2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I would say yes. PI doesn't have to mean immune to all harm; and besides, it's a lot easier to shoot at a paranoid Epic than it would be to try and poison them. 

fair enough. thats just been bugging me a while.

10 hours ago, Puncake said:

Yes, a few hundred can. In fact, 20v can kill you - if the current is strong enough. That's why we see people getting killed by police tasers. 

Not exaggerating. His max output is indeed a billion volts, but that would tire him out. 

Salem? 

It's worth noting that while you are correct it's the current that kills not the voltage, the two are related. Current is proportional to voltage so higher voltage = higher current too. And assuming there was nothing particularly noteworthy about the person being zapped a billion volts would do quite a bit more than just kill you. At the very least you'd turn rather crispy. :P

Others have already covered most of the information on Salem, it features a rather powerful policing force and most Epics are kept pretty firmly in line, every day fights are carried out on the Astral Plane, where Soulcaster (The leader of Salem) can arrange the entire plane to suit the combatants or even change the powers of the Epics fighting (Though that's not often done for Epic vs. Epic fights). Other than that we've been working on trying to introduce some other plots to the city lately but I haven't checked through the thread in a while so not sure whether that progressed at all.

Arclight is most welcome, though at the moment Salem is somewhat stuck in limbo while we wait for a few scenes to resolve themselves and end the day.

So I'm trying to revitalize Salem again, some of that may be resolved by some characters being adopted since I think a few scenes were waiting on characters whose writers are not regular contributors anymore, but I also remembered an idea someone had a while ago to turn a part of the city into a weird nightmarish realm, somewhat reminiscent of the Halloween RP we did ages ago. That person hasn't been on the site in a few months but the plot could still work pretty easily and I even had an Epic in mind for it (Because of course I did). Problem is that this is one of my slightly more obscure Epic ideas so it may cause some problems and would definitely need approval first.

Spell-binder
Primary power: Spelling alteration - can trasmute or alter any non-living object to varying degrees by altering the spelling of it. Can either add, remove or change a single letter to the spelling of an object.
(Example: Could change air into fir and create a tree where there was previously just air, could change heat into heal to cause a flame to turn into healing energy, could turn cups into cup and remove all but one from a group) Can only change the spelling into a word that already exists and is well known.
Secondary power: Information Overlay, can see the true properties of all objects in his surroundings, appears similar to a user interface like in games, details the name of objects/people and some of their properties. (eg. Book: lukewarm, contains pages, white, combustible)

14 minutes ago, Voidus said:

So I'm trying to revitalize Salem again, some of that may be resolved by some characters being adopted since I think a few scenes were waiting on characters whose writers are not regular contributors anymore, but I also remembered an idea someone had a while ago to turn a part of the city into a weird nightmarish realm, somewhat reminiscent of the Halloween RP we did ages ago. That person hasn't been on the site in a few months but the plot could still work pretty easily and I even had an Epic in mind for it (Because of course I did). Problem is that this is one of my slightly more obscure Epic ideas so it may cause some problems and would definitely need approval first.

Spell-binder
Primary power: Spelling alteration - can trasmute or alter any non-living object to varying degrees by altering the spelling of it. Can either add, remove or change a single letter to the spelling of an object.
(Example: Could change air into fir and create a tree where there was previously just air, could change heat into heal to cause a flame to turn into healing energy, could turn cups into cup and remove all but one from a group) Can only change the spelling into a word that already exists and is well known.
Secondary power: Information Overlay, can see the true properties of all objects in his surroundings, appears similar to a user interface like in games, details the name of objects/people and some of their properties. (eg. Book: lukewarm, contains pages, white, combustible)

It's... interesting, but it needs to be fleshed out a little more.

Can he transmute an object more than once? For example, can he take a word, turn it into a sword, and then turn it into, a sworn oath or something like that?

Second, what about size? Can he transmute an ordinary mouse into a full sized house?

Third, about his information overlay: If he could transmute air into fir, would the word "air" be everywhere (figuratively) or the word "space"?

45 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

It's... interesting, but it needs to be fleshed out a little more.

Can he transmute an object more than once? For example, can he take a word, turn it into a sword, and then turn it into, a sworn oath or something like that?

Second, what about size? Can he transmute an ordinary mouse into a full sized house?

Third, about his information overlay: If he could transmute air into fir, would the word "air" be everywhere (figuratively) or the word "space"?

Short answers: Yes he can use it more than once, yes he can alter mass though he is limited in the size he can turn things into or from, any time he focussed on air it would come up with air along with a few other properties of the air in that immediate area.

