17 hours ago, Chandrian said:

Disclaimer: I'm only posting here because it's basically the most viewed Role playing message board.

I want to get a gauge on how popular a free form role play in a completely original, global-scale environment would be. I have the base concept of a setting fleshed out, but am in need of aid creating a plot and refining systems of magic, assuming anyone takes intrest. Culture, lore, flora, fauna, and such could be constantly added by players to a (potential) grand atlas. Even of you aren't interested in creating things, let me know if playing in that environment sounds interesting. 

Unfortunately, I do not believe 17th Shard to be the best place to run a completely original free form. With not only the low volume of traffic this forum has, but also the fact that not everyone is interested in free forming, it's hard for most RPs to gain traction without dying before page 10.

If you're wanting to partake in a grand worldbuilding project, I know there was one on one of the subforums somewhere. It was quite popular a while back, though I didn't partake, meaning I don't know if it's still active. Perhaps someone else could provide you info regarding this.

11 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

@Aonar Faileas So little question, how does Eternity leaving a vacuum behind work? I mean if he creates a vacuum that would mean the air wouldn't move on virtue of being frozen in time, except if it doesn't move, nothing else could move either, because the air would just form an unmoving shell around them.

Aonar explained it to me as all entities and objects taken out of normal time (so Eternity and any object or person he takes with him) are semi-incorporeal. So basically he turned the earpieces incorporeal, whilethe air around them remained frozen solid.

Also I don't know if anyone replied to you Edge, but I think you continuing the Lucentia/Timeport fight as you wish should be fine.

7 hours ago, Blackhoof said:

Aonar explained it to me as all entities and objects taken out of normal time (so Eternity and any object or person he takes with him) are semi-incorporeal. So basically he turned the earpieces incorporeal, whilethe air around them remained frozen solid.

Also I don't know if anyone replied to you Edge, but I think you continuing the Lucentia/Timeport fight as you wish should be fine.

How does he walk during frozen time then? If he's incorporeal he'd sink through the floor.

50 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

I'm guessing he has some measure of control over that.

The question is how though, either he doesn't become incorporeal when he walks which would create other problems including but not limited to destroying the entire state every time he does so because he just accelerated something with infinite force, or the ground also becomes incorporeal in which case he'd be bringing the entire earth outside of time which seems a bit OP and would also generate a whole bunch of other problems.

3 hours ago, Voidus said:

How does he walk during frozen time then? If he's incorporeal he'd sink through the floor.

Doesn't David say that all incorporeal a can 'fly'.  It makes sense that gravity would not impact you if you have no solid form (at least to my uneducated mind), but I guess the extent to which an incorporeal can control their movement may be up for debate.   I know I tweaked Insight's power profile after rereading some Nightwielder scenes and I thought the flight thing was one of those.  

Just now, Comatose said:

Doesn't David say that all incorporeal a can 'fly'.  It makes sense that gravity would not impact you if you have no solid form (at least to my uneducated mind), but I guess the extent to which an incorporeal can control their movement may be up for debate.   I know I tweaked Insight's power profile after rereading some Nightwielder scenes and I thought the flight thing was one of those.  

It is but this isn't exactly direct incorporeality, I would assume that to be the case if the writing hadn't specifically said that Eternity walked rather than glided or flew. Probably the easiest solution to the problem though.

11 hours ago, Blackhoof said:

Yeah, that's kind of an explanation that beckons more questions, first of all what does semi-incorporeal even mean.

Alright,  thanks. 

35 minutes ago, Voidus said:

It is but this isn't exactly direct incorporeality, I would assume that to be the case if the writing hadn't specifically said that Eternity walked rather than glided or flew. Probably the easiest solution to the problem though.

Actually, I'd argue that the easiest solution ks saying he takes the air around him with him and scratch the whole incorporility but that's hard to judge without the full explanation.

53 minutes ago, Voidus said:

The question is how though, either he doesn't become incorporeal when he walks which would create other problems including but not limited to destroying the entire state every time he does so because he just accelerated something with infinite force, or the ground also becomes incorporeal in which case he'd be bringing the entire earth outside of time which seems a bit OP and would also generate a whole bunch of other problems.

Semi-incorporeality wasn't my explanation, it was Blackhoof's summary of it. :P

Basically, it's just a means of handwaving Eternity being able to move outside time without bringing everything with him. He's not incorporeal, he just can't interact with things that aren't outside time. However, things don't like sharing the same physical location with other things, (even though it could be debated that they aren't, but let's not get into that. :P) so they put up a certain amount of resistance to being moved through, dependant on their density. (Creating a famisile of the normal force, letting Eternity move basically normally.) He can overcome that resistance, but he needs a certain amount of leverage to do so, both physical and mental, if that makes sense. Air is easy enough, but you won't see him walking through walls often, because it's hard to pull off, and draining if he does manage it. (So I say as the very next scene involves him doing this, but trust me, it's not a trick I'll be pulling out all the time. :P) 

