9 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Want me to wait until after the confrontation to do Quota's post? 

I'm fine either way. Backtrack at regular terror mode or Backtrack at HOLY SPARKS I AM SERIOUSLY GONNA DIE BECAUSE I AM A MISERABLE FAILURE AND THE WHOLE WORLD HATES ME OH CALAMITY WHY WHY WHY AKDLFJ WERLKERLAFD mode should be equally fun to write. :P

So, I was thinking about Night's Sorrow (again), and a new brain bubble occurred to me.  This is just an idea I thought might be fun, so I won't at all be offended if it gets shot down with prejudice.  

What if Night's Sorrow is more than one epic?  I know (and love) that there's already plans for Bloody Mary to assume the mantle of Night's Sorrow at one point down the road (or possible plans, I wasn't sure how certain those were), and this idea would work in addition to the plot line, not instead of it.  The gist is this: what if part of the reason that Night's Sorrow is so mysterious is because no one really knows what her powers are, because she (or he) is really more than one epic, using their powers in concert while pretending to be one epic.  This could work a couple of ways, either by: (a) choosing a figure head to act as the avatar of Night's Sorrow, while others with distance-based powers use their abilities and make it seem like it is Night's Sorrow using them, (b) using some sort of common costume scheme (if they are similar enough physically) and each taking turns being Night's Sorrow (for the bronies and pegasisters on the forums, think Mare-Do-Well), or (c) through the creative application of an epic power (perhaps illusions or shape-shifting).  If you guys like this idea, and have other ways to put it into action, feel free to comment.  

As I was contemplating option (c), I started thinking about a new meta power.  I'm not sure if I'd want to play an epic with this power, or if adding it to the RP would even be a good idea generally, but my head started working it out and balancing it, so I figured I would share it here.  I know we are trying to limit epics who don't serve a purpose, and that we should probably keep meta powers to a minimum as well, so I totally understand if people don't go for this.  Anyways, here we go:

The power I have in mind allows the user to 'link' two or more epics or humans together.  When linked, the individuals share some sort of limited collective consciousness, and share skills, abilities, and (in the case of epics) powers.  The epic using the power would not be able to link him or her self, and would thus only be a catalyst for creating groups of super epics.  While linked, epics would have access to the full extent of each others powers, but other than what instincts could be sensed through the mental component of the link, they would not gain the same expertise as the original holder of the power had.  The link has to work both ways, so it can't make one epic more powerful at the expense of others.  If used on three epics, then you get three epics with access to all of the powers, and nothing in between.   This epic could also only create one link at once, so he or she would not be able to make several pairs of linked epics.  The link is also limited by consent - all epics must consent to the link at its creation, and if one of the linked epics decides to leave and take their powers back, the link is automatically destroyed.  

Calamity Spoilers

Spoiler

Another effect of the link is that it creates an effect similar to what is experienced by identical twins, or epics who have motivators made out of them.  The main difference is that the pain felt is intensified by the number of epics in the link.  Judging by Obliteration and Prof's reactions, the pain seems fairly intense, so I'm going to say that in the 5 - 10 range all but the most pain-tolerant epics would automatically drop out and terminate the link on instinct, and that no-one could stand a link above and beyond 10 (keep in mind that the consent of everyone is needed, so to even get up to ten epics in the link, you would need 10 epics with similarly impressive pain tolerances).  

For the non-Calamity readers still left in the group, basically this epic would generally be limited to linking five or less epics together, with a hard limit of ten in the case of epics with mutually high pain tolerances.  

Another effect of the link is that the people linked would feel each other's pain, and if one is killed, everyone who is linked dies.  The deadly part of this effect is negated, of course, if you add one epic with a PI to the mix, since then everyone in the link would share the PI.  Linked, epics would, of course, be incapable of killing each other without killing themselves, and would generally not want to do that (better to unlink, and then take their chances, lest the opponent dissolve the link first at an opportune moment).

A chain of physical touch would be necessary to create the link, but once the link is created it will be maintained as long as mutual consent lasts, regardless of range or distance.  Killing the epic who created the link (or activating his or her weakness) would also dissolve the link.  The epic who creates the link can terminate it at will as well.  

