Summary of Cosmere easter eggs

mthorp25

I hope i am in the right place for this ! I still havent figured out how to properly post on this site. 

So, i have read every Cosmere book and short story. There arent any crazy spoilers out there for me since i have read them all and am up to date. 

My question is that there are so many easter eggs in the books, some very subtle, that i know i have missed some giant pieces of information. 

Has anyone made a Cosmere easter egg list, or a kind of Cliff notes for the Cosmere? 

I have missed quite a few things, and this site has helped to piece a lot of the pieces together, but it took a bit of digging and a lot of reading things that were just theories and not canon. 

Anyhow, thanks for your help, and happy reading !

I don't think there has been such a list made... Seeing how we already have the thread started, we might just as well make one. To start (and keep in mind I don't remember all of it):

• General:

- The author of Ars Arcana is Khriss, of White Sand

- The maps are obtained by Nazh, Khriss' coworker/errand boy, who's from Threnody, the world of Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

• Elantris:

- The Lake where the Hoed are being dissolved is Devotion's Shardpool

- "Domi" people curse by is probably short from Dominion, one of Sel's Shards They're pronounced differently "doh-mih-nyun" versus "doh-meye"

- Svrakiss may or may not be related to Odium

- Hoid appears helping Sarene with her luggage near the end of the story

- In 10th Anniversary edition there is, IIRC, a moment when Hoid discusses not being able to become an Elantrian with a Seon a Skaze, actually.  Seons are balls of white light, Skaze are balls of black darkness.  

• Emperor's Soul:

- The Emperor's jesk who helped Shai steal the Moon Sceptre is Hoid His fool, actually. There's a distinction.  

- Shai describes objects having Cognitive and Spiritual "soul"; something we later see in WoR and M: SH

• The Final Empire:

- Kelsier's informant is Hoid

- The Pits of Hathsin are Ruin's Shardpool

• Well of Ascension:

- Hoid is leading Terris refugees Elend and Spook encounter (half of this list will be Hoidspotting, huh?)

- The Well itself is Preservation's Shardpool

• Hero of Ages:

- Hoid is the informant Vin avoids because of Kelsier's ghost cluing her in not to approach him 

• Adonalsium and the three parts of a person are mentioned in the epigraphs

• Alloy of Law:

- The marriage the Vanishers attack is apparently between a pair of Worldhoppers

- Hoid is a beggar chatting with the couple during said wedding

- Miles' last words are apparently not-accidentally similar to death rattles from Stormlight Archive

• Shadows of Self:

- The brochure in the middle of the book contains a story of a woman stumbling upon what's apparently a Shardpool or other perpendicularity; she meets a Southern Scadrian/Iyatil-folk/Parshendi worldhopper

- Hoid is Wax's carriage driver

- The Red Rip (it was mentioned either there or in Bands) in the skies is the same astral feature as Taln's Scar in SA.

• Bands of Mourning: 

- The beggar who gives Wax the coppermind is Hoid

- The woman questioning Wax about allomantic physics at lady Kelesina's ball is Khriss

- The brochure has an advert of "K and N" (Khriss and Nazh) searching for talking metal tools for unknown purpose

- The brochure has a story in which we can apparently see Nazh shooting Threnodite Shades (from Shadows...) from some sort of a gun

- The red-eyed "Fakeless" Immortal of Set may be a Voidbringer on a Svrakiss (or both!). At any rate, it's not from Scadrial.

• Secret History:

- Leras has a knife that's apparently important and may be supernatural

- He calls 16 a "sacred number"

- He refers to Senna, who/what may be of some importance in Dragonsteel 

- Drifter is Hoid

- Leras knows Hoid under the name Cephandrius

- The land Kelsier is in is Scadrial's equivalent of Roshar's Shadesmar; the Expanse of the Vapours from WoK's Shadesmar map

- Kelsier meets with Khriss and Nazh, who are there to observe Preservation's death; they explain existence of different planets

- Nazh leaves his silver knife with Kelsier; Kel loses it, and it may or may not be important; Nazh's knife is silver, which is anti-Shade on Threnody

- Ire is from Sel; they mention guarding their borders from Threnodite Shades

- The leader of Ire curses by Devotion

- Ati refers to a world called Vax, which apparently looks similar to "Scadesmar"

• Warbreaker:

- The storyteller Lightsong invites at one of the parties is Hoid

- Nightblood was based on a Shardblade (not sure if this should be here, as it's a Wob)

• Sixth of the Dusk: The Ones Above are far-future Scadrians, or at least that's where a lot of the evidence is pointing.

• Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell:

- There has been speculation that the "real" White Fox was Hoid

- The Evil is offworld, and may be connected to Odium in some way

- Threnody is named in memorial of something, likely of Cosmeric importance

• Way of the Kings:

- Wit is Hoid

- The three travellers in Purelake interlude are Galladon, Demoux and Baon from ElantrisMistborn and White Sand respectively; they are after Hoid and belong to 17th Shard

- The fish in Purelake have magic qualities reminescent of Aviars from Sixth of the Dusk

- Purelake might be a Shardpool; it certainly enables worldhopping The Purelake is much too open and too non-energetic to be a Shardpool, and I can think of no evidence for it to enable Worldhopping.  

- The letter from the epigraphs in Part 2 is from Hoid, likely addressed to Frost, who is a dragon and resides on another planet

- The letter mentions Ati, Ruin's holder

- Hoid used to use name Topaz

- The colorful map of Shadesmar also points to other "expanses" of the Cognitive realm, including Expanse of Vibrance (possibly Nalthis) and Expanse of the Vapours (confirmed to be Scadrial)

- Hoid is running away from someone; likely Rayse or 17th Shard

- The white "sun" visible in Shadesmar (and in Shallan's chapter headers) is the Spiritual Realm

• Words of Radiance:

- Zahel is Vasher from Warbreaker

- Nazh is the ardent Rock chases away from Bridge Four; he was sketching bridgemen tattoos

- Iyatil's mask suggests she has some connection to Southern Scadrians; she's a worldhopper

- Mraize is a worldhopper; his collection includes a rare flower from Nalthis, a lock of hair (possibly Royal Locks, also from Nalthis), a vial of sand from Taldain (White Sand), a silver knife from Threnody and an unusual gem (could be from yet-unpublished Aether of Night) among others

- At least one of the lakes on top of Horneater Peaks is a perpendicularity and might be Shardpool; the "god" Rock saw there was Hoid arriving on Roshar

- The Purelake plague mentioned by the end is the common cold brought to Roshar by the three worldhoppers from WoK

- Taln's Scar in the skies is the same thing as Red Rip from Mistborn 1.5

- The sword Nin gives to Szeth by the end is Nightblood, of Warbreaker 

- Iriali faith (from Ym's interlude) bears startling resemblance to cosmeric history

- The letter of Part 4 is an answer to that from WoK, and possibly from Frost

- The letter mentions Hoid having a gem that "died"; going by publicly available chapters of Liar of Partinel, the stone was an aether

Here, all I can recall/dig out of Coppermind. Let me know if I missed something.

Corrections in bold.  EDIT: And how did you get the indents to work?  I was having a lot of trouble with them.  

Edited by Landis963

Corrections in bold.  EDIT: And how did you get the indents to work?  I was having a lot of trouble with them.  

Thanks for that. As for Purelake enabling worldhopping, I based this on the fact that this is where the worldhopping trio has been looking for any appearance of Hoid, which I think means they've expected him there. I'll delete the "definitely" part, though.

Regarding indents, the book names are made with the bulleted list button, then I press enter+shift and make the "sub-points" by adding "-" on front, like this:

• (button)

(enter+shift)

(another enter+shift)

This is exactly what i was looking for !! You are my hero. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out for me. This should be shared so others can appreciate it, and possibly add anything that may have been missed. 

I am new to this site and not very computer savvy. Does anyone know the best place to repost ? 

• Elantris:
    - "Domi" people curse by is probably short from Dominion, one of Sel's Shards (the way it's spoken is different, though, so it's probably not an ironclad Easter-Egg - unless we consider some sort of language drift)

WOB has disclaimed this one. Brandon said "Domi" was the Korathi word for God, and that the relationship to the word Dominion was purely coincidental.

