Speculation About Frost’s Role in the Shattering

Confused

Master_Moridin is correct. Master_Elodin, you seem to be misunderstanding Brandon's answer. The question was if Yolen is unreachable (or lost a Kriss said) from the cognitive realm because there isn't any (or isn't enough) cognitive thought for it to appear there. Brandon said that is not correct.

For reference, here is the WOB, it is from the Calamity Tour: Chicago:

Oh. Well that makes sense. Sorry everyone!

I wonder how Cosmere dragon physiology works, and if this means Frost could breathe in a vacuum.

Um, by definition you can't "breathe in a vacuum." You could survive in a vacuum without breathing, but as there's no atmosphere, there's no breathing. :)

You would essentially need some sort of airtight shell that can withstand extreme temperatures, (and extreme variations of temperature on either side) various types of radiation, and impacts from small, fast-moving objects in order to physically travel in space without some sort of vacuum suit or spacecraft. You'd also need to be able to "hold your breath" for the duration of your time in vacuum, and a way to generate thrust without compromising your protection from the vacuum.

A windrunner with sufficient stormlight can essentially meet this requirement, although instead of preventing the damage to their skin with a shell, they simply magically heal the damage, the stormlight replaces their need to breathe, and they can manipulate gravity in order to generate thrust.

If Frost can survive in a vacuum, I imagine it would be due to reasons more similar to why a Windrunner can than for physiological reasons.

A windrunner with sufficient stormlight can essentially meet this requirement, although instead of preventing the damage to their skin with a shell, they simply magically heal the damage, the stormlight replaces their need to breathe, and they can manipulate gravity in order to generate thrust.

If Frost can survive in a vacuum, I imagine it would be due to reasons more similar to why a Windrunner can than for physiological reasons.

Keep in mind that if a Windrunner is moving fast enough than an impact with even a tiny bit of material will cause enough instantaneous damage to completely obliterate said Windrunner in a highly spectacular nuclear fashion.

Um, by definition you can't "breathe in a vacuum." You could survive in a vacuum without breathing, but as there's no atmosphere, there's no breathing. :)

You would essentially need some sort of airtight shell that can withstand extreme temperatures, (and extreme variations of temperature on either side) various types of radiation, and impacts from small, fast-moving objects in order to physically travel in space without some sort of vacuum suit or spacecraft. You'd also need to be able to "hold your breath" for the duration of your time in vacuum, and a way to generate thrust without compromising your protection from the vacuum.

The windrunner would need obscene levels of stormlight just to exist in the vacuum, nonetheless travel in it to accomplish what you posit. 

The windrunner would need obscene levels of stormlight just to exist in the vacuum, nonetheless travel in it to accomplish what you posit. 

I'm imagining some nicrosil compounding going on here (of course involving spiking the windrunner to make them a nicrosil twinborn or vice versa).  It would be interesting to see if this might happen in the later stages of the cosmere.

I'm imagining some nicrosil compounding going on here (of course involving spiking the windrunner to make them a nicrosil twinborn or vice versa).  It would be interesting to see if this might happen in the later stages of the cosmere.

Although as you offer it is certainly possible, it seems like a lot of work just to transport one individual at the result of two deaths when you could world hop using the cognitive realm or come up with a way of using a ship lol. 

Don't disagree. Just saying that it's a little wrong-headed to assume if there are people/creatures flying through the vacuum at all in the Cosmere that they're doing it naturally rather than using Investiture to do it, as it's actually more believable that they have access to that much magic than it is that they naturally evolved biological space travel- it would take a pretty wacky environment to put in place selection pressures that resulted in the necessary features.

Don't disagree. Just saying that it's a little wrong-headed to assume if there are people/creatures flying through the vacuum at all in the Cosmere that they're doing it naturally rather than using Investiture to do it, as it's actually more believable that they have access to that much magic than it is that they naturally evolved biological space travel- it would take a pretty wacky environment to put in place selection pressures that resulted in the necessary features.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying it would make more sense to:

Bands of Mourning

use a machine to harness investiture to carry multiple people like the air ship in bands of mourning

as a means of transportation than spike one individual to get one person from point a to point b

• Chaos locked this topic