So, filtered through the mindset of Sentry...

Abaddon did the dumbest thing he could possibly have done.

(Which I'll explain via my next post IC, but the reasoning is laid out below)

So, as I've established, Sentry's abilities are related to her physical appearance. I admit, I'm kind of keeping it vague on whether being cruel to her about it -saying "You're fat!"- is the specific weakness, or if it's more a case of her vanity -  her thinking "I'm fat!" triggering it- but the point is her physical side and her powers are connected. Which is why she's freaking out over having pictures of her vandalised because, aside from obscuring her own vision-via-them, drawing things like teddy bears ("childish), mustaches ("hairy upper lip") and so on draw attention and insult her appearance...

Which she is interpreting as "Oh storms someone knows my weakness and they are taunting me with it."

...And right after that, she get's a call from a guy who just happened to breeze into town? And the first thing he does is catch the guy responsible for the vandalizing and is holding him captive? And Sentry can't look at them since, well, her powers are on the fritz right now...

Best case scenario: Abbadon is being genuine, and he has captured the guy who knows her weakness. In which case, he might have told Abaddon, and he now knows her weakness.

Worst case: the vandal is Abaddon, and she would be walking blind into a trap.

Congratulations. You have triggered a paranoiac breakdown of Salem's law and order! :P

...Incidently, to reiterate: this is dumb from Sentry's PoV. Because Sentry is someone who wants to scheme and take over Salem, and her confidence comes from being All-Seeing. She's a paranoid backstabber, so this is really a perfect storm of events working against him more than anything...

Oh, I'm really sorry, I had no idea. Genuinely.

Anyway, I got the gang leader's character set up already. He'll be murdering NPC Epics. Marco Wizard, Epic assassinator! And/or whatever he gets paid for.

The first target will be an NPC. Same with the second. The third will be Sentry, and I plan for the assassin to horribly mess it up. Then it's Abaddon. (Is it even possible to kill Abaddon?)

Quiver: If we actually want Sentry to take the gangs seriously, we need someone relatively important to die. What is Showstopper's powerset...Enhanced strength/speed, and the ability to cancel one Epic's non-tertiary power? There's a chance she could be killed by a vanilla.

Edited by breakingamber

Which brings me to another problem: Is Abaddon too OP?

I TL;DR'd the profile the first time you posted it, but I just went back and read it again. Having been with this RP for a while, I can say that you don't really have to worry about dying so much. Epics get by just fine without PI's. In fact, it's often better when they're "vulnerable," since they have to be a bit more clever. The incorporeality is fine, but perhaps you should go with Blackhoof's idea and have the pain be a sort of physical attack that he shoots out. It's usually best if a power has a sort of moving, "mechanical" element to it.

Is the jello thing Mouldbreaker's only power? Or does he have a PI?

It is. In most cases, I think that his transfersion would count as a Prime Invincibility, since he has enough precision to render bullets and weapons useless. Against Epics that can kill outright, though, it's not as useful (though he can still drown them or whatever.) 

I TL;DR'd the profile the first time you posted it, but I just went back and read it again. Having been with this RP for a while, I can say that you don't really have to worry about dying so much. Epics get by just fine without PI's. In fact, it's often better when they're "vulnerable," since they have to be a bit more clever. The incorporeality is fine, but perhaps you should go with Blackhoof's idea and have the pain be a sort of physical attack that he shoots out. It's usually best if a power has a sort of moving, "mechanical" element to it.

It is. In most cases, I think that his transfersion would count as a Prime Invincibility, since he has enough precision to render bullets and weapons useless. Against Epics that can kill outright, though, it's not as useful (though he can still drown them or whatever.) 

Can it move really really quickly? Like, speed of sound quickly?

As for the gang thing, what do you think?

Can it move really really quickly? Like, speed of sound quickly?

As for the gang thing, what do you think?

I don't think there's any point to limiting something by forcing it to move first and then making it so fast that no ordinary person could dodge it anyway.

I don't think there's any point to limiting something by forcing it to move first and then making it so fast that no ordinary person could dodge it anyway.

I suppose... Say it moves 60 miles an hour. Not so fast so that it's undodgable, but fast enough to catch most people who don't know any better. 