Long answer: His full power profile and the sections for the generic version of each of his abilities:

Spoiler

Spell-binderbio
Powers: Spelling alteration (Tier 4)1, Objective knowledge (Tier 2-3)1

Limitations: Spelling alteration needs to be size limited per section on ability for tier 4 users, Spell-Binder should fall into this range and perhaps slightly below in order to become a potential playable character. Limit ability to non-living matter for transmutations at the least, leaving possible the ability to change attributes of living things but not the living thing itself. Cannot change words into non-tangible words, word should have an obvious and immediately actionable effect. (eg. Cannot change Tim into Time as time is an intangible concept with no obvious outcome), Epic should be unable to control the outcome of changing the word in any way, objects/actions should become the ideal version of that word rather than require additional interpretation.
Power potentiation: Powers largely combine to allow for more easy use of primary power, other than providing keywords to change powers have limited crossover. No immediately obvious cross-power gains. Primary power shows good compounding effects with itself however, the ability to change one object into another and then change it again into a third object that could not be changed without the intermediate step (eg. Air > Fir > Fur)
Plans: Potential Wastelands Epic, non High Epic so shouldn’t inflate a cities count, would displace the role of other quartermaster Epics if trying to fit into most other cities. Perhaps use in non-Reckoners story? Good ability for runic novel or other unique ability users novel.
Potential issues: Somewhat esoteric as powers go, also rather general and could be used to cause disproportionate effects by a skilled user, ability needs to be restricted to non-living things to avoid gaining an insta-kill power in addition to large scale object manipulation. Range of words with no tangible effect but still valid as words.

Spelling alteration:

Power can be used to alter the spelling of an object, may be able to alter specific words in specific ways or alter words generally within confined rules. Subset of generic transmutation and property manipulation.
Tier 1: Can alter words in very limited ways (eg. Can only substitute one letter for a predetermined letter) , generally only usable on items of small size/energy (Football sized objects, energy up to a candle flame)
Tier 2: Can alter words more generally, may be able to add or subtract any letter but not alter existing letters. Usable on items of normal size and energy, up to the size of a person, energy up to a fireplace.
Tier 3: Can alter words by a single letter in any way, adding subtracting or substituting. Usable on items of size up to a small house, energy up to a bonfire.
Tier 4: Can alter words by a letter in any way, may also switch letters around in the word. Usable on items of size up to a city block, energy up to a building fire..
Tier 5: Can alter words almost limitlessly, turning any word into any other, usable on items the size of a small city, energy up to a forest fire.

Tricks: Fairly straightforward ability with no obvious tricks unlocking at higher tiers, possibility of using intermediary words to achieve desired end result (eg. Map>maps>mars>bars>bar>tar)

Objective knowledge:

The ability to obtain knowledge that is objective in nature, not perceived through a subjective sense of any kind and not capable of being deceived, tricked or fooled. Has many child-powers such as precognition1, telepathy1 and many sensory abilities.
Tier 1: The ability to discern whether or not something you perceive with a subjective sense is real or not. (See through illusions) when in close proximity.
Tier 2: The ability to discern information beyond what you would otherwise be able to tell (eg. Relays some properties of an object you perceive such as the heat of a fire) when in close proximity, discern reality within eyesight.
Tier 3: The ability to discern somewhat detailed information of objects in line of sight, see through all illusions.
Tier 4: Temporal objective knowledge, know not only what an object is but what it has been and will be.
Tier 5: Borderline Omniscience, be able to discern the true nature of all things, intuitive understanding of people and what motivates them, precognition1 and retrocognition1.

Tricks: Varies greatly on the specific application of ability or child ability, list on a per-Epic basis.

8 hours ago, Voidus said:

Short answers: Yes he can use it more than once, yes he can alter mass though he is limited in the size he can turn things into or from, any time he focussed on air it would come up with air along with a few other properties of the air in that immediate area.

Long answer: His full power profile and the sections for the generic version of each of his abilities:

Reveal hidden contents

Spell-binderbio
Powers: Spelling alteration (Tier 4)1, Objective knowledge (Tier 2-3)1

Limitations: Spelling alteration needs to be size limited per section on ability for tier 4 users, Spell-Binder should fall into this range and perhaps slightly below in order to become a potential playable character. Limit ability to non-living matter for transmutations at the least, leaving possible the ability to change attributes of living things but not the living thing itself. Cannot change words into non-tangible words, word should have an obvious and immediately actionable effect. (eg. Cannot change Tim into Time as time is an intangible concept with no obvious outcome), Epic should be unable to control the outcome of changing the word in any way, objects/actions should become the ideal version of that word rather than require additional interpretation.
Power potentiation: Powers largely combine to allow for more easy use of primary power, other than providing keywords to change powers have limited crossover. No immediately obvious cross-power gains. Primary power shows good compounding effects with itself however, the ability to change one object into another and then change it again into a third object that could not be changed without the intermediate step (eg. Air > Fir > Fur)
Plans: Potential Wastelands Epic, non High Epic so shouldn’t inflate a cities count, would displace the role of other quartermaster Epics if trying to fit into most other cities. Perhaps use in non-Reckoners story? Good ability for runic novel or other unique ability users novel.
Potential issues: Somewhat esoteric as powers go, also rather general and could be used to cause disproportionate effects by a skilled user, ability needs to be restricted to non-living things to avoid gaining an insta-kill power in addition to large scale object manipulation. Range of words with no tangible effect but still valid as words.

Spelling alteration:

Power can be used to alter the spelling of an object, may be able to alter specific words in specific ways or alter words generally within confined rules. Subset of generic transmutation and property manipulation.
Tier 1: Can alter words in very limited ways (eg. Can only substitute one letter for a predetermined letter) , generally only usable on items of small size/energy (Football sized objects, energy up to a candle flame)
Tier 2: Can alter words more generally, may be able to add or subtract any letter but not alter existing letters. Usable on items of normal size and energy, up to the size of a person, energy up to a fireplace.
Tier 3: Can alter words by a single letter in any way, adding subtracting or substituting. Usable on items of size up to a small house, energy up to a bonfire.
Tier 4: Can alter words by a letter in any way, may also switch letters around in the word. Usable on items of size up to a city block, energy up to a building fire..
Tier 5: Can alter words almost limitlessly, turning any word into any other, usable on items the size of a small city, energy up to a forest fire.

Tricks: Fairly straightforward ability with no obvious tricks unlocking at higher tiers, possibility of using intermediary words to achieve desired end result (eg. Map>maps>mars>bars>bar>tar)

Objective knowledge:

The ability to obtain knowledge that is objective in nature, not perceived through a subjective sense of any kind and not capable of being deceived, tricked or fooled. Has many child-powers such as precognition1, telepathy1 and many sensory abilities.
Tier 1: The ability to discern whether or not something you perceive with a subjective sense is real or not. (See through illusions) when in close proximity.
Tier 2: The ability to discern information beyond what you would otherwise be able to tell (eg. Relays some properties of an object you perceive such as the heat of a fire) when in close proximity, discern reality within eyesight.
Tier 3: The ability to discern somewhat detailed information of objects in line of sight, see through all illusions.
Tier 4: Temporal objective knowledge, know not only what an object is but what it has been and will be.
Tier 5: Borderline Omniscience, be able to discern the true nature of all things, intuitive understanding of people and what motivates them, precognition1 and retrocognition1.

Tricks: Varies greatly on the specific application of ability or child ability, list on a per-Epic basis.

This seems to create more questions.

Let's say he finds a patch of sod. Can he turn it into God or mod? I find that a bit OP.

If he finds a mitten and turns it into a kitten, does he control the kitten, or is it just an ordinary kitten? What would the size of the kitten be?

You also said he can switch around letters. Does that mean he can shift around letters like an anagram and turn a Boeing into a big one, whatever that is?

This Epic seems very interesting and fun to play, with a lot of imagination, but we need more clearly defined boundaries.

As long as he only turns objects into other objects in the physical realm, i see no issue.

Although personally i think the objects should revert back to normal after a few hours, as in Calamity it was made clear that most creation Epics can only create temporary objects .

5 hours ago, breakingamber said:

This seems to create more questions.

Let's say he finds a patch of sod. Can he turn it into God or mod? I find that a bit OP.

If he finds a mitten and turns it into a kitten, does he control the kitten, or is it just an ordinary kitten? What would the size of the kitten be?

You also said he can switch around letters. Does that mean he can shift around letters like an anagram and turn a Boeing into a big one, whatever that is?

This Epic seems very interesting and fun to play, with a lot of imagination, but we need more clearly defined boundaries.

That would go against both the non-obvious resolution rule (What exactly would a mod be?) and the size/energy restriction.

Nope, he provides no additional information or control, the object is changed based on a kind of idealized form of the word he is changing it into with some elements of randomness.

Switching letters is part of the generic profile as a possible ability at that level, this Epic can't do that, sorry for the confusion there.

2 hours ago, Blackhoof said:

As long as he only turns objects into other objects in the physical realm, i see no issue.

Although personally i think the objects should revert back to normal after a few hours, as in Calamity it was made clear that most creation Epics can only create temporary objects .

This is more transmutation than creation

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

@Kobold King, I learned something. Namely, that the US Park Rangers use "Code W" to refer to a wimpy hiker who asks for emergency medical attention but doesn't need it. 

I can think of one retrocog who fits the criteria. :ph34r:

"My arm! My poor arm! It's going to rot off of me! Pleaaaaaase heeeeeelp meeee..."

-Backtrack, upon encountering poison oak.