4 hours ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Semi-incorporeality wasn't my explanation, it was Blackhoof's summary of it. :P

Basically, it's just a means of handwaving Eternity being able to move outside time without bringing everything with him. He's not incorporeal, he just can't interact with things that aren't outside time. However, things don't like sharing the same physical location with other things, (even though it could be debated that they aren't, but let's not get into that. :P) so they put up a certain amount of resistance to being moved through, dependant on their density. (Creating a famisile of the normal force, letting Eternity move basically normally.) He can overcome that resistance, but he needs a certain amount of leverage to do so, both physical and mental, if that makes sense. Air is easy enough, but you won't see him walking through walls often, because it's hard to pull off, and draining if he does manage it. (So I say as the very next scene involves him doing this, but trust me, it's not a trick I'll be pulling out all the time. :P) 

I repeat what I said before, wouldn't it be much simpler to just have him bring the air around him with him?

Edit: @Aonar Faileas (I wonder if people get a notification if this is put in per edit, time to test it out) Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to the idea/power in itself. I'm more wondering if you're just using a somewhat complicated means to get around some of the logic problems with stopping time or if you're just being a bit roundabout about adding the power to his portfolio.

Edited by Edgedancer

6 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

I repeat what I said before, wouldn't it be much simpler to just have him bring the air around him with him?

Simpler maybe, but I'm not sure better. One of the limiters I put on his powers was complexity. Something amorphous and chaotic (like a gas) should be a pain. A really large volume of air, or constantly placing columns of air in and out of time, should be either really wearing, or downright impossible with how I've laid out his powers.

More like than not, I'm just over complicating things. :P He could achieve the same effects through other means, if you'd prefer I change it, so it doesn't make that much of a difference to me, beyond how I visualize his powers working.

And no, you don't get notifications if the tag is included after the initial post. :P

Edited by Aonar Faileas

18 minutes ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Simpler maybe, but I'm not sure better. One of the limiters I put on his powers was complexity. Something amorphous and chaotic (like a gas) should be a pain. A really large volume of air, or constantly placing columns of air in and out of time, should be either really wearing, or downright impossible with how I've laid out his powers.

More like than not, I'm just over complicating things. :P He could achieve the same effects through other means, if you'd prefer I change it, so it doesn't make that much of a difference to me, beyond how I visualize his powers working.

And no, you don't get notifications if the tag is included after the initial post. :P

Kind of seems like a catch22 to me. Sure constantly bringing air out of time should be taxing (although, it depends if his power is working on an atomic scale or just by an overall structure, which could be argued to be relatively simple for just "air") but if he's walking for prolonged amount of "time", especially "hours" then even something putting up little resistance like air should start showing a strain on him. So it doesn't exactly solve the problem entirely. Then again both of those can be negated somewhat by him just being able to take an infinite break, so I guess I'll leave that to your judgment.

Then there's the question of what happens with the air in the sapce the headsead is now encompassing after it moved again. Sure he can overcome the resistance while out of time but once time moves again they are in the same space. So what happened to the air?

Pitty, that would have been useful.

20 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

Now that I'm writing for Chimera as well as Adelmo, @Kobold King has to put up with me bugging him on not one, but two fronts. :P 

Here's a gif of us:

Hide contents

ccGtHhl.gif

:lol: Reminds me of the morning when Bruce did his usual "rise and shine, Twi" routine, and I was feeling tired so I draped my arm over my face…and he just put his head underneath my arm and licked my face. 

4 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

But Voidus, the insanity is never there where you think it is but it also never leaves.:ph34r:

The insanity is always there when I check, but that's probably because I bring the insanity with me :P

9 minutes ago, Voidus said:

The insanity is always there when I check, but that's probably because I bring the insanity with me :P

All thanks to these Dark Alley trademark insanity spikes, you too can spread insanity for only 99.99.*

The moment when you wonder if your pun was obvious enough.:ph34r:

*percent of your soul.

Just now, Edgedancer said:

All thanks to these Dark Alley trademark insanity spikes, you too can spread insanity for only 99.99.*

The moment when you wonder if your pun was obvious enough.:ph34r:

*percent of your soul.

Admittedly I am on my meds again but no it wasn't obvious enough for me :P

On a different note, is there anyone in Salem who'd object to skipping to the next game day? Any leftovers can be dealt with in flashback if needed but I'd like to move plots forward and get the Arena started again.

Just now, Voidus said:

Admittedly I am on my meds again but no it wasn't obvious enough for me :P

On a different note, is there anyone in Salem who'd object to skipping to the next game day? Any leftovers can be dealt with in flashback if needed but I'd like to move plots forward and get the Arena started again.

Okay, one more attempt without just explaining it.

4 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

But Voidus, the insanity is never there where you think it is but it also never leaves.:ph34r:

but you're right in that you brought said insanity to Portland.:ph34r: