A Joe in the Bush

Quick Fix Game 14: Corruption in the Senate

688 posts in this topic

Lopen. Should have left my vote on him last turn.

Lopen. Genius move. Well played.

This may come as a surprise, but no, I'm not Corrupt. I know I just got a confirmed village player lynched, but here's the story.

Alv was going for the "kill everyone but himself" plan. How do I know? He scanned me with a Ledger a couple Cycles back(as village), but then, right after that, someone used a Search Warrant on me. I confronted Alv about it, because I knew he had a Search Warrant and he was the only player who knew I had a Ledger, and he told me he had stolen it. He told me he was going for the one man win con and that he'd kill me with his Dagger if I didn't keep it a secret. He said he'd make sure I wasn't ever lynched though, because he knew I'd reveal him if I got arrested which is why he saved me 2 Cycles ago. Besides scanning me, he told he he'd scanned a Corrupt as well, but decided to keep it a secret, to make sure that the game didn't end before he could get the win con. So, I decided that if the opportunity ever came up, I'd try to lynch him, so that he'd get arrested, and would have no chance at the win con, so he'd reveal who he scanned as Corrupt. So hopefully Alv will tell us who he scanned now, if we can contact him. He should also reveal that I'm NOT Corrupt, but I don't know if you guys will listen to me and wait a Cycle to see.

Lopen, that makes a lovely story, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Alv had been going for the single win, but really? Why would Alv have told you that he'd scanned a corrupt player, for example?

Hmmm. This is very bad. I wish we'd had PMs right now.

So, far, I believe Stink, Orlok and Lopen are evil. 3 people out of twenty doesn't seem bad. But, that's not factoring in the team kill ability.

Switching your votes from Lopen would make you an almost confirmed corrupt in my opinion. So, it's tool ate to change your votes now.

Does going to jail strip you of your items?

EDIT: NL suspicions, Lopen? So far out, I'm sure you'd have a few suspicions, wouldn't you?

Edited by Mark IV

First off, I don't buy Lopen's story for a second. If anything it confirms my suspicions. What this means, however, is there are enough people on his team that him risking himself to get Alvron lynched was more beneficial for them than waiting. I don't know if I am as convinced as Mark is about the others guilt. It's possible that he is evil with Lopen and they planned to move those votes to make villagers look bad.

Going to jail does strip you of all your items. They all get confiscated by the Constables.

EDIT: Oh. Do we know who killed phattemer?

Edited by Amanuensis

When you get arrested, you lose all your items. When you just visit jail, you only lose access to the items for that turn.

*ghost noises at being mentioned*

Lopen, Mark, Orlok.

Turn 11: The greatest of these is Patience.

Patience was confidant in his appearance. Both clothing and body made him an inspiring figure. He looked old, but not decrepit. Experienced. A man who had seen and done things that had saved the city. A man who would do whatever necessary  to come out on top. From his cravat to his shoes, he was impeccable, despite not having any servants to help him since his bungled assassination.

Looks were important. They made dealing with others so much easier. So much easier to convince to vote against their own best interests. Easier to convince them to vote themselves to jail.

Every Senator in the room was weighing a bag of Boings in their hands, nervously waiting their part in the promised show. Of course, they had all been lied to. They all thought their vote wouldn’t do anything. They all thought that he, most powerful of them, would still be arrested. What fools they were.

There was a creak as someone sat in the chair behind him. He frowned and began to turn, but a hand on one side of his head stopped him. “Don’t. I want you to listen.”

He turned his back to face forward. “Listen to what?”

“I know what your plan is. I’ve seen the money change hands. Well guess what? I did the same thing.”

That, was not a good thing. “Oh? And you think I didn’t plan for that?”

“Doesn’t matter. I made sure that even if you did plan for it, it wouldn’t work. You’re going to jail for a long, long time Palpatine.”

Senator Palpatine closed his eyes and breathed slowly, furiously working angles, trying to figure out what was going to happen.

The doors opened, and Constable-General Heatherlocke walked in. He leaned back against the Governor’s desk and scowled, crossing his arms. “Alright then, what have you got for me? And make it quick.”

Senators Declan and Cicero stood, shooting each other looks. Cicero gestured for the other to begin, and after a gulp of air, Declan spoke. “We, and other members of this senate, believe that Senator Palpatine is the true murderer of the former Governor Machmuller.”

“Huh.” Heatherlocke looked to Palpatine. “And what do you say Palpy?”

