I was going through the forums and looking at all of the theories about investiture, and was thinking about several things. First off, a ton of people(I feel) are getting the power of storing investiture wrong. I'm pretty sure it works(very basically) like this: Let's say you have a Twinborn, with F: Nicrosil, and A: Steel. He/She also has a Hemalurgic spike granting F: Aluminum. He/She decides that they are going to make one of those cool bracelet things that let others have their power. He/She Stores Aluminum, Then Stores Nicrosil into the Nicrosil part of the bracelet. That means that anyone who taps that(anyone can, apparently) Nicrosil will be granted the powers of F: Nicrosil and Aluminum, and A: Steel. Some people thought that Nicrosil gave any ability. Are they right?

On another topic, do you remember when Allik said that it was impossible to make a bracelet with 4 powers? Based on what I'm thinking, that is because they need to get Hemalurgic spikes that give them those powers, and that having four puts them under Harmony's influence. So, what would happen if you were to get 16 Allomancers and 16 Feruchemists together and gave them one bracelet each that gave them F: Nicrosil and Aluminum, then had each of them try to store into one Nicrosil bracelet? Since all of their power is unbranded, would it make something like the bands of mourning, or would it not allow them to put all of their powers into one Nicrosil bracelet?

I think that is essentially how it works. However, the problems with having four or more powers in one medallion is probably not caused by needing too many spikes. Just because you can be controlled by harmony doesn't mean you are controlled. Anyways, note that people can't use more than one medallion at the same time. In the airship, the southern scadrian (name escapes me atm) had to switch between the weight/heat and weight/connection medallions. Something about this method interferes with using more than 2 powers (+ Nicrosil).

On the other hand, apparently if the powers all came from one person it works (case in point the Bands).

I feel that it has to do with how many people were used to make the medallion. Perhaps, even "unlocked", the powers interfere with each other somehow.

Also, there is apparently an additional trick involved that makes nicrosilminds give their charge to non-soulbearers.

Here's a question...we are shown that when a feruchemist stores identity, and then stores a different trait, they create an "unkeyed" metalmind that can be used by anyone who is already able to use that specific feruchemical trait.  i.e. Wax holds an "unkeyed" goldmind and can't use it...but when he gives it to Wayne, Wayne can tap the health stored within.

So...Is a feruchemist creates and "unkeyed" goldmind, then an auger swallows some of it...can they compound the health stored within?

Here's a question...we are shown that when a feruchemist stores identity, and then stores a different trait, they create an "unkeyed" metalmind that can be used by anyone who is already able to use that specific feruchemical trait.  i.e. Wax holds an "unkeyed" goldmind and can't use it...but when he gives it to Wayne, Wayne can tap the health stored within.

So...Is a feruchemist creates and "unkeyed" goldmind, then an auger swallows some of it...can they compound the health stored within?

If i rememeber right a similar question, the answer is yes....I'm waiting The Lost Metal to see if they try to give a Medallion to Ranette as testing for a "Medallion-Compound".

PS: This is how I suppose the Firefathers and Firemothers work...To me they are Brass Misting or Brass Ferring among the Southerns... Who used the medallion with the other power to compound Heat for the whole comunity

Thanks for the answers, guys. I have another one, though. Since we know that you can store different senses in Tin, could you plausibly store certain abilities?

Magic abilities you'd need a nicromind, physical abilities you'd need to store your memories of doing so in a coppermind.

• 10 months later...
On 3/31/2016 at 7:03 AM, CthulhuSpren said:

Could Marsh store Steelsight in a Tinmind, unkeyed?

I'd argue not as Steelsight is the result of burning steel and not a natural sense however since it's the only way Marsh can see it might be different for him. I'd still say no though.

That is an interesting question about marsh and I would love to hear what sanderson says about that!  In the case of someone else using his unkeyed tinmind: I would argue that since ferchemy works by storing incrementally that they would receive a normal boost to their vision. Marsh would be storing vision (which might or might not affect him) then somebody else would come along and tap the vision trait stored with in. It's not storing His sight, just the strength of his sight 

Technical Heralurgy is not needed to make band.

A. Soul bearer fills a Nicrosil with the ability to use Nicrosil metal mind. 

B. N mind is given to True self who stores his identity, allowing him to tap N. Mind and transfer charge to unkeyed Metal mind.

C. Unkeyed is given to Metalborn who stores their investiture in yet another N metal mind.

D. The new Metal mind is given back to True self, and a medalion is created

51 minutes ago, Sheridan_rd said:

Technical Heralurgy is not needed to make band.

A. Soul bearer fills a Nicrosil with the ability to use Nicrosil metal mind. 

B. N mind is given to True self who stores his identity, allowing him to tap N. Mind and transfer charge to unkeyed Metal mind.

C. Unkeyed is given to Metalborn who stores their investiture in yet another N metal mind.

D. The new Metal mind is given back to True self, and a medalion is created

There's still another step which we isn't know the mechanics of which allows a metalborn who doesn't possess the ability to tap nicrosil to do so, the same way that Wax and the others are able to tap from it.

• Chaos locked this topic