So...this is not all that groundbreaking as an easter egg...but I thought that it was fun when I noticed it.

In Final Empire, when Kel is first training Vin in allomancy...she burns iron without knowing what she is doing...the result is a nail flying directly at her out of the dark.  Kel saves her, and her immediate thought is "Did that metal bring objects to life?  That would be an incredible power indeed."

Totally unremarkable on your first read...then you read Warbreaker...and realize that this was incredibly subtle foreshadowing on Brandon's part for something that takes place in a different magic system.

I wonder if there are any other examples like this?

Edited by hoidhunter

An easter egg on Easter Day:

In Mistborn: Secret History,

Leras says to Kelsier

“You tried to rescue a boatful of people from a fire by sinking the boat, then claiming, ‘At least they didn’t burn to death.’  ” God hesitated. “You’re going to punch me again, aren’t you?”

This closely mirrors Shallan setting a ship on fire and sinking it to save the crew from being stabbed.

Edited by ecohansen

Adonalsium split into 16 shards (General knowledge, but still good to know)

Addition to emperor's soul: Ralkaest (the unforgeable metal) is aluminum

Correction for emperor's soul: Hoid was known as the Imperial Fool

WoA: the footprints Vin sees near the well are left by Hoid

Also, I believe Taln's scar is thought to be the same band of red stars visible from numerous other shardworlds including Scadrial and

Edited by Bugsy6912

Adonalsium split into 16 shards (General knowledge, but still good to know)

Addition to emperor's soul: Ralkaest (the unforgeable metal) is aluminum

Correction for emperor's soul: Hoid was known as the Imperial Fool

WoA: the footprints Vin sees near the well are left by Hoid

Added (though without the footprints).

I wonder if there's enough content to warrant a Coppermind page on easter-eggs and references.

Not really an Easter egg but I enjoyed catching the similarity between a line from the first chapter of Final Empire and one in Secret History:

(Spoiler: Secret History)

Kelsier to Mennis: "I’m just a traveling miscreant"

Hoid to Kelsier: "I am a drifter.  A miscreant...."

Kelsier to Hoid: "That's....needlessly obtuse."

Can anyone tell me how to create the spoiler tag? I am not computer savvy, so if you could explain in like you're talking to a 5 year old, that would be fantastic. 

And thank you to all the contributors to this list, im sure there are more out there that havent been addressed. Does anyone know a way to get this list to a place where it will get more views, therefore getting more people to add to it? 

Im new to this site and havent really figured it out yet. Any veterans wanna show me the ropes or give me some advise, i would greatly appreciate it !!!

Can anyone tell me how to create the spoiler tag? I am not computer savvy, so if you could explain in like you're talking to a 5 year old, that would be fantastic.

And thank you to all the contributors to this list, im sure there are more out there that havent been addressed. Does anyone know a way to get this list to a place where it will get more views, therefore getting more people to add to it?

Im new to this site and havent really figured it out yet. Any veterans wanna show me the ropes or give me some advise, i would greatly appreciate it !!!

Just put (spoiler) at the beginning, and (/spoiler) at the end, but replace the () with [] square brackets, like with the quote tags. :-)

jW

There is also a button third from the top left of the text box that looks like a little picture. You click it, and it opens a window stating "Special BB Code". click the drop down, select spoiler, and it will give you a text box to write the spoiler in. Always found this as a much easier way for the uninitiated to accomplish it. 

I don't think there has been such a list made... Seeing how we already have the thread started, we might just as well make one. To start (and keep in mind I don't remember all of it):

• General:

- The maps are obtained by Nazh, Khriss' coworker/errand boy, who's from Threnody, the world of Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

- Number 16, any time it shows up, is a reference to Adonalsium having split into 16 Shards

• Elantris:

- "Domi" people curse comes from Aon Omi, "Omi" meaning "Love" - reference to Shard Devotion?

