Owls and Wands: A Hogwarts Roleplay

The Honor Spren

"So, Slytherins are the bad guys, Gryffindors are the good guys... Judging by Serena here, Ravens are the ones who know too much. What about Hufflepuff? Anything interesting about them?"

Victor's tone was light, his intent to joke clear, but Shannon had to fight to keep her smile in place. When she became the first Muggleborn Slytherin in a hundred years, Shannon's more welcoming Housemates had wasted no time in educating her about the rivalry between their House and Potter's. 

"He took our victory! We'd won ​that House Cup, fair and square, and Dumbledore tossed out just enough last-minute points to put Gryffindor in the lead! Changed the banners and everything!" 

"Oh, those Gryffindors'll tell you all about how almost every Death Eater was from Slytherin, but they're not going to admit it's their fault. You treat a quarter of the school like something you stepped in, we're not going to lie down and take it." 

"Potter, yes. Saved Malfoy's life, he did. Not that he could be bothered to actually help beyond that. But you'll hear all about how he saved his enemy's life, as if delivering him back into You-Know-Who's hands was merciful. Not saying Potter should've killed him, but he's no hero for what he did." 

"We did not all join You-Know-Who at the Battle of Hogwarts. That is Gryffindor propaganda and if you hear it again, tell me who said it. I want names." 

We. None of Shannon's Housemates had been alive when You-Know-Who reigned, but that was how they spoke of the Slytherins who had. There was no they. Only us. A wrong against one Slytherin was a wrong against all Slytherins, and Gryffindors were responsible for most of them. 

Shannon hadn't met too many Gryffindors, but the ones she had met seemed friendly, if a bit intense sometimes. Still. She'd have to correct Victor's view of the different Houses before too long. Maybe if he did join Slytherin, she could give him a quick rundown of things that simply weren't true. 

"They guard the kitchens," she said, pushing her indignation aside. Now wasn't the time for it. Now was the time for jokes. "Of course, they're all so nice that they'll show you how to get in if you ask, but if you're rude they'll all pretend to forget." 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"So, Slytherins are the bad guys, Gryffindors are the good guys... Judging by Serena here, Ravens are the ones who know too much. What about Hufflepuff? Anything interesting about them?"

Victors tone was joking but Serena still frowned slightly.

There's no such thing as knowing too much. She responded mentally, feeling it would be too rude to say such out loud.

​Shannon responded with another joke, though Serena was sure she was equally offended by having her house referred to as the 'bad guys'.

She wasn't a bad sort this Shannon, far less stuck-up than a lot of Slytherins Serena knew. And while she'd rolled her eyes when Serena had started lecturing she had pressed for more information, even if it was only the part that she considered interesting. But then, Serena had been forced to read those god-awful books her distant relative had written and if she'd had the courage she certainly would have asked to skip over much of the story.

Well she'd done all of the studying she needed to do over the holidays, she could spare the time the train took to talk more.

Opening her bag, Serena stowed her book away inside of it before sitting back down and rejoining the conversation.

"Well of course the houses are about much more than just what the most famous people did. I mean everyone says that Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore were Gryffindors and therefore all Gryffindors are great and champions of justice and whatever but no one mentions the ones who blew up half the school with fireworks and then one floor into a swamp." Serena ranted, face showing more expression than it had even when describing the battle of Hogwarts.
"Right in the middle of exams too! No consideration for anyone who isn't their best buddy. And then people talk about Ravenclaw like we're all the same person, a bookworm who likes learning stuff but they don't mention the ones whose curiosity isn't purely academic, or who we are outside of school."

It was a particular peeve of Serena's because she was in many ways the ideal Ravenclaw. She loved reading and learning, got excellent grades and not many people knew anything more about her. But she was more than just a Ravenclaw, people acted like the reason she got good grades was just because of the house she was in, not because she spent hours every day going over notes.

As though the Sorting hat just magically made me smarter or something. She scoffed.

