Madison, WI OdessyCon

aidonis

I'm curious if anyone knows the sequence of event for OdessyCon? I'm only going to be able to get away from work for one day, and I'd like that to be the day Brandon is speaking.

Thanks in advance!

Kurkistan EDIT:

Links to reports:

Blightsong's report - Large

Kurkistan's report - Medium

Edited by Kurkistan
Power-abusing mod edit to put in links to signing reports

Brandon has a short schedule up on his event page now:

Saturday, April 9

Interview with Brandon Sanderson
Time: 2:30–4:00 p.m.

Sunday, April 10

World-building Upgrades
Time: 11:30–1:00 p.m.

On the OdesseyCon schedule he is also scheduled for a Magic: The Gathering event 9:30-11 Saturday and a panel on "Magical Ethics" 1-2:30 Sunday.  Not to mention the Guest of Honor speeches Saturday 7-9.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon: These are actually yours? Ok, I'll keep going then. If these are actually yours you can have as many as you want. Some people just go to the list of all the questions to ask Brandon and they come and just "Oh I'm just gonna ask Brandon all of these", and I'm like "no you can have three or four". But, if they're your questions you can have as many as you want.

I am sure you are making hordes of jealous just here!!!!!

Great questions you had there and thanks again for patching me in  :lol: Now at least I know some of the rubbish I have been clamoring is bond to be true  -_-

My own questions (verbatim):

Signing Line:

Kurk: How exactly, Realmatically, is it tracked- like [for example] Aon Aon with these swirls and lines means "Arelon"?

Brandon: I'm not gonna' explain that yet; I can explain how the shape is, but the whole relationship between the Aons and the magic and the landscape-

SoS Spoilers

Kurk: What exactly was Harmony's original plan for Lessie if she'd gone along with it?

Brandon: Well the original plan was to turn Wax into what he kind of ended up being.

Q: And Lessie would still be alive, then?

A: Yes, and kind of as his minder slash, ya know...

During Magic (there was a lull, I promise):

-Blightsong was kind enough to spare a moment in his excellent series of questions to let me get a silly bubble question in edgewise. :)

Kurk: What exactly- When an object enters a time bubble, how exactly does it determine- how does it know how fast and which direction it's "really" going?

Brandon: It gets deflected a little bit when it enters, but then it adapts to the momentum that it would have going in.

Q: Like Spiritual bonds to something or other?

A: Riiight <sounds hesitant> it's- so... I can't explain that because it has relevance in the future. But in that moment when it passes [into the bubble], something is happening with conservation of momentum. The trick we have to do with it in order to keep from irradiating people.

P.S. Copied for completion's sake, I also asked that surgebinder-gemheart question I'd been speculating on for a few years. We got a RAFO back in 2014, but I had forgotten and it seems Brandon was in a more open mood this time.

Kurk: Do Surgebinders have Gemhearts?

Blightsong: *laughs* I was about to ask that.

Brandon: No, good question.

P.P.S: Also Rosharan ansible.

So that happened. Overall a good little set of questions. The Lessie thing had been nagging at me for awhile and the bubble answer puts a tidy little nail into my historical "let's not worry about the mechanics of that" for redshift/blueshift; historically I've always interpreted "that's a problem for the future" as "this has to do with Allomantic FTL", so that bears thinking about.

Edited by Kurkistan

I was there while you guys were asking questions...you had some seriously good ones. The entire event was a lot of fun. Where either of you able to make it to his panels or his interview?

I got to a couple. U they were all very interesting, I think him being a professor helps that.

Dude, Blightsong, I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you are!  You gave yourself away by saying "Last year I asked you if shadows turn the wrong way in the cognitive realm for a reason, you said to basicly think of it like important flavor text. Is this happening because people are being drawn towards the Beyond?", and the fact that you said you road-tripped to this con... did you go to Minicon last year??  If you are who I think you are, then you and I were the only two people at Minicon last year asking any sort of Cosmere questions.

Dude, Blightsong, I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you are!  You gave yourself away by saying "Last year I asked you if shadows turn the wrong way in the cognitive realm for a reason, you said to basicly think of it like important flavor text. Is this happening because people are being drawn towards the Beyond?", and the fact that you said you road-tripped to this con... did you go to Minicon last year??  If you are who I think you are, then you and I were the only two people at Minicon last year asking any sort of Cosmere questions.

I was at Minicon, I remeber you! Pm'ed :)

Ah yes, one other signing-report thing: I was distracted by the draft, but I distinctly heard Brandon talking with the other table about space travel as relates to Roshar. He was talking about how the magic can already control gravity/pressure and the like, but the thing that stood out clearly was that he was saying that they already had an ansible.

The only candidate for that is spanreeds/conjoiner fabrials, so that's a nice confirmation there that they communicate faster than light.

Well I know who Blightsong is now, one of like 7 people at the con younger than me, the con was full of people in their 60s.

over all it was great, got to play magic with Brandon and loose by a large margin, my brother did better got him down to 9(mostly by Brandon's doing) and then Brandon nuked him for 15. Brandon read the first couple of pages of my brothers book draft. and then there was connecting with some new people and great book conversations.

signing line:

if a person where tapping connection would their language for awakening change?

not exact quote but the meaning was not ambiguous: if the connection is strong enough then yes, otherwise no.

Draft tid bit i remember but isn't in the reports

again not a direct quote it boils down to Kel could bond someone. 