One of the reasons I like this power profile is that it creates an interesting character dilemma for epics.  As we have discussed with other meta-type characters, most epics would be extremely reluctant to surrender their powers to another, but what if you lost nothing by letting another epic use your power, and you could gain greater powers as well.  Epics could be forced into uneasy alliances in the the interests of maintaining their maximum power-sets, while also tolerating the pain.  Of course, the Lucentias of the world would not be linking with the Backtracks of the world, since the trade wouldn't really be worth it, but what could Mary accomplish if Corpsemaker, the Metal, Dr. Funtimes, or Rainmaker agreed to link with her?  You might also see epics with different powersets linking to cover up weaknesses, like an epic with great destructive powers, but no PI, linking with an Epic with a PI who can't do anything else.  It could also lead to some interesting power combinations (like if Backtrack linked with Reader? Or Edgerunner with Frostfire?  Or the Financier and Funtimes?).  These power combinations would, in turn, lead to interesting personalities colliding, as both epics would gain access to both powers.  It could also be used to interesting effects with Vanillas.  

So, for Night's Sorrow, my idea was that Mary (if Edge still likes that plan) could get together with this epic, and some others, and collectively become Night's Sorrow.   They could take turns appearing as Night Sorrow, or let part of her (if Mary is the base) mythos be a power that allows limited duplication/projection.  They could collectively destroy Oregon, and then slowly turn on one another.  We know that Night's Sorrow is still around during the time of the books, but only one of them would need to survive and to keep the mantle of Night's Sorrow in order for that to be true.  

For the 'link' epic, I think it would be fun to experiment with him or her linking different epics in the RP, and seeing different combinations, and then let her or him be discovered when it comes time for the rise of Night's Sorrow.

What do you guys think about either idea (A - Night's Sorrow as a group of epics, and/or B- Linker Epic).  Keep in mind they could exist without one another, or could both exist independently.  

I agree, which is why this would be end game type stuff.  

I would also note that the epics would be limited by their own fear and personalities.   The Astorian epics, for example, could work together long enough to do some serious damage, but how long before the pain starts to get to them and they start to wonder who will turn against them?

Then there's the link epic him or herself.  Who will his or her loyalty lie with, and how will their personality play into things?

I definitely see the potential for this to be game breaky, but if we are smart about how we plot things, I'm sure we could make it work.   

14 hours ago, RippleGylf said:

So... haven't been super active lately. I'm a bit unsure of where to go next with all of my characters (Lightwood in Astoria, Heartsleeve in Salem, and Candyflame in Portland). Any ideas?

As for Lightwood, we're still waiting on Honor Spren and Mistrunner, who at this point haven't reacted for multiple months, inculding pm messages, despite being reasonably active on the site, so seeing how their characters haven't actually entered the scene yet, I've been considering that we play events so that Lightwood just cuts of the Financier and the Metal before they meet up with the girls and if they ever want to they can just have their characters join in the scene again.

@Comatose  Personally, I think the linker Epic idea would be too much power concentrated into too many people for there to remain any tension. At that point any conflict would essentially be reduced to between the linked Epics, while others only have the option of giving up or being slaughtered. Multiple Epics working together might work though, especially seeing how Mary's power to create portals would lend itself to that kind of trickery.

9 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Funtimes/Quota post up. (And I just realized they'd be a horrible couple. Not that I was thinking they'd be a good one before, but I just realized how awful they'd be. :mellow: ) 

They're like polar opposites. Frankly, I couldn't even imagine them in prolonged exposure to each other without violence taking place.:mellow:

On 6/26/2016 at 8:54 PM, Cognizantastic said:

Do any of you know if Fatebreaker is planning on writing a Quicksilver response scene anytime soon?

Ah, sorry about that. I just got back from a adventure in Thailand, and I've had work since the day I've returned. I'll try to get something up soon.

Anything else I missed?

I'm new to the whole "role-play" thing. And after reading Twi's rules and etiquettes post I may need some clarification.

I would like to join the Salem and Astoria threads please.

Also, I write up my character/s and post them in the Epics of Oregon thread?

And then I just work a way to introduce my character into the story and.....role-play?

EDIT- Upon further analysis, the Ascendant deduced that the "What happened in Salem" and the "What happened in Astoria" threads being....dead, seeing as their last post was mid-June.

Where can he go now?

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

12 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I'm new to the whole "role-play" thing. And after reading Twi's rules and etiquettes post I may need some clarification.

I would like to join the Salem and Astoria threads please.

Also, I write up my character/s and post them in the Epics of Oregon thread?

And then I just work a way to introduce my character into the story and.....role-play?

EDIT- Upon further analysis, the Ascendant deduced that the "What happened in Salem" and the "What happened in Astoria" threads being....dead, seeing as their last post was mid-June.

Where can he go now?

They're probably not dead, mid-June having been less than a month ago. This game moves slowly sometimes, and Voidus—whose characters are integral to both of those threads—hasn't been able to get on lately due to some IRL issues. :) 

Write up your character(s) and post them in the Question so other players can give their feedback and help you tweak them, and then talk with some players in the threads you're planning to join to figure out the best way to integrate those characters into the thread. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles Thanks. I will edit this later with my character/s

EDIT- Here they are\

EDIT 2- Changed to Diablo 5, more clarification on the character's powers as well :) 

I was originally intending to make a single character and focus on him..but I decided to make a small group of Epics who can't succumb to the darkness.....(will reveal how later)

I call them Diablo 5

Spoiler

Diablo (their leader)

Spoiler

Epic Name- Diablo

Before Calamity name- William Arkansas

William Arkansas used to work in a gold mine run by the Mexican Cartel where he was whipped regularly and worked like an animal. He and his friends had run on the bad side of a debt and couldn't repay the Cartel, so they extracted their payment from William and his friends. After a year in the gold mines, Calamity struck, and William and a few of his friends gained Epic abilities and sinked into the bloodlust. They killed their masters and hunted down the rest of the Cartel, shutting down their operations and gaining followers. But the man behind the Cartel. Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo had also turned into an Epic, calling himself "The Godfather" he was more than displeased with William and his gang ruining his plans, so he and a few other Epics ambushed William's group,and decimated WIlliam's followers and killed William's best friend Miguel, up until now, William had controlled the darkness but let it out in an anguished cry, killing The Godfather as well the rest of his mortal followers. Only 5 people survived, William's closest and most powerful friends. Together they shut down the Cartels and began searching for a new ideal to live for. Along their journey they met a woman known as only as Empathy. Diablo fell in love with her and after a series of crazy adventures they got married. Along their way one of their number, a good friend of Diablo's lost the will to live after his girlfriend died of cancer and succumbed to the darkness, Diablo....with a heavy heart was forced to put him down himself.

Primary ability- Extreme Metabolism- Diablo does everything alot faster than normal men. He needs to eat alot to support himself however. He heals fast, moves fast, has enhanced reflexes and can think 5 times faster than your average man.

Secondary ability- Concentration- Diablo enters a realm where time is slowed down and Diablo can still move at a normal pace, all life-forms are outlined in red. However Diablo cannot move his legs during this phase, or the Concentration will break

Passive abilities- Oxygen cloud, Diablo releases Oxygen through his pores which enhance the cognitive abilities of himself as well as those around him

Intuition- Diablo can instantly see the connection between objects, however vague

Weakness- Diablo can only be harmed by those he considers his friends.

Appearance- Diablo looks like Silas Greaves from Call of Juarez- The Gunslinger (look him up) I'll draw him but here's the general idea

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c

Empathy- Diablo's wife

Spoiler

Epic Name- Empathy

Empathy was born blind, and spent her whole life being treated like dirt from her devout Cristian parents who saw her as a curse from Satan himself. When Calamity struck on her 20th birthday, she discovered 

Empathy is like an empty cup. Waiting to be filled with emotion. She is a storage bank for emotions. She is also a gifter

Primary ability- Emotion storage- Empathy can take particular emotions from people and Epics like fear, but can also give them more of a particular emotion, like loyalty or love as long as she has stored it. She can only store one emotion at a time, which takes both Time and Effort. If given enough time and with the right amount of determination, then perhaps she could turn someone into an emotionless being. She has a limit to how much emotion she can store which proportionally depends on how much emotion she herself can handle and control.

Secondary ability- Clear thinking- Empathy can gift others with the ability of self-control and can help them control themselves. She cannot use the ability herself however

These two abilities are how she can combat the darkness. COMBAT the darkness!!!!!!. She fights it, similar to how Prof fights it, however she just has that edge of the darkness.

Epic Name- Medicine Man

Spoiler

Medicine man/ Skinwalker

Before Calamity- Achak Mohegan (Spirit Wolf)

Achak’s friends called him Hogan. Well, that was before Calamity struck while he was partying late night in Las Vegas and he killed everyone :/ How? Well he turned into a massive grey wolf and ripped their throats out. When dawn approached, Hogan reverted back into human form. But even in human form….he had changed, his skin had become rock hard, he found that his…..genitals had disappeared, his tongue was black, he had more facial hair than he had ever remembered having. And on his arms, tattoos had appeared, of Native American wolf totems. Upon looking into a mirror, he found that his eyes had enlarged and softly glowed gold. And his teeth had become sharp and pointed. He was more wolf than man.

Primary ability- Skinwalker- Achak can turn into a wolf on will, however only at night when the moon shines. When he is in wolf form, he loses all traces of humanity, however becomes infinitely more intelligent and can imitate voices and anticipate possible futures and realities.

Secondary ability- Imitation- When in human form, Achak can take the form of whoever or whatever he looks into straight in the eye, but he can only turn into the last thing which eyes he looked into. He is still himself however, his voice, and physical properties remain the same. (glowing eyes etc etc)

Tertiary ability- Medicine man- Achak can create any cure and remedy and instinctively knows the properties of every herb and plant that he sees and can only create cures and remedies with his available resources.

Passive ability- Tracker- Achak can track anyone as long as they leave some sign that they were there. A scent, a broken leaf, a footprint, all of this Achak can use to hunt his prey.

Appearance- Achak is moderately tanned and has sharp features, an angular nose and clear, smooth, wrinkle free skin. He wears a wolf’s pelt around his shoulders with hawk feathers braided into the fur.  He has large glowing eyes and massive sideburns. He is tall, well built with rock hard skin. He walks around bare-chested with tribal tattoos of animals, spirits and totems on his chest, shoulders and arms. His back is covered with the pelt and has a wolf’s head just visible from under the pelt tattooed on. He wears a utility belt with all the herbs he could possibly need inside each pouch. He wears camo trousers with a machete and a hook and chain tied to his waist. He walks around barefoot

I will do the rest of Diablo 5 later. 

Edited by Darkness Ascendant
updating post.

8 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles Thanks. I will edit this later with my character/s

EDIT- Here they are

I was originally intending to make a single character and focus on him..but I decided to make a small group of Epics who can't succumb to the darkness.....(will reveal how later)

I call them Diablo 9

Hide contents

Diablo (their leader)

Hide contents

Epic Name- Diablo

Before Calamity name- William Arkansas

William Arkansas used to work in a gold mine run by the Mexican Cartel where he was whipped regularly and worked like an animal. He and his friends had run on the bad side of a debt and couldn't repay the Cartel, so they extracted their payment from William and his friends. After a year in the gold mines, Calamity struck, and William and a few of his friends gained Epic abilities and sinked into the bloodlust. They killed their masters and hunted down the rest of the Cartel, shutting down their operations and gaining followers. But the man behind the Cartel. Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo had also turned into an Epic, calling himself "The Godfather" he was more than displeased with William and his gang ruining his plans, so he and a few other Epics ambushed William's group,and decimated WIlliam's followers and killed William's best friend Miguel, up until now, William had controlled the darkness but let it out in an anguished cry, killing The Godfather as well the rest of his mortal followers. Only 5 people survived, William's closest and most powerful friends. Together they shut down the Cartels and began searching for a new ideal to live for. Along their journey they met a woman known as only as Empathy. Diablo fell in love with her and after a series of crazy adventures they got married. 3 more people joined Diablo's group by this and now they make their way to the town of Salem, hoping to find more good to do.

Primary ability- Extreme Metabolism- Diablo does everything alot faster than normal men. He needs to eat alot to support himself however. He heals fast, moves fast, has enhanced reflexes and can think 5 times faster than your average man.

Secondary ability- Concentration- Diablo enters a realm where time is slowed down and Diablo can still move at a normal pace, all life-forms are outlined in red. Howver Diablo cannot move his legs during this phase, or the Concentration will break

Passive abilities- Oxygen cloud, Diablo releases Oxygen through his pores which enhance the cognitive abilities of himself as well as those around him

Intuition- Diablo can instantly see the connection between objects, howver vague

Weakness- Diablo can only be harmed by those he considers his friends.

Appearance- Diablo looks like Silas Greaves from Call of Juarez- The Gunslinger (look him up) I'l draw him but here's the general idea

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c

Empathy- Diablo's wife

Reveal hidden contents

Epic Name- Empathy

Empathy is like an empty cup. Waiting to be filled with emotion. She is a storage bank for emotions. She is also a gifter

Primary ability- Emotion storage- Empathy can take particular emotions from people and Epics like fear, but can also give them more of a particular emotion, like loyalty or love as long as she has stored it.

Secondary ability- Clear thinking- Empathy can gift others with the ability of self-control and can help them control themselves.

These two abilities are how she can combat the darkness

I will do the rest of Diablo 9 later. (I was waiting for paint to dry while writing this...and now it's dry)

They seem interesting, but I'll echo Chandrian and say that nine is excessive, especially for a new member. Plus, an Epic who "can't succumb to the darkness" breaks canon. 

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

They seem interesting, but I'll echo Chandrian and say that nine is excessive, especially for a new member. Plus, an Epic who "can't succumb to the darkness" breaks canon. 

She may not be able to avoid succumbing to darkness, but she could use the emotions of others to emulate normality. Doing so would likely leave others empty husks, but it would be more interesting that way!

On an unrelated note, I hope to get a Wastelands post up, making it officially un-dead.

2 minutes ago, Chandrian said:

She may not be able to avoid succumbing to darkness, but she could use the emotions of others to emulate normality. Doing so would likely leave others empty husks, but it would be more interesting that way!

On an unrelated note, I hope to get a Wastelands post up, making it officially un-dead.

Interesting, sure, but some hard limits would need to be set around that power, lest she become OP. (I'm envisioning her coming into town and turning player characters into empty husks without giving them the chance to fight back.) 

4 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Interesting, sure, but some hard limits would need to be set around that power, lest she become OP. (I'm envisioning her coming into town and turning player characters into empty husks without giving them the chance to fight back.) 

The question is, though, would stripping them of their emotions make them docile or more dangerous. Taking emotions from someone might make them utterly remorseless and merciless. If they realize what's happening to them is inherently wrong, they could potentially be an incredible threat to Empathy.

12 minutes ago, Chandrian said:

The question is, though, would stripping them of their emotions make them docile or more dangerous. Taking emotions from someone might make them utterly remorseless and merciless. If they realize what's happening to them is inherently wrong, they could potentially be an incredible threat to Empathy.

Doesn't change the fact that their emotions have been stripped from them against their will. If they were given the chance to fight that emotion stripping, then I can see it working all right, but if it's just "bam, you have no emotions now," I don't know that players would be comfortable with that. You could argue that Quota does something similar by dampening the emotions that are already there, but the effect wears off when Quota withdraws. I guess what I'm saying is that if Empathy's powers strip people of their emotions, it shouldn't be permanent. 

All things considered, taking away emotions is barely above turning them into mindless pupets as far as taking character agency goes, which is very much against the spirit of a game like this. Then there's planting emotions into people's heads, which just completes the set of effectively mind control.

Edited by Edgedancer

33 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

All things considered, taking away emotions is barely above turning them into mindless pupets as far as taking character agency goes, which is very much against the spirit of a game like this. Then there's planting emotions into people's heads, which just completes the set of effectively mind control.

