I want to make a epic that was a scientist before and after the calamity, his epic name Field, his human name John.

He is extremely intelligent, creative and has no fear. After the calamity, he discovered that he had an amazing power and decided to research as many epics as he could.

Primary Power is creating force fields. He can create them up to 10 feet long and the shape is always a sphere that surrounds him. The force field is invincible and can not be moved in any way. He can only make one at a time. He uses his power to protect himself while researching other epics.

Secondary Power is that he can slightly effect time within his force field. He can speed up time or slow it down, to an extent. He cannot stop time completely, but can still make it really fast or slow.

I thought this is was an interesting idea and wanted to try it out. Any ideas? 

I want to make a epic that was a scientist before and after the calamity, his epic name Field, his human name John.

He is extremely intelligent, creative and has no fear.

All epics fear their weakness. If he fears nothing else except the weakness I guess that works.

Also the time speed change thing would make for some interesting RP moments.

All epics fear their weakness. If he fears nothing else except the weakness I guess that works.

Also the time speed change thing would make for some interesting RP moments.

From his post in the intro thread it seems like he hasn't even read the Reckoners..

EDIT: Also, I should clarify on my post about the group of people. There would be about four of them.

Edited by Master Elodin

Sounds interesting, certainly. Not overpowered either.

What are his motivations, modus operandi, and personality like?

I could definitely see him in either Corvallis or Salem as an established resident

@Elodin: you will need to be about 1000% more specific about this group of four people haha :P who and what are they?

Edited by Blackhoof

I could definitely see him in either Corvallis or Salem as an established resident

@Elodin: you will need to be about 1000% more specific about this group of four people haha :P who and what are they?

I think Field could go in Astoria, since his forcefield keeps him pretty safe, and the qhole studying Epics thing.

He is extremely intelligent, creative and has no fear. After the calamity, he discovered that he had an amazing power and decided to research as many epics as he could.

Primary Power is creating force fields. He can create them up to 10 feet long and the shape is always a sphere that surrounds him. The force field is invincible and can not be moved in any way. He can only make one at a time. He uses his power to protect himself while researching other epics.

Secondary Power is that he can slightly effect time within his force field. He can speed up time or slow it down, to an extent. He cannot stop time completely, but can still make it really fast or slow.

I thought this is was an interesting idea and wanted to try it out. Any ideas? 

When the forcefield shows up does it expand from him or just come into exsistence? As for the time manipulation, can he affect things selectively within the forcefield or only the bubble in its entirety? Appart from that I'm echoing what the others have said about detailing his MO (and what researching even means in this context) and the no fear thing being a problem.

I think Field could go in Astoria, since his forcefield keeps him pretty safe, and the qhole studying Epics thing.

That could be done. I mean, he doesn't have a perfect defense but I can think of Epics capable of getting through his defenses in pretty much any location, so that isn't saying much.

Edited by Edgedancer

Me, or Cog? I don't mind, and I actually think it would add a lot to her backstory.

Well, that's Twi's choice, but I think that it's a great idea. :)

I was referring to Cog -since as I say, she's a kid so she's not likely to actually be able to do anything- but a cameo during a Koschei flashback would be fun :ph34r:

When the forcefield shows up does it expand from him or just come into exsistence? As for the time manipulation, can he affect things selectively within the forcefield or only the bubble in its entirety? Appart from that I'm echoing what the others have said about detailing his MO (and what researching even means in this context) and the no fear thing being a problem.

It just comes into existence. He has to affect the entire thing at once. I meant that he doesn't really fear other epics, but yes he does fear his weakness. I already decided on a weakness and am trying to make the character more complete before I reveal the weakness to the GM.

Field is an interesting guy, he always was interested in the more dangerous side of science and what gets more dangerous than epics? He does not have a family and is 36 years old. He owns a big van that has lots of books and notebooks.

No, I have not read the Reckoners, so if you guys could help explain things that would be great.

No, I have not read the Reckoners, so if you guys could help explain things that would be great.

I'm going to put my GM hat on and say that you'll need to read the series before you can join. Although it would be possible for us to explain the finer points of the world and Epic corruption--and you could get a pretty thorough explanation from the players here--you'll have a better grasp on everything if you read the books yourself.

I'm going to put my GM hat on and say that you'll need to read the series before you can join. Although it would be possible for us to explain the finer points of the world and Epic corruption--and you could get a pretty thorough explanation from the players here--you'll have a better grasp on everything if you read the books yourself.

Ok, but one of you guys can use the character idea, if you want.

Ok, but one of you guys can use the character idea, if you want.

Thanks, but hold off on putting him up for adoption until you've read at least the first two books, since those are the ones that'll probably help you develop him the most. If you decide you'd rather go with a different character, go ahead and put Field up for adoption. 

Theyre a group of four people from the late 1700s to early 1800s brought back by a solely backstory epic named Valere who can summon people from the past. I'm working on a portfolio for each of them. Edited by Master Elodin

It sounds interesting, but that Epic sounds pretty OP.

Random idea: he doesn't, strictly speaking, bring people back from the past. He can cause figures in oil paintings to materialize as living and breathing people, but their personalities and memories aren't consistent with who those people really were. They're very heavily influenced by how Valere perceives those people.

Random idea: he doesn't, strictly speaking, bring people back from the past. He can cause figures in oil paintings to materialize as living and breathing people, but their personalities and memories aren't consistent with who those people really were. They're very heavily influenced by how Valere perceives those people.

That's a lot less OP, while still keeping the fun aspect of it.

That idea sounds good, yeah. Of course there's still the risk that these people might just melt the moment they come into contact with whatever the Epics weakness is but that's another point entirely.

I like this. Will they stay alive when the Epic is dead?

Edited by Master Elodin

That idea sounds good, yeah. Of course there's still the risk that these people might just melt the moment they come into contact with whatever the Epics weakness is but that's another point entirely.

That would actually make for a great character plot if Valere were to actually appear. Imagine if one of the oil constructs witnessed one of his brethren melting upon coming into contact with something, and then having to keep the fact that he knows his master's weakness a secret lest he get melted too.

That would actually make for a great character plot if Valere were to actually appear. Imagine if one of the oil constructs witnessed one of his brethren melting upon coming into contact with something, and then having to keep the fact that he knows his master's weakness a secret lest he get melted too.

Yeah, I guess one of them is expendable.

Yeah ok. I was thinking though, maybe if they got hurt the oil would just reform the flesh like one of Regalia's projections.

Those were projections of a single Epic exerting direct control over them, speaking through them like holograms. If these living paintings act as if they have free will, it seems like they'd operate by different rules and have different limitations. Sacrificing stability for autonomy, if you will.