Edited by Tarontos

Ah yes, one other signing-report thing: I was distracted by the draft, but I distinctly heard Brandon talking with the other table about space travel as relates to Roshar. He was talking about how the magic can already control gravity/pressure and the like, but the thing that stood out clearly was that he was saying that they already had an ansible.

The only candidate for that is spanreeds/conjoiner fabrials, so that's a nice confirmation there that they communicate faster than light.

I'm not sure I'd say this is the slam dunk you assume. You say "the only candidate" like people haven't had crazier theories that turned out to be true.

We know that spanreeds are ultimately bound by distance. Their speed might circumvent the physical realm enough to be technically superluminal, but the multiplied strain of simultaneous infusion will mean that at great enough distances, they will be non-functional. Currently you can be across an entire continent and the weight is negligible enough that the gemstones function, but if we're talking planets? For that matter, if we're talking planets, aren't they no longer in the same orbital velocity? What if you're on Roshar and I'm on Ashlyn and we connect? Won't my spanreed suddenly move at Roshar's rotation? They can't even handle being on a ship.

As for other candidates, they literally just found Urithiru, and the fabrialavators. We don't get one POV of Navani. Who knows what she found that might be the real ansible? What about the Oathgates themselves? What if the 'candidate' has to do with the Heralds worldhopping between Braize? What if it's to do with the Nahel bond?

Beyond which, you're already admitting that you're paraphrasing something you overheard. Can you be 100% positive he was talking about Roshar? At my last signing, I had people come up to me while I was chilling outside, telling me exactly what he said, how he said it, and when I checked my audio later it was distinctly different. Seons appear to be ansibles. Given how we've been burned by paraphrasers claiming to be accurate before (wasn't there a guy who posted a paraphrase from Bands tour that was immediately overturned via twitter?) I think that you might be premature to declare "this is the only candidate" and "this is the one answer that has been confirmed now." I think there's still a lot of room between what we know, what he said, and what we can consider "confirmed."

Edited by Oudeis

I'm not sure I'd say this is the slam dunk you assume. You say "the only candidate" like people haven't had crazier theories that turned out to be true.

We know that spanreeds are ultimately bound by distance. Their speed might circumvent the physical realm enough to be technically superluminal, but the diversified strain of simultaneous infusion will mean that at great enough distances, they will be non-functional. Currently you can be across an entire continent and the weight is negligible enough that the gemstones function, but if we're talking planets? For that matter, if we're talking planets, aren't they no longer in the same orbital velocity? What if you're on Roshar and I'm on Ashlyn and we connect? Won't my spanreed suddenly move at Roshar's rotation? They can't even handle being on a ship.

As for other candidates, they literally just found Urithiru, and the fabrialavators. We don't get one POV of Navani. Who knows what she found that might be the real ansible? What about the Oathgates themselves? What if the 'candidate' has to do with the Heralds worldhopping between Braize? What if it's to do with the Nahel bond?

Beyond which, you're already admitting that you're paraphrasing something you overheard. Can you be 100% positive he was talking about Roshar? At my last signing, I had people come up to me while I was chilling outside, telling me exactly what he said, how he said it, and when I checked my audio later it was distinctly different. Seons appear to be ansibles. Given how we've been burned by paraphrasers claiming to be accurate before (wasn't there a guy who posted a paraphrase from Bands tour that was immediately overturned via twitter?) I think that you might be premature to declare "this is the only candidate" and "this is the one answer that has been confirmed now." I think there's still a lot of room between what we know, what he said, and what we can consider "confirmed."

So far as I could tell the context of the the conversation was about the broader nature of future space travel/magic in the cosmere. And Brandon was talking about the seeds already being their in the books, using stuff we've already seen on Roshar as his examples. I rather distinctly recall the phrase "already have an ansible", and so doubt that that he was referring to some other (nigh?) instantaneous magical communication device on Roshar just then. Sure it's possible that some super-secret method exists that he was actually referring to, but in that case feel free to mentally add a "reasonable" between the "only" and "candidate" in my speculation on the line after I imparted what memory I had of Brandon's comments. And I guess "probably-" infront of "confirmation".

Aside: So far as rotation goes, that's already being taken care of one way or another. Not only am I fairly sure we have a WoB on it, but simple common sense demands it, as otherwise anyone on different latitudes or altitudes on Roshar would find their spanreeds flying off.

Edited by Kurkistan

We know that spanreeds are ultimately bound by distance. Their speed might circumvent the physical realm enough to be technically superluminal, but the diversified strain of simultaneous infusion will mean that at great enough distances, they will be non-functional. Currently you can be across an entire continent and the weight is negligible enough that the gemstones function, but if we're talking planets? For that matter, if we're talking planets, aren't they no longer in the same orbital velocity? What if you're on Roshar and I'm on Ashlyn and we connect? Won't my spanreed suddenly move at Roshar's rotation? They can't even handle being on a ship.

I heard him talking about this but forgot about it. Brandon basicly used span reads as an example of FTL being possible in the Cosmere. It's not the only example, but it was the one he used.

I heard him talking about this but forgot about it. Brandon basicly used span reads as an example of FTL being possible in the Cosmere. It's not the only example, but it was the one he used.

Thanks for the additional context. :)

I'm recalling now: was that when he was bringing up how even FTL communication is violating causality as an example of the need to go a bit wibbly-wobbly with FTL physics?

Edited by Kurkistan