Right. And Quota doesn't control the people he affects; he just dampens a few of their emotions. He has no control over how they'll react to his manipulations, and if he commanded them to do something, there is a high likelihood that they would either refuse or attack him. 

4 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Right. And Quota doesn't control the people he affects; he just dampens a few of their emotions. He has no control over how they'll react to his manipulations, and if he commanded them to do something, there is a high likelihood that they would either refuse or attack him. 

Yeah, even upgraded Quota doesn't reach the same level of influence.

@Comatose Not to be too pushy, but if at all possible, would you mind pushing the Altermind sample higher on your priorities? I leave in 3 weeks and will basically be dropping off the Shard in 2 and I'd like to get this all sorted ASAP. 

Does anyone wish to adopt Flashpoint and/or Edgerunner? Aside from Altermind, they're the ones I care most about getting taken care of. 

16 hours ago, Chandrian said:

The characters are interesting, but nine of them seems excessive to me. Unless you wanted to join The Wastelands (which is kind of dead at the moment), I'd say nine is too many for any given area at once. Just my opinion though. 

Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. Turning them into Diablo 5. Maybe 4 of them died in their sleep.idk. It would take alot to keep track of them all lol.

16 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

She herself can succumb to the darkness, she cannot use her Epic powers on herself. (I need to update the thing with new ideas). She can take away specific emotions, one at a time, not all at once, And she also has a limit to the amount of emotions she can take. So if she wanted to take the loyalty from a guy with undying loyalty to a specific thing, a fanaticism almost, she will only be able to take as much as she can handle, or she will break her limit and all of the emotions would essentially "break like a dam" and flood out, consuming her and those around her, turning them into Primal emotions.

14 hours ago, Chandrian said:

To turn one into a husk would take ALOT of effort and time, as she can only take a specific emotion, one at a time, also she can always forget a specific emotion.

Also, the emotions she takes would have to be returned or given away to someone else, or else or else she won't be able to use her powers directly as she won't have enough storage. I'm thinking of having the Diablo 5 find a mysterious object along their path which can act as a receptacle for emotions, essentially limitless storage for emotions.

14 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Answered above

13 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Doesn't change the fact that their emotions have been stripped from them against their will. If they were given the chance to fight that emotion stripping, then I can see it working all right, but if it's just "bam, you have no emotions now," I don't know that players would be comfortable with that. You could argue that Quota does something similar by dampening the emotions that are already there, but the effect wears off when Quota withdraws. I guess what I'm saying is that if Empathy's powers strip people of their emotions, it shouldn't be permanent. 

She cannot just go BAM no emotions for you. It takes time and effort, plus she has to be close to the person. Plus she doesn't have a prime invincibility. so....they could just kill her :/ which I hope they don't, cos I have many plans for her. many, many plans.

13 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

They can fight back, no problem, the character would have to be......special not to notice their emotions are being tampered with. Personally, I would find it quite obvious if I suddenly lost the will to live, with no explanation. She can only tamper with them emotionally, not cognitively, so they wouldn't be mindless puppets, just people with less emotions than others. Planting emotions would not be mind control, as perfectly ascribed by Brandon Sanderson himself in Mistborn, like Breeze says, just nudging them in the "right" direction, they can always ask themselves, "Wait, why am I doing this", unless of course, Empathy has the forethought to take away their curiosity before giving them More  of a particular emotion, keep in mind that they already have the emotion, it's the amount that matters.\

I'm gonna start working on the character's. I was planning on playing Terraria :) but I think my time would be better spent fixing them up and clearing any misconceptions.

Thanks for the great feedback guys! If you all were more active in Creator's Corner, some great things could happen. Keep it up so I have a reason to answer your questions

9 hours ago, Mailliw73 said:

@Comatose Not to be too pushy, but if at all possible, would you mind pushing the Altermind sample higher on your priorities? I leave in 3 weeks and will basically be dropping off the Shard in 2 and I'd like to get this all sorted ASAP. 

Does anyone wish to adopt Flashpoint and/or Edgerunner? Aside from Altermind, they're the ones I care most about getting taken care of. 

Thanks for the reminder @Mailliw73!  I'll try to get something together over the weekend so we have time to workshop things.  Does that sound good?