2,838 posts in this topic

Uh... yeah. If he rampages in Salem, he's going to die.

He's a pretty powerful High Epic. Wish him good luck.

He'll probably have the record for the shortest-lived character, as the Timeport teleporting inside a guy never happened. Also, breaking amber, can you merge those two RP posts?

Well, actually, he did teleport into a little girl.

I messed up; that was supposed to be a compilation post with Vikro.

Edited by breakingamber

He's a pretty powerful High Epic. Wish him good luck.

Well, I mean, Quiver or someone noticed a few weeks ago that you had in Abaddon's profile the tidbit that his Incorporeality wasn't affected by Showstopper or Corpsemaker, which we had a little discussion about and then decided wasn't feasible. I don't know if you saw that or not. It isn't so much that we want him to be underpowered, it's just that one of the points of Salem is that no Epic is really above the authority of the city guard. The three of them together can pretty much kill any one Epic, no matter the powerset. It's an important part of the idea behind the city, which is that conflict is going to have to take place at a very small scale. It's not a huge, in-your-face sort of thing, like in Portland. That's a format that works pretty well with Abaddon, I think.

Actually, speaking of small-scale fighting, how about we introduce a sort of gangfighting element to Salem, to see if that livens it up? We can say that the actual, distributive arm of government in the city is very loose. Soulcaster just took the divisions that were already there and forced the leaders to accept new responsibilities. Basically, the gangs would have the people living in their territories produce simple goods in exchange for food from the countryside, which would have its own gangs. The gangs wouldn't fight overtly, they'd just intimidate and assassinate their rivals to try and accumulate people and territory, maybe have a little skirmish here and there. Nothing to attract attention.

Frankly I don't like the idea of the rampages- they would get him killed/expelled from Salem. And it is pretty canon that Epics are only a minor annoyance or a whim away from rampages anyway. He can be mostly nice and a staunch rule-follower while also being arrogant, callous and prone to violent murders of vanillas (maybe secret ones, to bent his rage away from the authorities?) without having a rending every few months.

Yeah, that might work. 

Can I write a Mafia gang leader that works with Abaddon?

Edited by breakingamber

So I've got a massive Azrael/Accord/Eternity (plus at least one viewpoint from a Gifted vanilla) post in the works (currently approaching ~2000 words). It's got pretty clear division points though; should I just finish it all up to Eternity's entrance into the city, (would be posted probably Tuesday night next week, and come in somewhere around 3000 words) or post sections as I complete them? (Probably be in four or five, seven to eight hundred word chunks over the next week or so.)

Well, actually, he did teleport into a little girl.

Correction: Timport teleported into a little girl's brother. That little girl, he told to "Run" and then she became a viewpoint character, who has only had like 3 viewpoints so far, but still. 

I like the idea of gangs in Salem, it would help develop the non-arena sections of the city.

Minor non-character-related Calamity spoilers

Much like the way Ildithia is run- lots of gangs/families looking after their own and sometimes fighting each other.

I like the idea of gangs in Salem, it would help develop the non-arena sections of the city.

Minor non-character-related Calamity spoilers

Much like the way Ildithia is run- lots of gangs/families looking after their own and sometimes fighting each other.

On my phone at work atm but I definitely agree. Gangs would be an awesome addition and provide more opportunities for permanent Salem Epics who aren't part of the official government.

Just got a chance to see the new developments in Salem. Please tell me Sentry has some sort of embarrassing ringtone. :ph34r:  

Edit: And finally, I have a Candyflame post up!  :D

Edited by RippleGylf

Well, I mean, Quiver or someone noticed a few weeks ago that you had in Abaddon's profile the tidbit that his Incorporeality wasn't affected by Showstopper or Corpsemaker, which we had a little discussion about and then decided wasn't feasible. I don't know if you saw that or not. It isn't so much that we want him to be underpowered, it's just that one of the points of Salem is that no Epic is really above the authority of the city guard. The three of them together can pretty much kill any one Epic, no matter the powerset. It's an important part of the idea behind the city, which is that conflict is going to have to take place at a very small scale. It's not a huge, in-your-face sort of thing, like in Portland. That's a format that works pretty well with Abaddon, I think.

Actually, speaking of small-scale fighting, how about we introduce a sort of gangfighting element to Salem, to see if that livens it up? We can say that the actual, distributive arm of government in the city is very loose. Soulcaster just took the divisions that were already there and forced the leaders to accept new responsibilities. Basically, the gangs would have the people living in their territories produce simple goods in exchange for food from the countryside, which would have its own gangs. The gangs wouldn't fight overtly, they'd just intimidate and assassinate their rivals to try and accumulate people and territory, maybe have a little skirmish here and there. Nothing to attract attention.