Ming breathed in and out. Today was the day that he was going to embark on his journey to knowledge, and boy, was he excited. However, if he was to come back to London's Chinatown in seven years in triumph, he must work for it. And that included studying muggle studies such as arithmetic, biology, and extensive history from both magical and muggle points of view, but also studying magic as well. However, that didn't mean that he didn't have to stick with conventional methods of study. Ming and reached into his book bag to get his cards, but felt a familiar touch on his arm, trying to climb up it. Ming leaned down and whispered to his pet bowtruckle, Hib, "Stay down. I'm not allowed to bring you to Hogwarts, so you could get me in trouble if you climb out of the bag until the train stops and I can hide you in my room." Hib reluctantly drew away and let him through. Ming pulled out his cards and soon, a perfect model of Hogwarts and the surrounding area during the Battle of Hogwarts was arranged around the compartment, partly to help him study, partly to keep intruders from interrupting his sanctuary of peace and quiet, which was just the way he liked it. Also, it kept him from worrying about technology in Hogwarts. Although he knew that technology was now a part of life for many people, Ming found himself unwilling accept it. As he understood it, technology was fickle, and could be easily tampered with. However, magic, he could comprehend. Magic was always reliable and always there. 

Edited by cloudjumper

"And then people talk about Ravenclaw like we're all the same person, a bookworm who likes learning stuff but they don't mention the ones whose curiosity isn't purely academic, or who we are outside of school." Serena complained.

"And who are you outside of school?" Victor asked genuinely interested, he was eager to know more about how life after classes and outside of Hogwart looks like for it's students. "I've wondered what do you do in your free time in a boarding school in the middle of nowhere. Are we even allowed to leave the school premises?"

Victor worried that school rules may be too restricting for his taste. He was used to his Muggle school, where after classes he was free to do whatever he wanted, go wherever he wished, before coming home. He didn't have problems with rules in general, they usually were reasonable and he could see the reasons behind them. However, if the rules were stupid and in conflict with what he believed was right, then too bad for the rules... Unfortunately, he had a feeling, that he'll find some of the rules in Hogwart unacceptable.

"Yeah, come on in." Lorelei added. She leaned over to see Gregory's book. "What are you reading? What is the use of books without pictures or conversations?"

Pleased with her book reference, she turned back to "What's your name? I'm Lorelei, by the way."

~∮~

Paloma followed Michael into the empty compartment. She didn't get how he found it. All the rest were packed.

She frowned. Why didn't he say anything? He wasn't even looking at her, but staring out the window. What was up with him lately? He didn't used to be like this. In their first year, he was the loud one.

Paloma scootched closer to him, put her earbuds in, then started looking for that video he'd recommended to her. If he wanted to stay silent, she could deal with it.

David had kind of spaced out as the train began to pull away. He didn't really think about anything, just enjoying watching the scenery roll by. Then, he heard a voice out in the door, talking to him in a heavy- was that Scottish?- accent. He turned around, seeing a

"Oh, what? Uh..." He sighed. Great. Now I sound stupid. "Sure, you can sit here. You're a... sixth year, right?"

Victor sure did enjoy his questions; though in fairness, Shannon reckoned she had asked at least as many during her first trip on the Express. She wasn't sure how to answer "Who are you outside of school?" and it might have been intended for Serena anyway, so she tackled the second. 

"No, not usually. We'll go on visits to Hogsmeade—that's a wizard village not too far away, we can walk. Usually, we'll spend our free time in our common rooms doing homework or….you know, not." 

You still don't know what House he'll be in, she chided herself. Don't go spilling House secrets in front of the Ravenclaw.  

"We've—er—also started visiting each other's Houses sometimes. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it was never allowed for nearly a thousand years, so it's actually a big deal. Just don't ask the Gryffindors why they have to climb so many stairs to get to their House. They don't know, and some of them don't like the question? I don't know why. I mean, there's nothing offensive about stairs, for Merlin's sake." 

Unless Alton and the others actually teach the talking stair how to curse….but who knows. 

Serena mulled the question over in her mind, it wasn't the type of question she was used to from teachers or practise exercises. Not something that she could answer by referring to a book.

Who was Serena outside of school?

"Outside of school? I guess I'm still what you might call a nerd. But I'd say I'm an adventurer and a pioneer. But above all, I'm just a curious witch who wants to know the answer to everything." She answered as honestly as she could. "Oh and my favourite ice cream flavour is chocolate." She added for good measure.

