I think most Oregon characters would make any story better :P

The world I'm using is also somewhat suited to Epics since there's a few similar rules.

Need a romance? Enter Shiny!

Need a gamer? Add the Adventurer!

Need a funeral? Add Nighthound! :P

Need a romance stalker? Enter Shiny!

Need a sociopath? Add the Adventurer!

Need 200000 funerals? Add Nighthound! (He gets one for each time I kill him, no one turns up at any because they're busy partying)  :P

*fixed

Yeah. I've thought about that.

"You're gonna charge me for my three-egg omelette? Do you have any idea who I am?"

"I was just giving you a heads-up, mister Timeport. If you're strapping for cash, you can always just head a few streets over and slaughter some vanillas while you wait. You'll be working up an appetite and getting money to pay for your meal at the same time!"

Problem: the cashier is a vanilla. Timeport would kill him first. :wacko:

On Bloody Mary being Night's Sorrow, I like it, but it doesn't seem like she can cause the type of destruction that is necessary. She can kill a lot, but destroy?Edge?

Problem: the cashier is a vanilla. Timeport would kill him first. :wacko:

On Bloody Mary being Night's Sorrow, I like it, but it doesn't seem like she can cause the type of destruction that is necessary. She can kill a lot, but destroy?Edge?

For destruction she can allways just fall back to common explosives infinitely supplied by the Financier or dropping the MoNA on everything she feels like also I don't think I ever established how much cutting power her blood tendrils have.

Edited by Edgedancer

How do you guys come up with stuff?

Broad question, I know...but I find myself really stumped at how to post in the RPG. If nothing else, I keep worrying I'm doing it wrong...so ID like to know how you veterans get it right.

Broad question, I know...but I find myself really stumped at how to post in the RPG. If nothing else, I keep worrying I'm doing it wrong...so ID like to know how you veterans get it right.

3rd person omniscient only!  :P

And at some point, you have to interact with the other characters in the RPG. Don't keep your character in his/her own world (#Mobius!)

This is a personal thing, but try not to repeat what the other characters already said too much. I've seen dialogues that look like this:

Person said "A"

Person B heard Person A say "A" Person B said "B"

Person A heard Person B say "B" Person A said "C"

Person B heard Person A say "C" Person B fidgeted. Person B replied, "D"

etc.

I hate when that happens!

One way to think of it is as a writing prompt. 

Take the street fight. With every post from Kobold and Edge, I received a different prompt for my characters. Except instead of being broad ("Your character must overcome a challenge. Describe the challenge and what they do to overcome it. Are they successful?") those prompts were extremely narrow ("Your character, an exuberant matter manipulator, is being strangled by an extremely creepy Epic with enhanced strength. What does she do? And remember: She's kind of insane."). So I'd sit and think about it for a few minutes before writing the post, but I mostly thought of those posts in terms of "What would my character do in this situation?" 

I have a divine Noodle from The Great One connecting my brain to the infinite well of insanity. :mellow:

On a serious note, for the RP the first couple posts with a character tend to be the hardest. Then after a while the personality just sticks in your brain like an extra setting to filter everything through. At the beginning though, I try to focus on a few key points of the character, be it personality, habbits, hobbies or other quirks and seeing how they apply to the situation to make a construct for the focus of reactions and actions that give the character their own flavour and then fill out the gaps with what my gut tell me to, hopefully rounding the post into a person instead of a checklist.

That and a big leap of faith, because I'm actually a lot more headless than that post made it sound. :P

1. Third person omniscient stinks.

2. Remember, your characters don't have to actually interact with everyone else. Staying isolated in their own world works for Möbius, so it can work for you too!

3. Try to repeat other player's dialogue as often as possible. It lends nice continuity between posts and can give extra insight into the way your character reacts to the conversation.

4. The first few RP posts are the easiest, and then it gets way harder because you're constantly on the brink of cracking under the pressure of having a bazillion eyes on you and fans of your character and oh sweet Calamity if I ruin this post everyone's going to hate me and I just can't take it please make it stop I just wanted to write fanfiction...

Okay, so I'm being deliberately contrary. :P There's already a lot of great advice here, so I'll just say that posts never go as poorly as you think they will when you actually sit down and write. Getting posts out as quickly as they're needed is a greater virtue than obsessive quality control, and a virtue I still struggle to master.

(Any kind of omniscient writing style really doesn't sit right with me, though. It's best in my opinion to keep the narration centered entirely on what your character knows.)

Edited by Kobold King

1. Third person omniscient stinks.

2. Remember, your characters don't have to actually interact with everyone else. Staying isolated in their own world works for Möbius, so it can work for you too!

3. Try to repeat other player's dialogue as often as possible. It lends nice continuity between posts and can give extra insight into the way your character reacts to the conversation.

4. The first few RP posts are the easiest, and then it gets way harder because you're constantly on the brink of cracking under the pressure of having a bazillion eyes on you and fans of your character and oh sweet Calamity if I ruin this post everyone's going to hate me and I just can't take it please make it stop I just wanted to write fanfiction...

Did you write this just to make me look like an idiot?

I think that I figured out how to write the Shiny Sparsenal post, so there's some fresh new insanity waiting for you guys in WHOOC. ;)

In other news, I spent a large portion of today at a California State University. Naturally, I spent a fair amount of time searching for any professor who looks like "an unattractive blend between Harry Potter and Indiana Jones". I will find real-life Thomas Cardinal. :P

That was... really something in the grand tradition of this RP's "really something"s. :D

You may find him... but will you know what to do about him if you do? :ph34r:

Did you write this just to make me look like an idiot?

Of course not. Just being deliberately contrary. I don't even agree with everything I said in the numbered points. :P

When I say third person omniscient, I mean that you only focus on one character and reveal their emotions and thoughts. Nearly all the posts are third person omniscient.

No, "omniscient" refers to when the narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of all the characters in the scene. Most of the RP is written in a basic third person narrative, in which only a single character's viewpoint is portrayed at a time.

Of course not. Just being deliberately contrary. I don't even agree with everything I said in the numbered points. :P

No, "omniscient" refers to when the narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of all the characters in the scene. Most of the RP is written in a basic third person narrative, in which only a single character's viewpoint is portrayed at a time.

Look up the phrase third person omnicsient. 

Third Person Limited does not reveal thoughts and emotions, so it isn't ideal for the RP.

Also, the RP in general is third person omnicsient.

Look up the phrase third person omnicsient. 

Third Person Limited does not reveal thoughts and emotions, so it isn't ideal for the RP.

Also, the RP in general is third person omnicsient.

Nope. My experience in 3rd grade English says otherwise.  :P Third person Omniscient literally means creating the scene using the thoughts and emotions of every character involved as opposed to Limited, which only uses the perspective of a single character at a time. An official-looking site on the internet agrees with me, so it must be true.

Jokes. We joke on these Questions threads, and then occasionally someone will say "hey, that would actually be pretty neat," and it's used.

For destruction she can allways just fall back to common explosives infinitely supplied by the Financier or dropping the MoNA on everything she feels like also I don't think I ever established how much cutting power her blood tendrils have.

Wouldn't the tendrils basically have infinite cutting power? Same reason that Gateways in wheel of time do.

3rd person omniscient only!  :P

And at some point, you have to interact with the other characters in the RPG. Don't keep your character in his/her own world (#Mobius!)

This is a personal thing, but try not to repeat what the other characters already said too much. I've seen dialogues that look like this:

Person said "A"

Person B heard Person A say "A" Person B said "B"

Person A heard Person B say "B" Person A said "C"

Person B heard Person A say "C" Person B fidgeted. Person B replied, "D"

etc.

I hate when that happens!

On the repeating speeches thing, for my part at least it's just to maintain the flow, we often skip from one scene to another and back and it can be hard if you have to scroll back over several posts to see what a character is actually responding to. It's also sometimes to provide a new perspective on a scene that's already happened.

Well the Gateways in wheel of time are just holes in reality, so they are infinitely thin and thus infinitely sharp.

Mary's portals are made of blood, so the edges of the portals would be however thick the edges of the blood pool is.

I meant like the deathgates, so that anything inside the portal is sent somewhere and at the edge of the portal they're severed as some of it stays where it is.

Oh yeah, that's true. She could use them like that, theoretically.

And in tendril form (not sure if her powers work this way) she could make a thin tendril-shaped portal and thus cut anything easily, teleporting a thin slice of it somewhere and severing either side.

depends if she can make portals in any shape/size or just roughly circular ones on flat planes.

Edited by Blackhoof

Möbius is above your characters and regulary has tea with Calamity in her spacestation... and when I say regulary then I mean he never accepted her invitations. :P

Wouldn't the tendrils basically have infinite cutting power? Same reason that Gateways in wheel of time do.

On the repeating speeches thing, for my part at least it's just to maintain the flow, we often skip from one scene to another and back and it can be hard if you have to scroll back over several posts to see what a character is actually responding to. It's also sometimes to provide a new perspective on a scene that's already happened.

Well... I didn't get around reading the Wheel of Time yet, meaning I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. :ph34r:

Personally, I try to not so much repeat dialogue instead of recapping it from the chracters point of view but I agree on a general level.

Well in Wheel of Time there is this spell that can create portals called Gateways- basically rectangular holes in reality that instantly move you to another place in space if you go through them. A window in reality, sort of. The way they open is by a thin white line stretching horizontally/vertically and then widening to form the rectangle- anything that is in the way when this infinitely thin plane (and thus infinitely sharp) passes through them is cut to pieces.

And building on that- there is another spell that creates what the characters have termed "deathgates". Basically the same thing, but they rotate rapidly, opening and closing as they do so. And they move. So you get a solid line of body pats and chopped-up corpses, and pieces of body randomly teleported around the world.

So Voidus is suggesting that if Mary can do something similar with her portals, like make a tendril a portal and whip it through people to teleport just a slice of their body through it (leaving the rest of them behind) her tendrils can have unlimited cutting power.

Well in Wheel of Time there is this spell that can create portals called Gateways- basically rectangular holes in reality that instantly move you to another place in space if you go through them. A window in reality, sort of. The way they open is by a thin white line stretching horizontally/vertically and then widening to form the rectangle- anything that is in the way when this infinitely thin plane (and thus infinitely sharp) passes through them is cut to pieces.

And building on that- there is another spell that creates what the characters have termed "deathgates". Basically the same thing, but they rotate rapidly, opening and closing as they do so. And they move. So you get a solid line of body pats and chopped-up corpses, and pieces of body randomly teleported around the world.

So Voidus is suggesting that if Mary can do something similar with her portals, like make a tendril a portal and whip it through people to teleport just a slice of their body through it (leaving the rest of them behind) her tendrils can have unlimited cutting power.

Ah, I get it. Mary could make portals in the right shape for this trick but so far I had it that that she couldn't partially transport and cut off objects like that, because it would give the means to bypass a good numbers of PIs (primarily impenetrable skin, forcefields and intangibility) by affecting space instead of the Epics themselves. Of course, if we want to give her an power upgrade for the Night's Sorrow status, I could always retcon that in as another one of the powers she is keeping secret.