Patience opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a whispered voice from behind. “Confess, or i’ll stab you here and now and save us all the trouble of listening to your lies.”

He hesitated, then stood, and began to walk slowly towards the desk. “It is said that man is born with seven sins to help us become strong, and taught seven virtues to keep them strong.”

There was a muttering from around the hall at the unexpected turn of his words.

“The first of the sins is Pride, for without pride, we would not care what happened to us. We need pride in order to grow. But if we let pride control us, we lose sight of our shared humanity, and believe ourselves to be gods over others. Thus, we are taught Humility, to understand that we can be beaten.” He turned, and gave a little bow to the senator who had been behind him.

“The second sin is Envy, for without Envy, we would not wish for more. We would be content with the little we were born with. Envy forces us to improve, gain more, become equal to our fellows. But if we become too envious, we destroy others in our quest to beat them. Thus, we are taught Kindness, to prevent the destruction of ourselves.” He smirked at Heatherlocke, who scowled back.

“The third sin is Greed, for without Greed, we would not understand the future. We would not prepare, only react. We would be unable to control our environment. Greed helps us understand the importance of storage, or preparation for disasters ahead. But Greed can lead to our downfall if we refuse to use what we have gained. Thus, we are taught Liberality.” He bowed again to Senator Declan.

“The fourth sin is Lust, for without Lust, well. I’m sure you can all guess what would happen without lust, or without Chastity to counter it’s extreme.” He looked around, then sighed at the lack of a good comparison.

“The Fifth sin is Sloth, for without sloth, we would never take time to truly see. We would not look back at the past failures and mistakes, nor would we we seek to understand what is happening now. But, Sloth can destroy a man as easily as save him, thus, we are taught Diligence.” He bowed to Senator Cicero.

“The Sixth sin is Gluttony, for without Gluttony, we would not have happiness. We would not wish to live. But when taken to an excess, Gluttony buries us alive, and makes robs us our free will. Thus, we are taught Abstinence.” He bowed again to Heatherlocke, who scowled and flipped him off.

“Just hurry up Palpy. Are you guilty or not?”

“The greatest of these seven sins is Anger. Anger, which forces us forward, makes us strive to improve, to destroy that which would hold us back. Anger, which makes us react and defend. Anger, which gives us life. Anger, which takes everything away, and destroys us.” He bowed again, to senator Sanderson

“We are taught Seven Virtues, to help us along the way. The greatest of these is Patience. The ability to put in motion a plan to counter Anger. The ability to predict what will happen.”

“I did not have enough patience. I did not correctly predict what happened when I murdered Governor Machmuller. But I have enough patience to understand what is coming. I will survive, and I will return.”

He held his hands out to Heatherlocke, wrists up. “I have paid the price for my lack of vision.”

Master Elodin was Killed!
Orlok was Elected Governor
TheMightyLopen was Patience! Corrupt Senator and Murderer of Machmuller!

Votes:
Lopen: 3 : Lopen, Orlok, Kynedath
Mark IV: 1 : Mark IV
Bugsby: 1 :Bugsby

Living/Unarrested Players Turn 11:

Governor:
Orlok - Cicero

Senators:
Kynedath - Declan Tynedell
IrulelikeSTINK - Rod Clintham  Me.
Bugsby6912 - Abban Prodestum
Mark IV - Miotes Monec

Escaped:
Amanuensis - Biorney Sanderson

Constables:
little’Wilson - Senior Constable Wilson
Haelbarde - Constable-General Rab ‘open to bribes’ Heatherlocke

Arrested players:

Senators:
ThatTinyStrawMan - Oromis
Adamair - Edris Calvert
Hellscythe - Ritt Momney
DeathClutch - Dyson Trump
Elbereth - Elentari
Mailliw - Liram
Alvron - Alron
TheMightyLopen - Senator Palpatine

Constables of the Law:
The Only Joe - Constable-General Yosef

Dead Players:

Metacognition - Governor Machmuller
Ripplgylf - Chantelle Lepinceau
Curious Anamaximder - Naxia Venturus
Silverblade - Worge Gashington
Phattamer - Rodent Optimus
Firemuffin - Michael Flop
LUNA - Luna Arryn
Clanky - Vupreme Sermin
Wonko the Sane - Dr. Nowko Lestibournes
Master Elodin - Alexandra Rotec

Edited by Alvron

*slowly claps*

Well played eliminators, this game has been fun. I don't think there's any way we can win now, is there? You're free to inform us, of course.