- Svarkiss may or may not be related to Odium

- In 10th Anniversary edition there is a moment when Hoid discusses not being able to become an Elantrian with a Skaze

• Emperor's Soul:

- The Imperial Fool who helped Shai steal the Moon Sceptre is Hoid

- Shai descries objects having Cognitive and Spiritual "soul"; something we later see in WoR and M: SH

- Ralkaest (the unForgeable metal) is aluminium, which is also allomantically intert

• The Final Empire:

- When Vin burns iron for the first time, she wonders whether she brought it to life and notes that it would be an amazingly powerful skill - reference to Warbreaker's Awakening

• Well of Ascension:

- Hoid is leading Terris refugees Elend and Spook encounter (half of this list will be Hoidspotting, huh?)

• Hero of Ages:

- Hoid is the informant Vin avoids because of Kelsier's ghost cluing her in not to approach him

- Adonalsium and three parts of a person (Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual) are mentioned in the epigraphs

• Alloy of Law:

- The marriage the Vanishers attack is apparently between a pair of Worldhoppers

- Miles' last words are apparently not-accidentally similar to death rattles from Stormlight Archive

• Shadows of Self:

- The brochure in the middle of the book contains a story of a woman stumbling upon what's apparently a Shardpool or other perpendicularity; she meets a Southern Scadrian/Iyatil-folk/Parshendi worldhopper

- The Red Rip (it was mentioned either there or in Bands) in the skies is the same astral feature as Taln's Scar in SA.

• Bands of Mourning: 

- The woman questioning Wax about allomantic physics at lady Kelesina's ball is Khriss

- The brochure has an advert of "K and N" (Khriss and Nazh) searching for talking metal tools for unknown purpose

- The brochure has a story in which we can apparently see Nazh shooting Threnodite Shades (from Shadows...) from some sort of a gun

- The red-eyed "Fakeless" Immortal of Set may be a Voidbringer or a Svarkiss (or both!). At any rate, it's not from Scadrial.

• Secret History:

- Drifter is Hoid

- The land Kelsier is in is Scadrial's equivalent of Roshar's Shadesmar; the Expanse of the Vapours from WoK's Shadesmar map

- Kelsier meets with Khriss and Nazh, who are there to observe Preservation's death; they explain existence of different planets

- Nazh leaves his silver knife with Kelsier; Kel loses it, and it may or may not be important; Nazh's knife is silver, which is anti-Shade on Threnody

- Ati refers to a world called Vax, which apparently looks similar to "Scadesmar"

- Leras notes that Kelsier "tried to rescue a boatful of people from a fire by sinking the boat and then claiming 'at least they didn't burn to death'", which is exactly what Shallan does with Wind's Pleasure in WoR

• Warbreaker:

- Nightblood was based on a Shardblade (not sure if this should be here, as it's a Wob)

- There's a Terriswoman nurse somewhere in there 

• Sixth of the Dusk:

A lot of evidence points to the Ones Above being Sci-fi era Scadrians

• Way of the Kings:

- Wit is Hoid

- The three travellers in Purelake interlude are Galladon, Demoux and Baon from ElantrisMistborn and White Sand respectively; they are after Hoid and belong to 17th Shard

- The fish in Purelake have magic qualities reminescent of Aviars from Sixth of the Dusk

- Purelake seems to enable worldhopping, as this is where the trio searches for Hoid

- The letter from the epigraphs in Part 2 is from Hoid, likely addressed to Frost, who is a dragon and resides on another planet

- The colorful map of Shadesmar also points to other "expanses" of the Cognitive realm, including Expanse of Vibrance (possibly Nalthis) and Expanse of the Vapours (confirmed to be Scadrial)

- The white "sun" visible in Shadesmar (and in Shallan's chapter headers) is the Spiritual Realm

• Words of Radiance:

- Nazh is the ardent Rock chases away from Bridge Four; he was sketching bridgemen tattoos

- Iyatil's mask suggests she has some connection to Southern Scadrians; she's a worldhopper

- Mraize is a worldhopper; his collection includes a rare flower from Nalthis, a lock of hair (possibly Royal Locks, also from Nalthis), a vial of sand from Taldain (White Sand), a silver knife from Threnody and an unusual gem (could be from yet-unpublished Aether of Night) among others

