I'm concerned that Oracle is a bit overpowered with his super-speed/pyrokinesis combo. How can his foes even fight him?

@amber: haha Zombie sounds cool but breaches both Iconoclast and mostly Lightwards' established IP :P

Edited by Blackhoof

Haha a minor Epic from the Minor Epic Empire who could control threads.

He sewed bodies together and used the threads to move them, but he attacked Lightwards and got eaten by an allosaurus

Clearly wasn't that bright!

Probably should have stabbed part of Lightward's body with a needle and dangled him around for fun.

EDIT: OK, scratch the second part.

Edited by breakingamber

Shiny has out crazied Lyla.

This cannot be allowed to go unaddressed.

...oh, and Epics.

I haven't read Calamity yet, but is there any indication for criteria Calamity used to pick Epic's? Like, reasons why they might be more inclined towards corruption or whatever

Let me get this straight, a still half wet bikini clad Shiny Sparkle has your character, a young girl, mounted on the ground and you want to escalate the situation? I am so glad you joined. :lol:

3a5.jpg

His fire aura is active and he can shoot fireballs in bullet time but otherwise no. Also, here's a (quickly therefore badly) scene detailing his powers.

Oracle sped into town, looking around. He saw no one, but he saw a strange indent in the leaves beside him, as if someone was standing right there. Suddenly, a man appeared from out of think air and starting firing at Oracle. Time slowed down, and he saw the bullets moving towards him like a toothpick through clear jello. He incinerated each one and created a circle of flame around the man with the gun. The man slumped to the ground, defeated, and Oracle sent a good old fashioned fireball at his face. It almost connected, but the second before it did the man teleported away onto the top of the building. Oracle ran up the side of the building and saw the man slowly rising his gun. He stepped forward and shoved a fireball down his throat before the man even knew that his life was about to end. Now that that was taken care of, he rocketed off the building with a speed-enhanced jump and rocketed into the sky, shooting fire out of his hands. Time to go.

Alright, thanks for that. ;)

Two questions, given that his jump was apparently spped enhanced, how does the physics of the running affect him and was that incinerating the bullets bit supposed to be his PI or just normal flames?

I'm concerned that Oracle is a bit overpowered with his super-speed/pyrokinesis combo. How can his foes even fight him?

@amber: haha Zombie sounds cool but breaches both Iconoclast and mostly Lightwards' established IP :P

I can think of some powers to comabat him, although those would kill him almost intantly. Not the most optimal balance. :mellow:

Let me get this straight, a still half wet bikini clad Shiny Sparkle has your character, a young girl, mounted on the ground and you want to escalate the situation? I am so glad you joined. :lol:

3a5.jpg

Alright, thanks for that. ;)

Two questions, given that his jump was apparently spped enhanced, how does the physics of the running affect him and was that incinerating the bullets bit supposed to be his PI or just normal flames?

I can think of some powers to comabat him, although those would kill him almost intantly. Not the most optimal balance. :mellow:

@Edgedancer Ok, so the speed-enhanced jump was him going farther due to a higher starting velocity and the bullets could have been either but in this case he just likes to get rid of them in bullet time.

@Blackhoof He's weak to other superspeeders and the fire aura doesn't work on everything.

Edited by Master Elodin

@Blackhoof He's weak to other superspeeders and the fire aura doesn't work on everything.

You know, I'd say that if the only answer to the question "How could someone fight a power this strong (which in turn obviously means that it's fairly rare as well)?" you can think of on the spot it "Someone with the same powers." then that's usually a bad sign and not consolation. On another note, fire that's hot enough to vaporize bullets mid-flight and speed/reflexes to put said bullets to shame could probably deal with most problems on their own anyway.

Edited by Edgedancer

Clearly wasn't that bright!

Probably should have stabbed part of Lightward's body with a needle and dangled him around for fun.

EDIT: OK, scratch the second part.

Hey! He did his best. Lightwards broke supervillain protocol and killed him mid-monologue.

You know, I'd say that if the only answer to the question "How could someone fight a power this strong (which in turn obviously means that it's fairly rare as well)?" you can think of on the spot it "Someone with the same powers." then that's usually a bad sign and not consolation. On another note, fire that's hot enough to vaporize bullets mid-flight and speed/reflexes to put said bullets to shame could probably deal with most problems on their own anyway.

Well, explosive/poisonous gas works as well, he can't melt everything so a prison might work, but maybe I should remove the PI. Yeah, I'll remove the PI.

Finally finished my new character!

Name: Dwight Rawlings

Appearance: About 6’0, Short Gray hair mostly covered by a Beret, Cold blue eyes,  Wears his U.S  Army uniform and his trusty Beretta holstered on his hip.

Personality: Extremely level headed thanks to his service in the Army. He is very stubborn and has trouble admitting when he is wrong. He is very Tough, almost nothing can break him especially now that his family is gone. Killing is not a problem, it’s almost like second nature at this point in his life, Avoids epics as much as possible but has been known to take on lesser epics if necessary, he is also good at leading people as being a high ranking officer in the military teaches a person.

