Obliteration's Identity

Wonko the Sane

So... Is Obliteration Jim Butcher or not? Because I have a hard time believing that Jim Butcher's reaction to super powers would be, "whelp, time to kill the world". Also, Obliteration's mannerisms and speech are totally unrelated to Butcher's. When reading Firefight, I was able to reconcile this, because I assumed that Obliteration was under the influence of the darkness, but as of Calamity, we know that he's had the darkness beaten for years.

Is he just a guy who happens to look like Jim Butcher, own a sword, and have a strong Catholic background?

Edited by Wonko the Sane

I'm not sure everybody here has read The Dresden Files or The Codex Alera. Even if they have they may not have looked into the writer himself (like me). Also, where was this revealed?

Edited by kenod

It was never high profile, but Obliteration's appearance, if nothing else, is definitely modeled after Jim Butcher.

Just based a villain's looks in an upcoming book on Jim Butcher. Shhh. Nobody tell him. I think he owns a sword.

(Source)

Months back I tweeted that I’d decided to use a certain fantasy novelist I know as a model for one of the primary villains in the sequel to Steelheart. (I did this very lovingly, I assure you.) I love how the profile turned out. You should check out the Wal-Mart exclusive edition of the book and see if you can guess who I pictured as Obliteration, the person who’s been destroying cities all across the Fractured States.

(Source)

And Obliteration from Firefight? That's Jim Butcher, if you were curious.

(Source)

I always took the sword and the religious motif as indicators that this guy didn't just look like Jim Butcher -- he was Jim Butcher, in Epic form. After Calamity, though, that sort of falls apart.

Edited by Wonko the Sane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...