Who wants to find the body of FluffyBun? Candidates are:

Heartsleeve

Countdown

Mouldbreaker

And/or anyone else who really wants to. Anybody?

Edited by breakingamber

So Quiver: Can Sentry see out of all her posters at once, or all her posters, but one at a time (like Regalia)

Also, where is the symbol for Spoiler? I'm sick of typing spoiler tags.

I...had imagined it as the former. But actually, if Regalia can't do that, then multiviewing might be too overpowered...

I...had imagined it as the former. But actually, if Regalia can't do that, then multiviewing might be too overpowered...

Regalia has some pretty badass other powers. However, Sentry's only power is viewing so I suppose she can be all seeing.

We might have some problems with that blond guy who burned Sentry's posters.

Twy: Your mannerisms are showing when I play Mafia online. http://www.debate.org/forums/games/topic/86255/4/

Edited by breakingamber

So I'm leaving for Oahu tomorrow, and will not be bringing my laptop with me, so I thought I would check in one more time, since I will be completely (not just sort of) gone the next two weeks.   I skimmed some of the posts, and will get to people when I return though.  Thanks to Corvallis people for being patient!

One clarification RE::Euphoria - I thought I posted about this either in her epic profile, or maybe in her initial post, but her identity is a secret from everyone except her inner circle.  She's very paranoid, and worries way too much about assassination to be out in the open.  So she blends in with other staffers in public, and often times even her fellow staff just thinks she's a higher up aide, and not one of the Queens herself.  She often gifts her powers to her agents from behind the same screen she uses for the regular memory re-write appointments with the vanillas, or she drops powers from a distance in a public location.  The important government epics would all know what she looks like, but most vanillas and epics would not.  Hope that helps in the planning!  Sorry again for my absence.

I'm hoping to be back regularly when I return mid-May, but that will kind of depend on how things with my Dad are going.  At the very least I should be able to check in irregularly.  

So I'm leaving for Oahu tomorrow, and will not be bringing my laptop with me, so I thought I would check in one more time, since I will be completely (not just sort of) gone the next two weeks. I skimmed some of the posts, and will get to people when I return though. Thanks to Corvallis people for being patient!

One clarification RE::Euphoria - I thought I posted about this either in her epic profile, or maybe in her initial post, but her identity is a secret from everyone except her inner circle. She's very paranoid, and worries way too much about assassination to be out in the open. So she blends in with other staffers in public, and often times even her fellow staff just thinks she's a higher up aide, and not one of the Queens herself. She often gifts her powers to her agents from behind the same screen she uses for the regular memory re-write appointments with the vanillas, or she drops powers from a distance in a public location. The important government epics would all know what she looks like, but most vanillas and epics would not. Hope that helps in the planning! Sorry again for my absence.

I'm hoping to be back regularly when I return mid-May, but that will kind of depend on how things with my Dad are going. At the very least I should be able to check in irregularly.

Who will be the Astoria thread GM now that you're gone?

It's just that he doesn't kill with pain on a whim, not that he can't, although that idea is interesting.

How about this: The pain blast will travel at about the speed of sound, so it will be near instantaneous.

Super speed is one way to combat him. Then again, super speed can combat almost anything...

Gifting powers work not as well on other Epics. Actually using powers on other Epics doesn't damper them.

Incorporeality classifies you as a High Epic doesn't it? I like the idea of being unable to attack him.

that's ok, but the issue is that he CAN do something, even if he WON'T. 

Either a) he will never do it, for whatever reason, and never consider doing it, for any reason, in the whole RP. In which case, why give him the ability?

or B) he will use it in a desperate situation, which since it is an almost insta-kill ability, could make things anti-climactic when he does it. And bad for the story, by extension. So why give him the ability, if it will make the story less interesting?

and as Edge said, we have established in-RP at least that almost all Epic powers are less effective/not effective against other Epics, bar direct-damage ones like pyrokinesis. For instance- Lightwards can't resurrect Epics, Iconoclast can't ghoulify them, Bioterror takes longer to kill them.

Its just to give each other's characters more protection, and allow us to have abilities that can do awful, OP things to hordes of vanillas while not being capable of killing off the main characters (Epics).