As Michael was watching the countryside roll by, he was becoming increasingly bored. Since their initial conversation, Paloma had become increasingly quiet. As a solution, he pulled out his laptop and started playing Skyrim. If she didn't want to talk, that was fine. He had alternatives he could use until she was ready.

"Woah, sixth year?" Jarrad exclaimed, eyes going wide in admiration before he reigned his emotions in again.

"Uh, cool I guess. So you've been here a while, that must have been cool." He said as he leaned back into his seat nonchalantly again.

Nice save. But I need to make a good impression here, he's a sixth year so he'll be hard to impress.

"Ugh, the suns so bright out today." He said quickly, before noticing that it was actually slightly overcast now.

Jinx it! Always check before you say it! Half-vampires check the weather first!

He pulled a red lollipop out of his trunk to save himself from having to talk anymore, he'd tried an actual blood-pop once and it was disgusting but he'd found a brand that looked similar while still just tasting of strawberry instead.

When Heather took her final walk up and down the train, she couldn't help but poke her head into a compartment with a lonely-looking boy inside. Of course, he could just be thinking and enjoying solitude, as her family members were constantly reminding her, but she couldn't fathom how one could truly enjoy spending the entire ride to Hogwarts looking out the window. The countryside was gorgeous, but didn't that make it even better to share?

"Hi, I'm Heather! Mind if I pop in for a minute?" she said, consciously holding back. "What's your name?"

Couple hours later...

Victor jumped down from the train car onto the platform in Hogsmeade, holding Mefisto in his hands to not lose him. The trip was quite long and he was excited that he'll be finally doing something different from sitting and talking. He has learnt a lot about Hogwarts from both girls, as they kept talking almost all the time, with only two breaks. One to get some food and the other to change into school robes. That was an awkward moment. They had to ask him to leave the compartment, because he had no idea that students are supposed to change inside the train, before they get to school. He ended up changing in one of the toilets, wondering how much in demand are invisibility cloaks and other disguising magic items, in a coeducational school full of teenagers.

He felt weird wearing a robe. Back in Poland, when he was still attending a normal Muggle school, he could wear anything he liked, no stupid uniforms were required. The concept of wearing clothes picked by someone else, was first thing he knew he'd hate about this school. The view of all the kids looking almost the same was getting on his nerves. Fortunately, it also had good sides. With everyone looking so similar, it's easier to avoid being recognized in some situations...

""Firs' years! Firs' years over here!", a voice boomed over the crowd of young wizards, reminding Victor that he was supposed to join the new students and enter the school with them. Feeling a little embarrassed he walked toward the huge man towering over the crowd of little kids gathering around him. After closer inspection Victor concluded that this couldn't be a normal human, wizard or not. There had to be some giant blood in this man's veins.

The big man shouted something Victor didn't quite understand, but when he started to walk and the kids around followed, he figured that he should go too. They went down from the platform and soon reached a narrow, dark path leading down. Couple of students took out their phones and turned on their flashlight apps, while Victor simply took out his wand and lit it up. Some kids around him seemed relieved to have a more stable and brighter source of light near them, while others looked at him with envy...

As Ming got off of the train, he thought about what he would do at Hogwarts. Heather, which was the name of the girl who sat with him in the car, had told him many things about Hogwarts and given him lots of helpful advice. Apparently, he was supposed to look for a large hairy man. Ming looked around, and saw a towering giant leading a group of first years away from the crowd. He hurried after them, and was led into a small boat with several other first years. After everyone was in, the boat moved of it's own accord down to the lake, and as it slowly drifted towards the castle, Ming gaped in astonishment at the wondrous view that lay before him. Atop a hill was a majestic castle, with beautiful towers and arches. So this was Hogwarts. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw several students holding up cameras and phones to take pictures, and he sighed inwardly. Didn't they have any sense of style? Of course, these days, beautiful scenery was always ruined by flashing cameras and glowing screens. Ming had never gotten used to it.