I really like this idea. A lot.

As I said, I'm kinda focusing more on Sentry as a Machiavelian, "Master Planner" type (or at least, that's how she'll present herself). Having some actual political elements to interact with would definitely help with that particular image.

Well nothing would get by her, and she could always control people by threatening to reveal whatever information she gains to Soulcaster or others. Like a blackmail network, keeping people in check on her own without needing to threaten force or rely on other Epics.

Oh, and I'll revise his profile pic.

Details about the gang leader I'm about to write? And/or the gangs in general?

So I've got a massive Azrael/Accord/Eternity (plus at least one viewpoint from a Gifted vanilla) post in the works (currently approaching ~2000 words). It's got pretty clear division points though; should I just finish it all up to Eternity's entrance into the city, (would be posted probably Tuesday night next week, and come in somewhere around 3000 words) or post sections as I complete them? (Probably be in four or five, seven to eight hundred word chunks over the next week or so.)

I'm fine with either but given how massive 3000 words is for a post, sectioning it a bit might not hurt.

Just got a chance to see the new developments in Salem. Please tell me Sentry has some sort of embarrassing ringtone. :ph34r:  

Edit: And finally, I have a Candyflame post up!  :D

Yay Candyflame. :lol:

OK, his profile has been revised. He's still a rather nice Epic for vanillas, but lawbreakers... be careful. He doesn't like to kill, but his pain power can lead to extremely effective punishments. And yes, he can kill with it. (Enough pain can kill a certain part of the brain, killing the person. Even if that isn't true, IT IS FOR HIM BE QUIET.)

Which brings me to another problem: Is Abaddon too OP? He can do this to Epics as well. Would killing Nighthound's brain kill him? If he wrecked Steelheart's brain, could that kill him? He probably couldn't heal reincarnators and self-healers, but most other PIs including force-fields, incorporeality, and/or impenetrable skin would be thwarted.

Thoughts? Do I need to revise Abaddon's powerset?

Also, we should have an official fan-word for "slontzey person slontzingly doing slontzey things".  :P

Edited by breakingamber

OK, his profile has been revised. He's still a rather nice Epic for vanillas, but lawbreakers... be careful. He doesn't like to kill, but his pain power can lead to extremely effective punishments. And yes, he can kill with it. (Enough pain can kill a certain part of the brain, killing the person. Even if that isn't true, IT IS FOR HIM BE QUIET.)

Which brings me to another problem: Is Abaddon too OP? He can do this to Epics as well. Would killing Nighthound's brain kill him? If he wrecked Steelheart's brain, could that kill him? He probably couldn't heal reincarnators and self-healers, but most other PIs including force-fields, incorporeality, and/or impenetrable skin would be thwarted.

You could always say he's effectifely electrocuting people.

Both Nighthound and Steelheart would be fine but yes, he is fairly strong. I don't have enough on a grasp on Salem to judge whether or not he manages to be OP, although given that Soulcaster can always just seal him, probably not.

You could always say he's effectifely electrocuting people.

Both Nighthound and Steelheart would be fine but yes, he is fairly strong. I don't have enough on a grasp on Salem to judge whether or not he manages to be OP, although given that Soulcaster can always just seal him, probably not.

Wasn't it specifically said that Steelheart had impenetrable skin? Not an impenetrable brain like Corsemaker. Anyway, it doesn't matter, he isn't in the RP.

Wasn't it specifically said that Steelheart had impenetrable skin? Not an impenetrable brain like Corsemaker. Anyway, it doesn't matter, he isn't in the RP.

Impnetrable skin is somewhat of a misnomer for general damage immunity. It is made perfectly clear that he is resistanr to all known sources of harm.

Impnetrable skin is somewhat of a misnomer for general damage immunity. It is made perfectly clear that he is resistanr to all known sources of harm.

Ohhh... He can still kill most High Epics. 

Is the jello thing Mouldbreaker's only power? Or does he have a PI?

I wonder what other problems we'll have.

Also, we should have an official fan-word for "slontzey person slontzingly doing slontzey things".  :P

What if his power works like this- he doesn't "cause pain" technically, he sends waves of pain-causing energy at enemies?

In effect, it is the same thing, but the fact that it needs to travel through a medium means that it can theoretically be blocked. And if the energy is visible and travels slowly enough, even dodged.

And perhaps limit the amount of pain he can cause quickly an easily, too

So he can't kill someone with pain on a whim, he needs to concentrate and hold the attack for some time, while the pain increases. Therefore, he can be defeated or distracted.

Also, Epic powers are, almost as a rule, less effective against other Epics, so whatever effect his powers have will be weaker on Epics.