So, if I'm right, it is Orlok, Stink and lopen, correct?

Sadly (Not really), one of you died.

Aman, use it wisely. Sorry if I inconvenienced you.

I know there's no point in putting a vote on someone, but one can always try.

EDIT: wonderful writeup Joe. Loved it a lot.

Edited by Mark IV

Hey guys, now that the Drugs are no longer in effect and I can talk, I'm here to tell you that I also now have a Ledger, so if whoever scanned me could proclaim my innocence, then that would just be great.

Orlok. 

Yeah, he posted at the same time as Lopen in what seemed to be a co-ordinated strike. Mind telling us why you both voted for different people though? And why on Earth you decided to wake up at like 5:50 AM to do it? :P

EDIT: Oh yeah Mark, you're wrong. We can still win this.

Edited by IrulelikeSTINK

5:45am, actually, Stink - I didn't want to sleep through it! :P

So I guess now we see who can bribe the most amount of people? 

EVERYONE! BRIBE EVERYONE ELSE TO VOTE FOR ORLOK. IF WE CAN INSTIGATE A TIE, WE COULD ELIMINATE HIM.

And, Stink, I definitely believe you and your team have a chance to win. I'm just not sure about mine.

I believe they tried to cause a tie between the votees. But, that was stopped by our vigilante. (The one mentioned in the writeup).

So, who scanned stink? Stink, I'd rather you scanned me with the ledger. That would confirm a lot.

Bugsby, could you please make a post. We need you right now.

So Mark, if you think that my team has a chance to win, and that yours doesn't. Does that make you evil? 

I mean jeez, you'd think me being drugged after posting something that would've killed an eliminator and given us a better start on beating the eliminators rather than thinking everything was fine would get rid of the suspicion on me. But oh well.

Also, love the tags Joe. 

I don't know if I want to scan Mark. 

Bugsby, could you please make a post. We need you right now.

It's actually just bugsy. They even got it wrong in the lists at the top of the page. 

Or STINK, we could just be more suspicious of you because you didn't die because of that.

Edited by Kynedath

All the daggers seem to be gone, so the eliminators can only use the Lynch. Why do you think they elected Orlok?

I don't know why I wasn't killed, but I'll take it as the opposite of a complaint about how good I am :P

Edit: we must be doing something right as well if we're getting loads of upvotes.

Edited by IrulelikeSTINK

I scanned STINK with a ledger I bought, he's clean

Orlok

Edited by Bugsy6912

'STINK is clean'

Man, that is confusing.

Gentlemen of the Senate;

This infighting has lasted for too long, and has destabilised Elendel in an irresponsible manner.

Today, that infighting ends. Using the executive powers granted to me by my governorship, and in order to correct the national emergency our city faces, I hereby declare that I shall become Dictator for Life.

Elendel stands on the brink of collapse. Only a strong, stable government can rectify the damage done by our forefathers - careless in their desire for power and wealth.

In my capacity as Dictator, I shall be passing the following laws with immediate effect:

1) There will be established a commission with the duty of overseeing immediate and far-reaching land redistribution, and universal debt relief. The concentration of capital in our economy, and near servitude our people live acts as a rot in our society, and prevents the free market acting to deliver efficiency, innovation, and most importantly growth.

Debt relief and land redistribution will deliver a vast increase in entrepreneurship, and set our economy on the right path once again.

2) There will be dramatic cuts in corporation tax, and large scale tax relief afforded start-up companies. Small businesses are the engine of our economy, and we have a national duty to afford them every aid and protection we can.

This wave of new enterprises, and cost cutting for all business will dramatically drive up demand for labour - increasing real wages, and creating employment.

3) The hereditary Senate shall be abolished. Too long have the entrenched few governed the city in their narrow interests, with no concern for the needs of society. Representatives must be elected by the people, for the people, and a parliament will be created to ensure representation for all branches of society.

4) Concessions will be granted to the outlying cities, along with representation in the new parliament. We are one nation, and are more prosperous together than divided.

5) An Elendel Defence Force shall be established, to guarantee the safety of our citizens in these troubled times, and ensure that order is maintained during the transitionary period.

Following my coronation as Emperor of the Elendel Basin, the state shall provide free beer and wine to all citizens for a month. They have lived in persecution for too long, and this is to be a time of celebration.

I look forward to your full cooperation.

TLDR: Orlok wants to rule the world and make people too drunk to complain.