"Now if we move squads one and two here, we can direct the doxies to the Armory and the suits of armor can finish them off. And that, friends, is how we trap the doxies", said Dibb, one of the house elf elders as he moved a wood block on the map in the middle of the council chamber. The others, standing in a circle surrounding the map, nodded and stroked their chins.

"Why do we not just create a mist that kills off the doxies?", asked Ambie, a young, fresh-looking house elf. Dibb vaguely recalled Ambie being influential in the ranks of the Helm, a group of house elves that believed in keeping separate from the ways of their masters in all things, believing that they as house elves should be able to make their own decisions on how the castle should be maintained, instead of relying on humans to dictate how things should be. Dibb, on the other hand, was part of the Loyalists, those who believed that their masters should have their absolute obedience.

"The students will be coming in less than thirty minutes. Dibb does not think that a toxic gas will be good for them, no?", Dibb replied. Ambie glared at the ground, obviously displeased at looking bad in front of the elders. However, it seemed like the rest of the elders agreed for the most part, so Dibb turned to a elderly house elf on a chair sitting outside of the circle.

"Chairelf?", he asked, bowing low. The aged elf stayed silent for a few seconds, then finally spoke.

"No veto. This meeting is closed." And so the elves departed, each gathering a group of house elves behind them as they prepared for victory.

Edited by cloudjumper
It hurt my eyes

Drakus Blod looked out at the scurrying elves as they herded a small group of flying blue creatures through the corridors.

"Oy uglies! Whas iss youse doin with de little fairies" He slurred out.
"Yeah de fairies is fur de trees at chrismas, issnot chrismas yet is it?" His companion, Wiliam Kinslayer agreed.

The houselves ignored the pair and continued about their task, they were subservient to the living residents of the castle but evidently portraits didn't count in that group.

"UNgrateful lot they is." Drakus mumbled as the pair stumbled past a group of nuns and then ran through the portrait of a field of lowers in the middle of being pollinated by bees.

"Yeah yeah, ungraceful fer sure." William said, half paying attention. "You reckon there's any more of that mead left on the um... where was the mead again?"

The two continued their excessively loud conversation as they headed back to their original portraits, holidays were over after all and the last time they'd caused trouble at the opening feast they'd been stuffed into storage for a week.

• 2 weeks later...

They finally reached their destination. A little harbour with many small boats floating on a pitch black waters of a huge lake. On the other side of it, they could all see tall towers of Hogwarts castle. Victor quickly took out his digital camera to capture the scenery. He was much taller than other students around him and had no problem with anyone obscuring the view. The picture didn't come out as nice as he hoped, but it was still a nice souvenir.

After few shouts from their guide, which Victor didn't understand, kids around him started to board the boats. Soon, everyone found a sit. Only one boat was left for him, he sat down in it, happy to be alone, able to contemplate the scenery. The tiny fleet moved together, guided by magical forces in the direction of Hogwarts.

After couple of minutes on the lake they docked in an underground harbor. Almost half of the students were chattering teeth, the wind on the lake was strong and cold. They were then lead straight to the castle, through the main gate.

Inside the school, they were met by professor Reynolds. He took them to a small room and waited for everyone to settle down and pay attention.

"Welcome to Hogwarts!" he greeted them. "I'm sure you must all be really cold and hungry after your trip here, but before you'll join the feast, you have to pass the sorting ceremony. I could bore you with a monologue about our Houses, but I'm not that cruel. All you need to know, is that there are four Houses in Hogwarts. Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Gryffindor. They all have their good and bad sides, none if better than the other. Great and powerful wizards came from all four of them. Good and evil witches graduated from all four of them. There is also a competition running the entire year, where you gather and lose points for your house. You'll figure out the rest with the help of your new housemates."

He made a short pause to let everyone process what he said, and continued.

"The sorting ceremony is quite simple. Once I read your name, you sit on the stool in front of everybody, I place the hat on your head, it picks a house for you and done! You go to sit with other members of your new House. Now, let's begin!" 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the incredibly long wait for this, everyone. Finally, we can get this up and running again. I'm going to post the Sorting Hat scene this time tomorrow, at the latest, so if you want to post anything before that moment (conversation at the house tables, anticipation for the waiting first years, etc., now's your chance.