Skills: He is a very good shot with his trusty Beretta, and in his younger days with any other weapon though now he might be a bit rusty. He is also a good leader being a General helps with bossing people around and making sure they don't die, a degree in military strategy helps as well.

History: Dwight grew up in Baltimore, Maryland and upon graduating high school in the top of his class attended the United States Army Academy at West Point. After graduating from West Point with a degree in Military Strategy he served in: The Gulf War, The Iraq War and Afghanistan where he was awarded the purple heart from being shot. At the age of 47 Dwight was promoted to Brigadier General. He was charged with the oversight of the National Guard. After serving as general for 6 years he Retired, listing the politics of being a general as a reason. After Retiring Dwight Moved back to Baltimore and relaxed. After the first wave of Epic attacks he went to the National Guard post in Baltimore which was in Disarray and assumed command. He successfully defended the base and decided to search for survivors. With his extensive knowledge of the National Guard he decided to move across country stopping at every National Guard post and search for survivors. His trek brought him and his loyal followers, who did not leave him at the first sign of safety, to The Dalles.

Edited by DeathClutch19

Sounds brilliant Deathclutch! :)

Well, explosive/poisonous gas works as well, he can't melt everything so a prison might work, but maybe I should remove the PI. Yeah, I'll remove the PI.

I think perhaps make him unable to use his fire powers while super-speeding as well. He is still powerful, but a bit more balanced and fight-able.

Well it helps, but the trouble with someone who can not only move super-fast, but gains bullet-time awareness and can use powerful pyrokinesis while in this state, is that you can't really fight him.

You get into a fight with an Epic, for instance. You super-speed and fireball it in the face before it realises you had moved.

You get ambushed by 50 armed men. You super-speed around, burning each and every one of them before they realise you had moved.

You don't NEED a PI with such power. 

I'm just suggesting to tone it down a little, so he isn't quite so powerful.

Well it helps, but the trouble with someone who can not only move super-fast, but gains bullet-time awareness and can use powerful pyrokinesis while in this state, is that you can't really fight him.

You get into a fight with an Epic, for instance. You super-speed and fireball it in the face before it realises you had moved.

You get ambushed by 50 armed men. You super-speed around, burning each and every one of them before they realise you had moved.

You don't NEED a PI with such power. 

I'm just suggesting to tone it down a little, so he isn't quite so powerful.

To be fair that's true of a bunch of different powers. Laser based attacks for instance could technically kill people faster than he could. Being able to kill a large amount of people quickly isn't that unusual for an Epic.

How bout neither? He doesn't need a PI with his speed- he can dodge most attacks.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how powerful he is anyway. He isn't going to get killed out of hand by anyone.

And remember- this game is about collaborative story-telling, not competitive Epic-making. We want interesting and compelling characters, not just flashy and kick-butt powers, or badchull resumes. Your character should be as powerful as he needs to be for the story, and no stronger. Iconoclast is invincible because he needs to be for his function in Corvallis to work. Deathskull has a versatile ability because it makes her arena fights interesting. 

So answer the question- what function in what story is your character going to play? And what does he need to be able to do it? Is having a PI a necessary part of that? Would he be more or less interesting as a character with or without one?

I'm not attacking you, sorry if this comes across as rude or anything :) I know well the draw of making cool Epics, I just think we need to rein in all the PIs and super-powerful Epics that everyone always (understandably!) wants as their character. 

To be fair that's true of a bunch of different powers. Laser based attacks for instance could technically kill people faster than he could. Being able to kill a large amount of people quickly isn't that unusual for an Epic.

That's true, maybe I am being too harsh

Edited by Blackhoof

How bout neither? He doesn't need a PI with his speed- he can dodge most attacks.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how powerful he is anyway. He isn't going to get killed out of hand by anyone.

And remember- this game is about collaborative story-telling, not competitive Epic-making. We want interesting and compelling characters, not just flashy and kick-butt powers, or badchull resumes. Your character should be as powerful as he needs to be for the story, and no stronger. Iconoclast is invincible because he needs to be for his function in Corvallis to work. Deathskull has a versatile ability because it makes her arena fights interesting. 

So answer the question- what function in what story is your character going to play? And what does he need to be able to do it? Is having a PI a necessary part of that? Would he be more or less interesting as a character with or without one?

I'm not attacking you, sorry if this comes across as rude or anything :) I know well the draw of making cool Epics, I just think we need to rein in all the PIs and super-powerful Epics that everyone always (understandably!) wants as their character. 

That's true, maybe I am being too harsh

Yep. That's why I still feel like I should apologize for Metronome, my compulsion to make a cool strong Epic just took me too far and now he's just far too OP to handle.  :ph34r:  :P

And I broke balance by assuming an Epic would never become relevant. :mellow:
(On a side note I think I just contained a mobile induced downvote by hitting the upvote Button before it could process, I hope that worked, otherwise sorry, Blackhoof.)

Edit: Actually noticed that this miracle safe made Blackhoof a Spinner. :P

The problem with superspeed isn't actually the kill per second it's the reaction time, presicion and dodging capabilities that make it much stronger than most other powers. Sure a laser might be faster than a bullet but that means little for dodging bullets, if somebody got the jump on you.

Edited by Edgedancer