2,838 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

Hmm. If it's OK with you, I could write for one of the townspeople who were forced into Koschei's service as soldiers, then betrayed him. How does that sound?

For writing purposes, did Koschei activate their wounds when they revolted?

Fine by me. :) 

He did, though he didn't usually jump straight to letting them bleed out. Not one to waste manpower, he'd activate the wounds to stop the revolt, and depending on their reaction, he'd either heal it again and let them off with a very strong warning, or give them a second wound that would've provided a slower and more painful death than the first, if possible. He didn't really have a threshold for when he'd dispense with the warnings and just kill the rebellious soldier; he preferred to keep them on their toes and his mercy was definitely a slave to his temper. Though at some point not too long after a second attempt, he'd lose patience and just let them die. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's the thing. I am going to be leaving on my 2-year mission soon, which means i will not be able to continue here. So i need to know hoe to get my characters either to a good place (dead, on a bus, etc.) or to good hands. 

What do you all suggest for each character? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mail-mi said:

So here's the thing. I am going to be leaving on my 2-year mission soon, which means i will not be able to continue here. So i need to know hoe to get my characters either to a good place (dead, on a bus, etc.) or to good hands. 

What do you all suggest for each character? 

Let's see, Timeport is exceedingly hard to kill and unlikely to happen anytime soon. So short of someone putting him into a coma, he'd likely need to be turned NPC or adopted.
Reader has recently shifted into the background anyway, so having him turned into an NPC to show up only when he's needed shouldn't be too hard.
Busdriver... already is on a bus, sadly it's a bus heading straight towards more plot while being full of NPCs. I guess the best choice here would be to have someone catch it afterall.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

Guys.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/profile/524-lucentia/

She ran out of people to complain to in Oregon, so she BROKE INTO THE REAL WORLD. :blink:

The introduction post wasn't snooty, so I can only imagine that this is a coincidence... please.:mellow:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

Hey, Edge.

Why does Lucentia annoy us?

Well, because she's so darn diamonding:P

Oh, no you didn't. Lucentia is not to be dignified with a pun. Otherwise you're just being backhanded.:ph34r:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mail-mi said:

So here's the thing. I am going to be leaving on my 2-year mission soon, which means i will not be able to continue here. So i need to know hoe to get my characters either to a good place (dead, on a bus, etc.) or to good hands. 

What do you all suggest for each character? 

Same goes for me. August 3rd is when I officially leave, but that last week before I really won't be on at all. 

Cog has requested that he adopt Chimera, and I think that's a good fit. So that's one down. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mailliw73 said:

Same goes for me. August 3rd is when I officially leave, but that last week before I really won't be on at all. 

Cog has requested that he adopt Chimera, and I think that's a good fit. So that's one down. 

The most important one to adopt would be Altermind, I think.
Electro and Edgerunner aren't that high a priority, though unless they get killed there isn't much to do concerninc putting them on a bus.

15 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

As Adelmo is currently waiting for Backtrack to break out of fear-induced muteness/paralysis, he decided to make a business card to pass the time. He even used some clever graphic design skills!

  Hide contents

TxaNZHU.png

What a clever operative he is. ^_^

Now I wonder what would happen if you add an Elmo to Lucentia.:mellow:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Edgedancer said:

The most important one to adopt would be Altermind, I think.
Electro and Edgerunner aren't that high a priority, though unless they get killed there isn't much to do concerninc putting them on a bus.

Agreed. Though I would prefer someone took up Edgerunner if at all possible. Electro can be killed without mercy. :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can take over Timeport, and once his scene is finished he can move to basically a background NPC soldier for Corpsemaker.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

I have a confession. Every time I make a joke, part of my motivation is to lure out @Kobold King. Here' a visual metaphor of the situation:

  Reveal hidden contents

xdBOVmC.png

…I wonder how he'll feel about this when he sees it. :P

 

HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT ANYTHING YOU COULD DO, PUNY MORTAL, IS CAPABLE OF SUMMONING ME FROM MY--

 

--sparks.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Mailliw73  In the interest of getting more into Portland, I'd be interested in taking over Altermind while you are away (I've always loved illusionists).  I'd also understand if it's preferred for a more established Portland player to have him.  

I'd also be okay with submitting an RP sample or something to see if I get his tone/voice correct.  

@mail-mi I think I mostly agree with Edge.  Catching the bus is probably a good idea too, considering all of the characters on it could become inactive.  The one character of yours I would really like to see someone adopt is Gregory since he's kind of a big part of the Corvallis rebellion plot line.  

If You'd rather Reader not be side lined, I would be willing to try him out as well, but I worry about over-committing, and it seems like he would work well as an NPC at least for the time being.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comatose said:

 

@mail-mi I think I mostly agree with Edge.  Catching the bus is probably a good idea too, considering all of the characters on it could become inactive.  The one character of yours I would really like to see someone adopt is Gregory since he's kind of a big part of the Corvallis rebellion plot line.   

The question becomes who could capture the bus. It would be kind of awkward for Deathwish or another one of the Epics engaged in the aireal fight to turn around and chase the bus after all. I guess the most effective solution would be for Scribbler to worry about wanting to help with the current siege and "recruit" Shiny into catching up with the bus after getting up to speed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Comatose said:

 @Mailliw73  In the interest of getting more into Portland, I'd be interested in taking over Altermind while you are away (I've always loved illusionists).  I'd also understand if it's preferred for a more established Portland player to have him.  

I'd also be okay with submitting an RP sample or something to see if I get his tone/voice correct.  

That'd be great! 