Gregory climbed off the train, leaving everything behind. His suitcase apparently, would be taken along seperately. He followed a cry of “First years! First years over here!”, leading in a direction towards a gigantic, brutish looking teacher. He hung back from the crowd, all squashed together (what was the point of hamming yourselves in like canned tuna?) and followed them off the platform. As they marched on, boots trudging through the mud, Gregory looked around. There was no sign of Eleanor, Lizzie, or Lorelei, but of course there wouldn’t be. Gregory smiled. At least something good would come from all of this.

As the crowd ahead of him turned the corner, they began to gasp and point. Gregory rolled his eyes. They probably saw a kitten or something. Gregory never saw the point in all of this ooohhing and aaahhing. What was the point? At the end of the day, cuteness was irrelevant, Cuteness would never change the world.

Then Gregory round the corner. Despite himself, he had to feel a grudging respect for the view of the great big hulking castle ahead of him, silhouetted by the moon. He’d read up on Hogwarts before he’d arrived, but somehow the view couldn’t be captured fully in photos or words.

“Listen up” came the gruff voice from the front. “First years go across by boat. Four to a boat. Hurry up now. Don’t want to be late for your own sorting.” Gregory jerked back into the present moment, watching people streaming towards the boats with their new companions. Gregory hung back, looking for an unoccupied boat. Eventually, he saw one, and clambered into it, and slowly clambered onto it, trying not to rock the boat too much. Slowly, many of the boats began to drift out onto the lake, lights attached to the front of the boats illuminating the lake in a stunningly beautiful scene.

“Wait!” Gregory shifted in his seat. Behind him, he saw those three, rushing up the path waving their arms. “Wait for us!”

The bearded man quickly muttered a curse. Quickly, he pointed his umbrella at Gregory’s boat and muttered a quick spell, sending it to a stuttering halt just off the dock. “You three! In there, quickly!”

The three waved in thanks, then turned towards the boat.

And saw Gregory.

There was a moment’s pause. “Well, best be off” said the teacher, climbing into a boat of his own and heading out into the lake. Slowly, the three girls walked down to the boat, watching Gregory as though they thought he might turn into a serpent at a moment’s notice. Gregory watched back. How did they -? Why -?

“You’re late enough.” Gregory made sure his voice remained neutral, not giving anything away.

Lorelei stared at him for a moment. “There was a delay.” She replied, in the same wary tone. Why doesn’t she just accuse me outright? She’s got nothing to lose, surely…

“You’re here now, anyway” Gregory continued. “Best get in. Everyone else is halfway across the lake already.”

Slowly, the girls clambered into the boat. Once they were all settled, the boat began to stream after the others. Nobody spoke. At one point, Gregory thought he saw something massive… shift under the lake, and by the sudden stiffness of the others in the boat, they probably did too. Still, nobody spoke. As the fleet in front of them began to enter the cavern, slowly cutting out all the light except from their own thin, pale beam on the front of their boat, nobody spoke. Gregory stared at the others, and the others stared at Gregory. Finally, their boat drifted into the cavern, joining it’s place on the dock. Quickly, the four of them got off the boat, joining the others waiting there, anxiously whispering about what was going to happen. Gregory chose a spot, far away from both the crowd and the group of girls, and waited. Slowly, the crowd began to follow the giant bearded man, up a series of stairs and winding passageways. Gregory tried to remember the path they took, but he soon gave up. Up one staircase, turn left, through a painting that was hurling abuse about house-elves, take another staircase to the left that turned to the right when Hagrid stepped on it, tell the armour that “The birds are in the wasp’s nest”, turn around, head into another corridor, through a hidden door, up one more staircase, until they finally seemed to reach their destination. “Wait here he said. And passed through into another room.” There was a brief glimpse of many more faces, sitting at four tables, then the door shut, and they were left alone. Each of them looked around, wondering what would happen and what the other would do next.

• 9 months later...

Serena stepped over the bench into her seat, carefully marking her place in the book before setting it down and directing her attention to the front of the Great Hall where the Headmistress would soon be greeting the students before returning to look around the Ravenclaw tables, many of the students were still immersed in discussions and playing around with their friends but nothing seemed to need a Prefects attention.

