Which he's going to need. Otherwise, he should've been killed long ago. 

technically, he was/has been.

I'm sorry but your "explanation" of his power is thusly.

it was also thusly:

his enhanced intelligence acts sort of like a HUD connected to a super computer... and his brain.

it doesn't tell him what to do. It tells him what he wants to do.

Edited by WarriorMark16

Okay, then why hasn't he learned from his mistakes? Epics aren't incapable of learning, and this is actually part of what made Steelheart so dangerous.

the thing is, he uses his reincarnation powers as a weapon in and of itself. he would go in, attack people, get killed, come back kill more people and cause more destruction and maybe get killed again. he would repeat this process until there was nothing left to destroy. then he would calm down and move on.

they weren't mistakes. They were strategy.

edit: Okay maybe they were a really blunt strategy with lots of holes and possibilities, but it worked.

Edited by WarriorMark16

the thing is, he uses his reincarnation powers as a weapon in and of itself. he would go in, attack people, get killed, come back kill more people and cause more destruction and maybe get killed again. he would repeat this process until there was nothing left to destroy. then he would calm down and move on.

edit: Okay maybe they were a really blunt strategy with lots of holes and possibilities, but it worked.

I wouldn't call that a blunt strategy; I'd call it a terrible one. 

Translate it into real life: You get a dictator who, rather than bothering with things like cutting off the enemy's supplies, routing them into a bottleneck canyon and taking them out with ranged weapons, attempting to demoralize, capturing enemy soldiers and holding them as collateral, and all of the other strategies that worked so well they've become a part of military history, just throws millions and millions of soldiers at the enemy until more of his soldiers are left standing. It's such a terrible strategy that it doesn't even deserve to be called a strategy. Eventually, this dictator is going to run out of soldiers, or those he has are going to revolt. 

The same holds true here. Running in and destroying everything might work in the short run, and his resurrection might protect him from the consequences, but eventually, he is going to encounter a threat he can't just destroy. Or he's going to gain a following of enemies dedicated to taking him down. One way or another, this is not a good MO for a character you want to stick around. 

We know from first hand information (Firefight) that even for a resurection Epic, death is still a terrible traumatic experience, so I don't think any Epic would ever come close to actively weaponizing it.

We know from first hand information (Firefight) that even for a resurection Epic, death is still a terrible traumatic experience, so I don't think any Epic would ever come close to actively weaponizing it.

We have Epics in the RP that don't seem to find it particularly traumatic, like Timeport, but still. Calling this guy's MO of "destroy everything because you can't stop me" a strategy is like calling the Hulk a genius-level tactician.

We have Epics in the RP that don't seem to find it particularly traumatic, like Timeport, but still. Calling this guy's MO of "destroy everything because you can't stop me" a strategy is like calling the Hulk a genius-level tactician.

To be fair, Timeport is in his Rending, so applying psychology and ordinary behavior to him is kind of meaningless. Are there any other that take their own dead without caring at all?

that is technically still a strategy! :P

anyway, that is how he used to do it before he got betrayed by his group.

okay, we're getting off the topic. would that explain his Arrogant behavior to you guys?

To be fair, Timeport is in his Rending, so applying psychology and ordinary behavior to him is kind of meaningless. Are there any other that take their own dead without caring at all?

yes. his name is Antimatter. ;)

that is technically still a strategy! :P

anyway, that is how he used to do it before he got betrayed by his group.

okay, we're getting off the topic. would that explain his Arrogant behavior to you guys?

yes. his name is Antimatter. ;)

No. No, it wouldn't, because his arrogant behavior goes against his own best interests. Look at Steelheart's arrogance: He was the dictator of an entire city, set himself up as a god, and he still only killed a few dozen citizens at a time.

No. No, it wouldn't, because his arrogant behavior goes against his own best interests. Look at Steelheart's arrogance: He was the dictator of an entire city, set himself up as a god, and he still only killed a few dozen citizens at a time.

the definition of arrogance is having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. you say he cant destroy every problem that comes his way. well the problem with that is that he doesnt believe you.

also,

Translate it into real life: You get a dictator who, rather than bothering with things like cutting off the enemy's supplies, routing them into a bottleneck canyon and taking them out with ranged weapons, attempting to demoralize, capturing enemy soldiers and holding them as collateral, and all of the other strategies that worked so well they've become a part of military history, just throws millions and millions of soldiers at the enemy until more of his soldiers are left standing. It's such a terrible strategy that it doesn't even deserve to be called a strategy. Eventually, this dictator is going to run out of soldiers, or those he has are going to revolt. 

yes. but a person who can destroy buildings with a blast and a half would be darn hard to capture. at any moment if he were to be pinned down or trapped he could just blow himself up. 

maybe you could have a sniper placed near his point of reincarnation taking him out every five hours. eventually, one of the snipers will miss or hesitate, and he will choose another place to reincarnate.

and Harkness as well.

Okay, I think thats a little too convienient for me now... maybe it does bother Antimatter. sort of like an extreme (and I mean this in a more or less figurative way) hangover. you drink the alcohal (dies) and then the next day you feel the after effects.

the definition of arrogance is having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. you say he cant destroy every problem that comes his way. well the problem with that is that he doesnt believe you.

also,

yes. but a person who can destroy buildings with a blast and a half would be darn hard to capture. at any moment if he were to be pinned down or trapped he could just blow himself up.

maybe you could have a sniper placed near his point of reincarnation taking him out every five hours. eventually, one of the snipers will miss or hesitate, and he will choose another place to reincarnate.

and Harkness as well.

