight.

As far as I can tell that "theme" of power vs diversity has only happened . . . once.

Edited by natc

i like that explanation Natc thank you for answering my ponderings. I like all of brandons magic systems because of they all seem to be cleverly tought out with balance, limitations, costs and rewards and dangers of overuse.  i used to watch magic the gathering videos on how they playtest their sets in rnd phase. i can imagine brandon doing this with each of his magic systems trying to break them then fix them and make sure one isnt too overpowered during the world building. i cant wait till the second mistborn era to see how all the magic systems will presumably interact with each other 

ah, when i meant greater power breaking up into more diversity i meant when the one power broke into the 16 shards each shard each had powers smaller than the orginal yet more diverse in nature and when they created life (from what we have seen thus far) each planet or peoples where more diverse with different investures. On Scadrial allomancy and ferochemy themselves seens to be wheening yet they seemd to be sprouting new twin born combinations. in a differn't way on Sel the shattering of the shards and the reod seemed to have claimed all knowlege the elantrians before them had so after Raoden healed the magic system it would have to adapt and change as that society would have to be rebuilt and reorganised as knowledge would be lost. In warbreaker we could see the five scholars as being the height of knowledge leading to much being lost after the manywar. by the events in warbreaker society had rebuilt itself but it probably looked very different to the time before the manywar and awakingings being used in vary differnt ways to what vasher could do. In MB SH the elantrians seemed to be using fabrial type crystal which could mean that since the many years between elantris and mistborn era 1 they learnt new skills. im probably realy poor at explaining what i want to say and theres probably a ton of holes in my thoughts.

its probably summed up as: theres an era of great magic - events happen - knowledge is lost - society rebuilds - people regain knowledge of past powers - things are different as time/society/peoples/philosophy/science has changes (this is an era of great magic) -events happen ... ect      (sanderson was influenced by the wheel of time and out own earth history)  

Edited by sh3nahz

The pairings are natural to the world, in the same way that on Scadrial you're either born a Misting or a Mistborn, you don't get born with half of the powers. It's probably possible, just less natural.

The Surges are a lot different from the metal powers. It's one thing to be able to push on metal; it's something else entirely to be able to alter gravity. If you had access to every single Surge, along with the extra abilities granted by all of the interactions, you would pretty much be a god.

Actually, it might be interesting to discover just what would happen to someone that did get access to every single Surge. They would probably need an enormous amount of Investiture to power every Surge simultaneously, but they could probably do some absolutely insane stuff.

The Surges are a lot different from the metal powers. It's one thing to be able to push on metal; it's something else entirely to be able to alter gravity. If you had access to every single Surge, along with the extra abilities granted by all of the interactions, you would pretty much be a god.

Actually, it might be interesting to discover just what would happen to someone that did get access to every single Surge. They would probably need an enormous amount of Investiture to power every Surge simultaneously, but they could probably do some absolutely insane stuff.

Would probably look a lot like someone holding the bands

• Chaos locked this topic