Feeling that she should probably attempt to socialize a bit with her fellow Ravenclaws she politely asked a few nearby 2nd years how their holidays had been, both seemed slightly intimidated by her but began telling her about a book fair that they'd been to which sounded more interesting than the usual quidditch matches and dueling clubs people usually went to in the holidays.

As Michael was walking in, he couldn't help but groan. He knew he should've bought more food on the train, but he just had to be conservative with his sickles. Oh well. He was so distracted by his stomach that he could hardly hear what the sorting hat was saying. He did his best to pay attention, and caught a few minor details, but in the end, there was just no force like his stomach. He did his best not to let it show to those around him.

As David made his way into the Great Hall, he slowed for just a minute to appreciate the grandeur of the place. While he wasn't usually awed by such... cosmetic uses of magic, there was something about coming in to the Great Hall after a break that was just... breathtaking. 

Snapping back to reality, David walked over towards the Slytherin table, dropping down into a seat with a happy sigh. It's good to be back. He ignored the preparations for the Sorting Ceremony, choosing instead to glance around for any of his friends. He didn't see any of them yet, but then again, they were always late. 

Guess I'll just watch the Sorting, then. Not much else to do until the food arrives. 

Ben had spent the entire trip on the Hogwarts Express alone in his compartment. He didn't mind the loneliness, really. It gave him more time to read and to contemplate. And boy was there a lot to contemplate.

The letter from Hogwarts had come as a complete surprise. It wasn't that Ben didn't know about the wizarding community--though his parents were Muggles, his grandpa was a Hogwarts alumnus. No, the letter was a surprise because out of all the talented, brave, and smart people in his family, magic had chosen him: the loner.

It seemed like only a few moments had passed until the train came to a screeching halt. Ben followed the tide of students out of the train. Everyone else seemed to know what was happening; he would just follow them...

"Firs' years this way! Firs' years this way!"

A booming voice sounded across the station. Ben turned to the source and gaped. An incredibly large man, thrice Ben's height and with hands the size of dinner plates, was standing off to the side, a group of short students--made shorter by comparison--clustered around.

The next half hour was a blur. This world was so new, so different, so exciting. He breathed in and with the salty lake air came a sensation of wonder that he had felt once before with his first steps into Diagon Alley. He felt rather than saw: felt the chill wind across the lake and harbor, felt the imposing presence of the castle. He only really came to reality when a kind yet powerful voice spoke.

"Welcome to Hogwarts! I am Professor Reynolds. I'm sure you must all be really cold and hungry after your trip here, but before you'll join the feast, you have to pass the sorting ceremony. I could bore you with a monologue about our Houses, but I'm not that cruel. All you need to know, is that there are four Houses in Hogwarts. Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Gryffindor. They all have their good and bad sides, none if better than the other. Great and powerful wizards came from all four of them. Good and evil witches graduated from all four of them. There is also a competition running the entire year, where you gather and lose points for your house. You'll figure out the rest with the help of your new housemates. The sorting ceremony itself is quite simple. Once I read your name, you sit on the stool in front of everybody, I place the hat on your head, it picks a house for you and done! You go to sit with other members of your new House. Now, let's begin!"

And with that, the doors opened and the stream of nervous first-years entered the Great Hall. The cavernous room was completely silent. All eyes were on them.

An older witch at the head of the table unlocked her phone and called out the first name: "Adams, Elizabeth." The Sorting had begun.

• 2 weeks later...

Victor leaned against the wall, waiting for his turn to enter the Great Hall. His last name started with letter B, so it shouldn’t take long. Meanwhile, he took his time to look around and appreciate the medieval architecture and decoration of the castle. Everything was lit by candle light, most likely magically enhanced, as it was too bright for simple candles. There were no visible signs of electricity, however after a quick glance on his phone, he noticed a weak WiFi signal available.

Other students stood mostly in small groups, chatting quietly, visibly nervous. No wonder, they were about to be put in a center of attention of the whole school. Victor felt the stress too. He considered himself mature and brave enough to face so much attention, but it wasn’t easy to not feel uncomfortable with it.