Also, is he a High Epic? He probably doesn't need to be, if so. maybe just give him toughness or something if you want him to be durable without being explicitly invincible.

So, filtered through the mindset of Sentry...

Abaddon did the dumbest thing he could possibly have done.

(Which I'll explain via my next post IC, but the reasoning is laid out below)

So, as I've established, Sentry's abilities are related to her physical appearance. I admit, I'm kind of keeping it vague on whether being cruel to her about it -saying "You're fat!"- is the specific weakness, or if it's more a case of her vanity -  her thinking "I'm fat!" triggering it- but the point is her physical side and her powers are connected. Which is why she's freaking out over having pictures of her vandalised because, aside from obscuring her own vision-via-them, drawing things like teddy bears ("childish), mustaches ("hairy upper lip") and so on draw attention and insult her appearance...

Which she is interpreting as "Oh storms someone knows my weakness and they are taunting me with it."

...And right after that, she get's a call from a guy who just happened to breeze into town? And the first thing he does is catch the guy responsible for the vandalizing and is holding him captive? And Sentry can't look at them since, well, her powers are on the fritz right now...

Best case scenario: Abbadon is being genuine, and he has captured the guy who knows her weakness. In which case, he might have told Abaddon, and he now knows her weakness.

Worst case: the vandal is Abaddon, and she would be walking blind into a trap.

Congratulations. You have triggered a paranoiac breakdown of Salem's law and order! :P

...Incidently, to reiterate: this is dumb from Sentry's PoV. Because Sentry is someone who wants to scheme and take over Salem, and her confidence comes from being All-Seeing. She's a paranoid backstabber, so this is really a perfect storm of events working against him more than anything...

Edited by Quiver

What if his power works like this- he doesn't "cause pain" technically, he sends waves of pain-causing energy at enemies?

In effect, it is the same thing, but the fact that it needs to travel through a medium means that it can theoretically be blocked. And if the energy is visible and travels slowly enough, even dodged.

And perhaps limit the amount of pain he can cause quickly an easily, too

So he can't kill someone with pain on a whim, he needs to concentrate and hold the attack for some time, while the pain increases. Therefore, he can be defeated or distracted.

Also, Epic powers are, almost as a rule, less effective against other Epics, so whatever effect his powers have will be weaker on Epics.

Also, is he a High Epic? He probably doesn't need to be, if so. maybe just give him toughness or something if you want him to be durable without being explicitly invincible.

It's just that he doesn't kill with pain on a whim, not that he can't, although that idea is interesting.

How about this: The pain blast will travel at about the speed of sound, so it will be near instantaneous.

Super speed is one way to combat him. Then again, super speed can combat almost anything...

Gifting powers work not as well on other Epics. Actually using powers on other Epics doesn't damper them.

Incorporeality classifies you as a High Epic doesn't it? I like the idea of being unable to attack him.

Spoiler: Lyla is not a "cool kid".

Who cares about being cool when you got two Epic friends? :ph34r:

Gifting powers work not as well on other Epics. Actually using powers on other Epics doesn't damper them.

Neither does mind control. so not the largest data sample but it does send a precedent.

Who cares about being cool when you got two Epic friends? :ph34r:

Neither does mind control. so not the largest data sample but it does send a precedent.

In fairness, there is a lot of misinformation going on in the Reckoners books, isn't there? Heck, that's the entire point of David in the first one, sorting out the facts from the fiction...

And that's with humans, who have reasons to pool information. Among epics, who seem to be a more fractitious lot? I can buy them not actually knowing how others powers work, or being a lot more... edgy about them. 

Epics are understandably cagey about their weaknesses, but I figure they probably have similar feelings ofr disclosing what their powers can/can't do, too. So lying to make yourself sound tougher sounds... plausible.

In fairness, there is a lot of misinformation going on in the Reckoners books, isn't there? Heck, that's the entire point of David in the first one, sorting out the facts from the fiction...

And that's with humans, who have reasons to pool information. Among epics, who seem to be a more fractitious lot? I can buy them not actually knowing how others powers work, or being a lot more... edgy about them. 

Epics are understandably cagey about their weaknesses, but I figure they probably have similar feelings ofr disclosing what their powers can/can't do, too. So lying to make yourself sound tougher sounds... plausible.

If you're refering to the illusion comment, that bit comes directly from Brandon, so I doubt it's misinformation.

If you're refering to the illusion comment, that bit comes directly from Brandon, so I doubt it's misinformation.

Hm? Oh, no. I'm mostly referring to the fact that I can buy epics claiming to have powers they don't (or which exceed what powers can actually do), or vanilla's assuming epics really can break the rules since they might not know any better.