Sazed's Waste of Steel

Charlie.x.3000

Well you have to realize that he was more the bookish type, as a Keeper. He wouldn't test the combat applications of feruchemy, because up until the books he's had no need to. It's mostly been circumstances thrusting combat upon him.

Him not being a warrior is in the Hero of Ages prophecies actually, IIRC. So it's actually important that he didn't understand these things.

Horses are actually quite fragile, considering how strong they are.  They're living, breathing creatures with limited stamina reserves.  You run one that hard for that long, there's a 100% chance that horse is going to be dead or broken at the end, assuming it even makes the entire trip without collapsing.  You don't want to be riding a horse when it collapses from exhaustion; it's a bad plan.

For that matter, Sazed almost certainly made the trip faster than a horse could have.

Also consider: to use speed in a combat situation safely would require a great deal of practice and fighting skill.  Granted, Saze could strengthen himself with stored pewter as well, which makes him a more dangerous opponent than a straight Steelrunner, but he would have to have sufficient reserves of both attributes in order to be combat-effective, and even then the amount of strength he'd have to tap would increase his muscle size as to reduce his dexterity considerably.

Shadows of Self spoilers:

I still maintain that Bleeder got away with as many steel shenanigans as she did because she's a kandra, and thus much more resilient than a human.  Combat maneuvers she could pull off would leave a normal human with crippling injuries.

Shadows of Self spoilers:

I still maintain that Bleeder got away with as many steel shenanigans as she did because she's a kandra, and thus much more resilient than a human.  Combat maneuvers she could pull off would leave a normal human with crippling injuries.

Bands Of Mourning spoilers:

Except that Marasi pulled off steel shenanigans as egregious or more so than Bleeder did, and there was no mention of injuries sustained by moving fast enough to leave behind pockets of vacuum.

Agreed, don't forget the Bands have gold in em.

And pewter (Feruchemical pewter also stores strength/physical resilience, IIRC).

No mention of tapping (or compounding) gold, no mention of tapping (or burning/compounding) pewter.  Marasi taps speed to get her metals from the mooks, and uses Steelpushes to take them out.  Admittedly, those things might have bogged down the climactic nature of Marasi using the Bands, but not breaking your arm against a stiff breeze might be a required secondary power.  

No mention of tapping (or compounding) gold, no mention of tapping (or burning/compounding) pewter.  Marasi taps speed to get her metals from the mooks, and uses Steelpushes to take them out.  Admittedly, those things might have bogged down the climactic nature of Marasi using the Bands, but not breaking your arm against a stiff breeze might be a required secondary power.  

More BoM spoilers (sorry for those who'll see the entire thread as made of spoilers)

the book says that marasi grabbed the bands "and she tapped everything"

. but just in case, someone must ask if not breaking your arms/burning up for friction as a result of steelrunning is a required secondary power or if it is just caused by the specific characters we've seen doing that having ways to cope with it.

More BoM spoilers (sorry for those who'll see the entire thread as made of spoilers)

the book says that marasi grabbed the bands "and she tapped everything"

. but just in case, someone must ask if not breaking your arms/burning up for friction as a result of steelrunning is a required secondary power or if it is just caused by the specific characters we've seen doing that having ways to cope with it.

Force  = mass x acceleration. Steel is not that useful for an unarmed Sazed in a fistfight, more then either strength or iron for that matter. Also, superfast mortal fist = broken bones, something that Sazed bashing people with books using pewter doesn't worry about. I'd rather pewter in a fight over steel, actually.

Right; I just checked the book, she did indeed tap everything.  And she had just grabbed all of the metal vials in reach and downed them, so she had quite a bit of Allomancy active as well as Feruchemy.  If some of those mooks weren't carrying pewter shavings, I'd be very surprised.

Force  = mass x acceleration. Steel is not that useful for an unarmed Sazed in a fistfight, more then either strength or iron for that matter. Also, superfast mortal fist = broken bones, something that Sazed bashing people with books using pewter doesn't worry about. I'd rather pewter in a fight over steel, actually.

Right. 

And note that Marasi wasn't using her speed to actually hit people.  She wound up pounding on them quite effectively with Allomantic steel and iron.  There's a huge leap from moving quickly through air resistance to punching someone in the face with Feruchemical speed.  The latter is just as likely to shatter your own hand.

Edited by Kaymyth

Okay guys... but you do realize Mr. Sanderson changed a lot of things in later books. In the Well of Ascension (That's the middle book I hope) , when Sazed taps a bunch of iron at the end of the book to hold the Gate shut against the Koloss, it says that he needed pewter or else he would have broken bones for tapping so much weight. This obviously wasn't an issue in later books.

Edited by Charlie.x.3000

Okay guys... but you do realize Mr. Sanderson changed a lot of things in later books. In the Well of Ascension (That's the middle book I hope) , when Sazed taps a bunch of iron at the end of the book to hold the Gate shut against the Koloss, it says that he needed pewter or else he would have broken bones for tapping so much weight. This obviously wasn't an issue in later books.

it's possible that Sazed was wrong, He probably didn't use often his own abilities and quite never to fight context...

Sazed isn't any kind of warrior, for the whole trilogy we never saw a Feruchemist Warrior (and to be honest with the bloodline mixing we never see it neither in the future).

I am with the one who think that F-Speed (alone) is more limitated than many though (starting with the difficoult to store it)

I'd rather pewter in a fight over steel, actually.

I disagree with that. sure, if i punch you with full steel speed i shatter my hand, but i can just use my superior speed to dodge your attacks and punch you softly with steel speed - which equates to a good punch at normal speed. Or, better, i could use my speed to stick a finger in your eyes. The advantage of speed is not about hitting stronger, it is about hitting without being hit.

• Chaos locked this topic