Oh, I'm really sorry, I had no idea. Genuinely.

Anyway, I got the gang leader's character set up already. He'll be murdering NPC Epics. Marco Wizard, Epic assassinator! And/or whatever he gets paid for.

The first target will be an NPC. Same with the second. The third will be Sentry, and I plan for the assassin to horribly mess it up. Then it's Abaddon. (Is it even possible to kill Abaddon?)

Quiver: If we actually want Sentry to take the gangs seriously, we need someone relatively important to die. What is Showstopper's powerset...Enhanced strength/speed, and the ability to cancel one Epic's non-tertiary power? There's a chance she could be killed by a vanilla.

I'd be cautious about murdering even minor Epics (note: nor saying DON'T do it) because it tends to be a big deal. Think about Newcago- Epics are the only ones with rights, and they all have a complex where vanillas even talking back to an Epic is an unforgivable subversion of the natural order. Epics getting murdered by humans? Big deal, in a city that values law and order. The gangs would mostly want to stay away from Epics, because Epics are trouble.

That said, there is no reason not to keep FluffyBunny's assassination- just remember that even minor Epics are not disposable, they are a limited resource, and killing them is a BIG deal for most people. The authorities WILL be down on you for this. Which makes things interesting- what made Marco want to murder Epics, with all the risks it entails? Who is paying him? Why would a gang do such a thing?

These are good narrative questions.

I'd also suggest not trying to kill Showstopper, at least not yet. She is super important to Salem. I think killing Fluffy is enough to get the authorities to notice you.

OK, any important vanillas that are extremely expendable? Like, everyone knows about him/her?

Marco does this stuff because he wants the money. It's mostly Epics, but whoever he gets paid for is who he'll kill. 

Marco is no freedom fighter like the Reckoners.

Edited by breakingamber

Mannila- An avarage vannila. (The offical archives of being totally serious(tOAoBTS))

Yuuuup. I like making up words sometimes when I get really into something, and Lyla seemed like that'd be the kind of thing she'd do.

(Between her manic outbursts, Lyla is becoming more Pinkie than Lyra... cupcakes, anyone?)

OK, any important vanillas that are extremely expendable? Like, everyone knows about him/her?

Marco does this stuff because he wants the money. It's mostly Epics, but whoever he gets paid for is who he'll kill. 

Marco is no freedom fighter like the Reckoners.

well not in-canon, you can always make one up though. Soulcaster certainly has human administrators, bureaucrats, security officers, accountants, that sort of thing, running the city. And gangs will have high-up members, since gangs run a lot of the non-arena areas.

Regalia sort of could, she just can't absorb all the information. But IIRC they were warned not to say certain things that might draw her attention which implies a passing awareness of what happens everywhere but she can only focus on one spot at a time.

How cute, Lucy still thinks she's in sane company. :P Although, Shiny approves of "photography" to raise morals. :ph34r:

On a side note, I started working on a character page for the tvtropes page... still very much a work in progress. :mellow:

Aside from Game the closest thing to a sane person in the clinic right now is Lord Dupin :P

Regalia sort of could, she just can't absorb all the information. But IIRC they were warned not to say certain things that might draw her attention which implies a passing awareness of what happens everywhere but she can only focus on one spot at a time.

oh yeah good point

Quiver, what if Sentry has a vague awareness of what happens in the posters, and she can focus on one or a few to get the full picture if she wants. So she is sub-consciously continually scanning for suspicious behaviour, and when she notices it she snaps to a full view out of it.

And perhaps if the posters are destroyed quickly and quietly enough without anyone in view (like from the side), she won't immediately notice the destruction?

she also has a lot less area to look out of than Regalia, who would have seen... basically the entirety of Babilar and the surrounding waters at once

And both of them don't seem quite sure what to make out of the situation. :P

I was attempting to subtly foreshadow that Lord Dupin just picked up on Scribblers anxiety and gave her a weapon. Because he is awesome.

Scribbler is just terrible at guessing peoples motivations, she tends to vary pretty extremely from assuming the absolute worst motivation to trying to be polite and assume people have good reasons for their actions. Which extreme she's at tends to fluctuate with her power usage.