That would help a lot, just to make sure he stays consistent. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to post my part in Corvallis today, sorry for the wait @Edgedancer, it's been a tough weekend :unsure:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I'm new to this RPG. I have made an Epic, what do I do with it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know, how about I post him here

 

Epic Name: Borrower

Actual Name: Adam South

Gender: Male 

Age: 26

Appearance: Varied

Primary Power: Can use powers of Epics who part with them willingly: this leaves the donor without powers temporally but the donor can take back their powers at any time, leaving him powerless.

Secondary Power: Can shapeshift without limits, but his mass will remain constant while shapeshifting. This encourages him to gain as much weight as possible.

Personality: Supremely confident, someone who can lead others without qualms. Rather impulsive, but sees this as a weakness and over compensates. Insanely intelligent, with an IQ of 182.

Weakness: Should I include this?

 

Any suggestions are welcome!

Edited by antgrgmn
Fixing the formatting
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, antgrgmn said:

Ya know, how about I post him here

 

Epic Name: Borrower

Actual Name: Adam South

Gender: Male 

Age: 26

Appearance: Varied

Primary Power: Can use powers of Epics who part with them willingly: this leaves the donor without powers temporally but the donor can take back their powers at any time, leaving him powerless.

Secondary Power: Can shapeshift without limits, but his mass will remain constant while shapeshifting. This encourages him to gain as much weight as possible.

Personality: Supremely confident, someone who can lead others without qualms. Rather impulsive, but sees this as a weakness and over compensates. Insanely intelligent, with an IQ of 182.

Weakness: Should I include this?

 

Any suggestions are welcome!

Firstly, welcome! 

Secondly, I'm going to post my thoughts, and others will chime in. The workshopping step is just how we make sure an Epic will be a good fit for the game. 

My first thought when I read the shapeshifting bit was that there aren't going to be very many Epics who part with their powers willingly. They're paranoid, and they depend on those powers, so why give them up? To them, it'd be the superpowered version of the Nigerian prince scam. Even if Borrower lets them know up front that they can take their powers back at any time, they'll have no reason to believe him, and wouldn't agree to the deal. So the power stealing would wind up being useless. (Not to mention that assumers aren't really allowed in this game.) 
The shapeshifting is a much more useful power, though I'd like to know what "without limits" means. 
Superhuman intelligence is a very difficult character trait to write; unless you happen to have an IQ of 182, you're not going to be able to portray someone with an IQ of 182 accurately. If you want to make him more intelligent than average, that's doable, but giving him an IQ that high is going to cause more trouble than it's worth. 
When your Epic is approved and you know which thread he's going to go in, PM his weakness to me and the GM of that thread. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't seem to get pics to work but...

 

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, @antgrgmn !

I'm afraid that as TwiLyght wrote, there won't be much use to your Epics powers of borrowing in the game. It's hard to imagine under what circumstances other Epics would agree to have their powers taken from them. How about copying powers? That would be more likely to work, but obviously, you'd still have a very tough job of convincing anyone to let him copy their powers. However, I like you idea, it's creative :)

Shapeshifting without limits... does that mean he can shapeshift into a small tree? Would he be able to retain his mind/consciousness without a brain?

I also agree that such high IQ is hard to write. Most of the times, there are no occasions to manifest it, as you don't have much control over the world and you cannot set up situations to let it shine. If done badly, this high IQ starts to look like precognition and that's forbidden and not really possible in this game.

I really like that you didn't make a High Epic and tried to create a set of interesting abilities instead :) I hope we'll find a good final version for your Epic and you'll join the game soon :)

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you really think about the shapeshifting abitity, it does kinda make him invincible. How about I just give him highly improved senses, and then he could shapeshift his body around the bullet. Even if he did get shot, he could immediately shapeshift to heal the wound. He might lose a bit of mass, but I don't think he could die. He could also move his organs around, so it would be hard to shoot his brain. How about he had to have room for his brain. That would make the ability less OP in my mind. However, he couldn't really be captured, unless his weakness was engaged. As for the borrowing powers, could he just mimic them, when they are given willingly?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, antgrgmn said:

Well, if you really think about the shapeshifting abitity, it does kinda make him invincible. How about I just give him highly improved senses, and then he could shapeshift his body around the bullet. Even if he did get shot, he could immediately shapeshift to heal the wound. He might lose a bit of mass, but I don't think he could die. He could also move his organs around, so it would be hard to shoot his brain. How about he had to have room for his brain. That would make the ability less OP in my mind. However, he couldn't really be captured, unless his weakness was engaged. As for the borrowing powers, could he just mimic them, when they are given willingly?

Okay, before we get into a discussion of OP-ness and th potential thereof, could you explain what "shape shift without limits" means?

And again, I highly doubt any Epic in their right mind would let their powers be stolen or imitated. They're too paranoid. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, he can shapeshift into any shape that has a spot large enough for his brain.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, antgrgmn said:

So, he can shapeshift into any shape that has a spot large enough for his brain.

So it has to be a living being, or could be turn into a trash can?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

And again, I highly doubt any Epic in their right mind would let their powers be stolen or imitated. They're too paranoid. 

Eh, if they don't actually loose their powers and can get them back any time they want it might make sense for them to hand them over but that actually makes it worse  from a narrative standpoint because they could just turn him into a mass of several powers to point at the biggest threat around let him take that out and then look him away again, essentially giving whoever's side he's on the next best thing to an "I win button" possible The question would also be what happens to the powers when the original Epic dies.

Just now, antgrgmn said:

So, he can shapeshift into any shape that has a spot large enough for his brain.

Shape, not material, right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

So it has to be a living being, or could be turn into a trash can?

He could be a trash can, but he can't change his color. He was caucasian with brown hair, so he could be anything, but would be fairly obvious.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.