Will try to get something written soon, guys. I think Deathwish is up next in The Dalles? And Vondra too? I've let myself get confused again...

15 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

"My arm! My poor arm! It's going to rot off of me! Pleaaaaaase heeeeeelp meeee..."

-Backtrack, upon encountering poison oak.

Will try to get something written soon, guys. I think Deathwish is up next in The Dalles? And Vondra too? I've let myself get confused again...

Confirmation that Backtracks official codename in the Dalles is Code W?

On 8/23/2016 at 5:34 AM, Voidus said:

As am I, and thanks again for gathering the soul of Cthulu so we could do so. Don't know that I would have been able to gather that while also juggling parenthood. ;)

No problem, harvesting the souls of the Archaic crepuscular Archdeities is quite time consuming and I had some experiments I wanted to perform on one anyways.

As for the Dalles, it would be one of the group either reacting to the fact that Taylor is an epic or initiating the fight with Quicksilver.

Hey, random thing wanted to pitch to you guys.

So.. Lyla started as a joke. Me writing about Lyla Heartstrings, hahaha, pony. Which is why Lyla is a fangirl, the same way Lyra is for humans. The hoodie is actually a shoutout to that, the same way the photography is to the idea of "evil Jimmy Olson"...

But. I was reading, and...well. Idea occurred to me.

What if there is a dash of Harley Quinn?

After all, both characters are, essentially, fan girls for very bad people. The difference would be that Harley has outgrown and rejected her idol (Joker) while Lyla never got a chance to with hers (Koschei) so now she clings to anyone that's in that same epic mould as him...

I dunno. Random thoughts, I guess.

Edited by Quiver

@Quiver Almost everything starts as a joke and just as much ends up being much more disturbing than you might have thought.:mellow:
Now, the comparison is certainly apt, especially if she does get a new Epic to attach herself to. Really the question is how much you want to integrate this into her character arc or you know, just let her develop as things progress.
This also made me wonder just what an Epic would have to do to make her act like a proper cheerleader.:mellow:

26 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

New around here. You ask here about joining a topic with your epic?

Yup you're in exactly the right place. Tell us your idea for an Epic and we'll give you feedback. Also, are you already familar with any of the topics?

13 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Yup you're in exactly the right place. Tell us your idea for an Epic and we'll give you feedback. Also, are you already familar with any of the topics?

I read over the start of the stickies, mainly the rule one. I started looking at the flow of some of the actual story threads. 

I have a preliminary idea for an Epic, though I'm still fleshing it out. Mainly balancing how it works with making sure it isn't too overpowered.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

19 hours ago, Quiver said:

Hey, random thing wanted to pitch to you guys.

So.. Lyla started as a joke. Me writing about Lyla Heartstrings, hahaha, pony. Which is why Lyla is a fangirl, the same way Lyra is for humans. The hoodie is actually a shoutout to that, the same way the photography is to the idea of "evil Jimmy Olson"...

But. I was reading, and...well. Idea occurred to me.

What if there is a dash of Harley Quinn?

After all, both characters are, essentially, fan girls for very bad people. The difference would be that Harley has outgrown and rejected her idol (Joker) while Lyla never got a chance to with hers (Koschei) so now she clings to anyone that's in that same epic mould as him...

I dunno. Random thoughts, I guess.

This makes me think of the Autumn Glass Fan Club meme, and the Winter Glass meme. Could a non-Epic become an Epic even in a "no new Epics" tolerated area? It would make the Dalles much more interesting, with Vondra probably not knowing her weakness. If she had ice and snow powers... Oh my god that would be awesome. Elsa would have severe competition.

9 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

This makes me think of the Autumn Glass Fan Club meme, and the Winter Glass meme. Could a non-Epic become an Epic even in a "no new Epics" tolerated area? It would make the Dalles much more interesting, with Vondra probably not knowing her weakness. If she had ice and snow powers... Oh my god that would be awesome. Elsa would have severe competition.

It could be interesting, but "no new Epics" means "no new Epics." :) Furthermore, I like Lyla as a non-Epic. It adds an interesting layer to the story. 

14 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

I still can't tell if the character is supposed to be delusional or actually from Frozen. Judging by how her creator's second character is supposed to be from another planet, I'm kind of worried that it's the latter. :unsure:

Seeing how anyone else will just ignore it, it's kind of delusional by default.

14 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

I still can't tell if the character is supposed to be delusional or actually from Frozen. Judging by how her creator's second character is supposed to be from another planet, I'm kind of worried that it's the latter. :unsure:

I think the explanation Elsa gave (or my head canon version of her explanation) is that Elsa was originally an Epic with Ice powers who was brainwashed by an Epic with Disney-fication (for lack of a better word) powers for the purpose of recreating Frozen.  Then stuff happened and she escaped but now has reality issues?  What do others recall?