i wonder why there isnt a greater fan presence on youtube/podcasts

sh3nahz

I love this forum and the theories the sanderson fan community has ans shares and the debates and in depth discussions. Ive recenlty been following the tor.com re reads of both way of kings and words of radiance.and Love the in depth chapter and character discussions and the comments section on there. Im also a George R R Martin a song of ice and fire fan and have listened to various podcasts and youtube videos. One thing has struck me recently, although they are complex and have thousands of characters and plots and sub plots there is only five books so far in ASOIAF, yet the youtube community and pod-casters have hours of chapter, character, plot , theory discussions ect and most my favourite vids/casts have multiple people debating. 

i was thinking with the cosmere as a whole and the books characters, magic systems, theories about the nature of the cosmere as a whole, the cognitive, spiritual and physical realms and plots. i would love to see this fan community spread into other media and see similar theory casts, plot casts , group re reads of chapters on youtube and podcast form. there is definitely hours to talk and expand on and as sanderson releases more books/novellas every year i would love to see the same spread of cosmere love through other media. 

i do love this forum though

Someday when we get our crap together, we'll have more Shardcast, as opposed to the Splintercast Reads series. Maybe I should listen to those podcasts to see how they are laid out. But, we aren't the community, of course.

I am sure these will exist. I can say that with certainty with Shardcast, and as Stormlight, Mistborn, and the rest of the cosmere continues to expand and get more popular, I'm sure these will happen.

Hmmm... it's an interesting point. I think that there is a much greater ease of access to the Shard than whatever GRRM's fansite is (last time I visited there, I don't think he had a link to a particular fansite, but I could be wrong). So people automatically come here to the concentrated burst of cosmere enthusiasm, while the GRRM fans have a more diverse (yet less concentrated) fandom found throughout the internet.

I also might be overanalyzing this slightly.

EDIT: I looked again. It's not that GRRM doesn't have a fansite on his website - it's that he has about 30 and doesn't make any one his 'official' fansite. Which could have the same effect.

Also consider that the Song of Ice and Fire fandom ballooned when HBO created the TV series.  It hit the mainstream consciousness like a wrecking ball.

We Sanderfans are fewer in number because Sanderson hasn't had the same sort of media exposure as authors like Martin and Rowling.  That leaves fewer resources available for crazy fan video projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Also consider that the Song of Ice and Fire fandom ballooned when HBO created the TV series.  It hit the mainstream consciousness like a wrecking ball.

We Sanderfans are fewer in number because Sanderson hasn't had the same sort of media exposure as authors like Martin and Rowling.  That leaves fewer resources available for crazy fan video projects.

Truth.

Also need to realize that Cosmere stuff is only a baby atm give it another few yrs and bks when the more casual fans realize what's going on and it ll start to show up in droves in that area of media. We are kinda spoiled here and know about this stuff. I guarantee 75% of casual readers don't even realize the name Hoid keeps popping up esp if they aren't read but 1 bk of his every 1-2 yrs.

• Chaos locked this topic