Okay, I think thats a little too convienient for me now... maybe it does bother Antimatter. sort of like an extreme (and I mean this in a more or less figurative way) hangover. you drink the alcohal (dies) and then the next day you feel the after effects.

Look, this character MO isn't going to work as is. Either he's going to be killed continually, or he's going to derail every thread he tries to join. I've given my reasons and I'm not going to repeat them, but I will repeat this: This MO will not work. Period.

Look, this character MO isn't going to work as is. Either he's going to be killed continually, or he's going to derail every thread he tries to join. I've given my reasons and I'm not going to repeat them, but I will repeat this: This MO will not work. Period.

Okay then.

the definition of arrogance is having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. you say he cant destroy every problem that comes his way. well the problem with that is that he doesnt believe you.

You know, fear is just as much at the core of Epic's personalities as arrogance, maybe even more so. Think about it, even Steelheart was paranoid and not above fear, so having anything cancel out a fear so primal and devasting as death just doesn't fit.

One thing (well a couple) to get the Stormeggedon and Antimatter discussion on track again. On Antimatter's MO, wheter or not he embraces his deaths is somewhat of a side topic. Fact is that Twi is right, any one Epic that tries to start destryoing a city (especially in Astoria) is doomed to be braught down, possibly after causing a good amount of destruction, by the sheer amount and variety of Epics oppsing him, so the only way to really get away with causing trouble is teaming up with other player/Epics or being very subtle/ellusive about it.

On Stormegeddon, the intelligence brings problems similair to precognition with it, as it can't properly be worked into the format and seeing how there's no hard limit on human mental capabilities it kind of needlesly takes an imressive quality away from the character, if anything. Now getting back on her motivations, having her recruiter running around makes sense but if there's to be another Epic associated with her running around we also need a motivation/reason for him to be in Oregon.

Does anyone have anything to add about Dwight before I post RP? Kobold in particular?

Not so much something to add and just being curios but does the trying to overthrow Vondra plot still stand or did that also go with the old character?

One thing (well a couple) to get the Stormeggedon and Antimatter discussion on track again. On Antimatter's MO, wheter or not he embraces his deaths is somewhat of a side topic. Fact is that Twi is right, any one Epic that tries to start destryoing a city (especially in Astoria) is doomed to be braught down, possibly after causing a good amount of destruction, by the sheer amount and variety of Epics oppsing him, so the only way to really get away with causing trouble is teaming up with other player/Epics or being very subtle/ellusive about it.

On Stormegeddon, the intelligence brings problems similair to precognition with it, as it can't properly be worked into the format and seeing how there's no hard limit on human mental capabilities it kind of needlesly takes an imressive quality away from the character, if anything. Now getting back on her motivations, having her recruiter running around makes sense but if there's to be another Epic associated with her running around we also need a motivation/reason for him to be in Oregon.

Not so much something to add and just being curios but does the trying to overthrow Vondra plot still stand or did that also go with the old character?

Yes, Dwight will arrive in The Dalles and realize he could run the city much better, at least in his eyes. Not wanting to submit to a tyrant Dwight will plot to overthrow Vondra.

he wont try to destroy Astoria. He doesn't do that anymore.

we'll work on what the other epics missions in Oregon might be. It could be that Stormeggedon is closer to Oregon than any other major source of influence in the world.

To be fair, a steely eyed mercenary muppet would hardly be out of place in this RP

An Epic with a power like that could exsist, so... who's calling dips? :ph34r:

(Wait, we aren't just auctioning off Little Homie, are we. That might be a problem. :mellow: )

Just to quickly chime in on the super-intelligence thing, the problem with writing any character with super intelligence is that it's impossible to do accurately unless you yourself are just as if not more intelligent, and I don't think I'm insulting anyone by saying I don't think any of us are on the level that's being described here where it's leagues beyond some of the brightest minds to ever exist.

Even Taravangian, who is the one character of Brandons that actually does have super intelligence, is only ever written about when he's of relatively normal intelligence, we only see the effects of that intelligence, we don't get an actual viewpoint or know what his real plans were. Because of course if one of his readers could find a flaw in that plan or his reasoning it instantly breaks the character.

I'm happy on things like faster processing speed, so they can bullet time or whatnot, or even better computational abilities so they can do maths in their head quickly or something but just general enhanced 'intelligence' is going to be pretty impossible, even moreso than a full on precog would be.

I'm happy on things like faster processing speed, so they can bullet time or whatnot, or even better computational abilities so they can do maths in their head quickly or something but just general enhanced 'intelligence' is going to be pretty impossible, even moreso than a full on precog would be.

Exactly. Thank you.

Aldo has enhanced mental capacity, but it only goes so far as calculating where a ball will wind up if he bounces it at a certain angle. Stormegeddon is a more Moriarty-like schemer, one that would be impossible in an RP where the writers themselves can't always calculate in advance what the characters are going to do.

Well, technically his Rending should have ended last night, so it's more that death for him is just so easy. He doesn't have to revive, he doesn't come in a burst of flame or an explosion, he just goes to a "peaceful" place with Calamity and then he's back in his fully healed body.