“Victor Bshenshyshykyewich” announced the Headmistress in the Great Hall. Victor smiled to himself. She must have been practicing, he thought. Encouraged by quiet laughs that rolled through the hall, he left the chamber.

He entered the Great Hall right next to the teachers table. From where he was, he could see four long tables standing before the elevation he was currently on. He was relieved to notice that not every student was paying attention to the ceremony. At least a third of them were busy talking to each other. He tried to find Shannon or Serena in the crowds, but with no luck, there were too many people and he didn’t even know which table to look at.

In front of him Headmistress McGonagall stood next to a simple stool, holding a ragged old hat in her hands. She smiled to him and gestured to sit down. When Victor took his place, she placed the old hat on his head.

Hmm. Let's see here. Lots of potential, and ambition to go right along with it! But you are kind, and clever. This might take a little thinking. Hmm. You have a very interesting mind. Well, I must conclude that there is no other place for you to go than Slytherin. Before you go, I must state that while the actions of Voldemort and his associates were atrocious, they are not linked in any way to the values or intents of the Slytherin House. For more information, I suggest you seek out a senior student or prefect of Slytherin.

“SLYTHERIN!” the hat shouted, and the Slytherin table burst into cheers and raucous shouts of congratulation. Headmistress took the Hat from Victor’s head and nodded to let him know the ceremony is over for him. Still shocked after hearing foreign voice inside his own head, Victor stood up and walked slowly towards the Slytherin table, trying to find Shannon among the cheering students.

(Text in blue written by @Master Elodin a long time ago :P )

Sorry, this is a bit out of order as far as the names go. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much; I'm just throwing in an NPC.

"Ashton, Lillian!" called the Headmistress next. A girl broke away from the line and made her way up to the front of the Hall. She had long black hair and striking green eyes, and walked with confidence, not the arrogant kind. As she glided up the aisle, her cloak billowed behind her as if in slow motion. Ben blinked. She was...cute.

She sat down atop the stool and the old Headmistress placed the hat on her head. It thought for a moment (ridiculous, Ben thought, hats can't think) before shouting "GRYFFINDOR!" Lillian smiled and took her place at one of the tables.

The list moved on to Victor something, but Ben was still deep in thought about the four Hogwarts houses. He didn't know anything about them apart from their names--Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw--yet for some reason, a voice in the back of his head suggested, Gryffindor, I hope it's Gryffindor...

Lillian smiled.

Edited by Ecthelion III

• 3 weeks later...

Jarrad was staring up at the ceiling in amazement, the slight clouds he'd seen on the train over remained but in between them he could make out an incredible starscape.
This was the exact room that You know Who had died in, dozens of other death eaters had been killed as well, he could almost see it now, spells flying throughout the hall, the blank eyes of-

His stomach instantly started rebelling against him and he hunched over trying to prevent the impending barfing.

"Thomas, Jarrad!"

Oh god, eating so many of those strawberry lollipops was a bad idea.

Taking slow breaths he tried to still his stomach.

"Ehem, mr. Thomas?"

Thank god everyone was watching the hat not me, no one would believe a half vampire who was almost puking.

Looking up he noticed that almost every eye in the great hall was turned towards him.

Wait, what letter were they up to?

"Mr. Thomas, if you've quite finished could you make your way up to be sorted?" Said Professor Mcgonagall, the Headmistress.

Jarrad awkwardly made his way to the stool placed at the front of the four tables, head looking directly down.

Maybe they'll think I was brooding? He hoped desperately.

Sitting down on the stool he was sincerely grateful when the hat was dropped low on his head, covering his eyes.

Hmm... A small voice sounded in his ear.
Now what to do with you? What's this? Not much ambition, plenty of knowledge if you cared to tap it, a touch of daring in the right places. Yes, I think you'll do best in...

"RAVENCLAW!" The hat yelled next to his ear.

Ravenclaw? Awesome! I can go to the library and read up on vampires and borrow a bunch of books on curses and then take them back to the common room and..

Er... you can get up now.The hat whispered to him again.

Jarrad briskly walked to the Ravenclaw table to a mix of applause and giggling laughter.