- At least one of the lakes on top of Horneater Peaks is a perpendicularity and might be Shardpool; the "god" Rock saw there was Hoid arriving on Roshar

- The Purelake plague mentioned by the end is the common cold brought to Roshar by the three worldhoppers from WoK

- Iriali faith (from Ym's interlude) bears startling resemblance to cosmeric history

- The letter mentions Hoid having a gem that "died"; going by publicly available chapters of Liar of Partinel, the stone was an aether

- The Ars Arcanum compares Rosharan lightweaving to Yolenian art of the same name

- There's a man called Felt both here (on Dalinar's staff) and back in one of Mistborn books - YMMV whether this means something

- Many graphics visible in beginnings of chapters are annotated by Nazh, including pages from Shallan's notebook, which he has apparently fished out from the bottom of the sea

Here, all I can recall/dig out of Coppermind. Let me know if I missed something.

edit: fixed a few mistakes, added a few points

Thanks for this. I think I knew about most of these from reading through the last two years worth of Sanderson Interviews, but it is so satisfying to have this information all in one location. It's like my own private coppermind on all things cosmere.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20/03/2016 at 10:44 AM, Rasarr said:

• General:
    - Number 16, any time it shows up, is a reference to Adonalsium having split into 16 Shards

• Elantris:
    - "Domi" people curse comes from Aon Omi, "Omi" meaning "Love" - reference to Shard Devotion?
    - Svarkiss may or may not be related to Odium
    - In 10th Anniversary edition there is a moment when Hoid discusses not being able to become an Elantrian with a Skaze

• Emperor's Soul:
    - The Imperial Fool who helped Shai steal the Moon Sceptre is Hoid
    - Shai descries objects having Cognitive and Spiritual "soul"; something we later see in WoR and M: SH
    - Ralkaest (the unForgeable metal) is aluminium, which is also allomantically intert

• The Final Empire:
    - When Vin burns iron for the first time, she wonders whether she brought it to life and notes that it would be an amazingly powerful skill - reference to Warbreaker's Awakening

• Well of Ascension:

• Hero of Ages:
    - Adonalsium and three parts of a person (Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual) are mentioned in the epigraphs

• Alloy of Law:

• Shadows of Self:

• Bands of Mourning: 
    - The red-eyed "Fakeless" Immortal of Set may be a Voidbringer or a Svarkiss (or both!). At any rate, it's not from Scadrial.

• Secret History:
    - Drifter is Hoid
    - Leras notes that Kelsier "tried to rescue a boatful of people from a fire by sinking the boat and then claiming 'at least they didn't burn to death'", which is exactly what Shallan does with Wind's Pleasure in WoR

• Warbreaker:
    - There's a Terriswoman nurse somewhere in there 

• Sixth of the Dusk:
    A lot of evidence points to the Ones Above being Sci-fi era Scadrians

• Way of the Kings:
    - Wit is Hoid
    - Purelake seems to enable worldhopping, as this is where the trio searches for Hoid

• Words of Radiance:
    - The Ars Arcanum compares Rosharan lightweaving to Yolenian art of the same name
    - There's a man called Felt both here (on Dalinar's staff) and back in one of Mistborn books - YMMV whether this means something
    - Many graphics visible in beginnings of chapters are annotated by Nazh, including pages from Shallan's notebook, which he has apparently fished out from the bottom of the sea

edit: fixed a few mistakes, added a few points

In words of radiance Mraize is seen to have a 'strange green chicken' I was thinking that this might be an aviar but is described as a chicken because Roshar is not kind to birds in terms of available living arrangements via the highstorms whereas chickens are protected by man for food. Anyone have confirmation?

1 hour ago, Skybreaker156 said:

In words of radiance Mraize is seen to have a 'strange green chicken' I was thinking that this might be an aviar but is described as a chicken because Roshar is not kind to birds in terms of available living arrangements via the highstorms whereas chickens are protected by man for food. Anyone have confirmation?

Hoidonalsium

Is Mraize's strange chicken Invested? Like the birds of Sixth of the Dusk?

Brandon Sanderson

It is an Aviar.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

Worth noting is that Sandman has yet to confirm what power it grants.