(BoM spoilers) god metal alloy

Red Ferring

I really think Ettmetal is the Lerasium/Atium alloy. Considering the 2 intents of the shards of those 2 metals (Preservation and Ruin) I think it makes a lot of sense.

The cube (made from ettmetal right?) copies your allomancy (Like stealing. Like hemalurgy) yet you keep your own power (like preservation). 

refresh my memory, what is ettmetal? the stuff used in the south to power ships or the metal associated with trell (the mysterious metal used on the kandra wax was in love with).

unlikely if its the latter, as harmony (ruin + preservation) couldn't influence it.

the former seems like francium, potassium, sodium, one of those metals

But the amount of godmetal would have to be absurdly high for them to use it industrially.

And how would they get in it the first place, as both Preservation's and Ruin's Shardpool was in the North?

Harmony's gift (yeah I find it very unlikely)

Anyway in 300 years a new Harmony's Shardpool may have begun to spawn somewhere on Scadrial... it's indeed possible.

Are where shard pools form a conscious decision by the shard's, where their power is most concentrated, or just a random occurrence? I feel like that would help a lot in discerning certain things.

Are where shard pools form a conscious decision by the shard's, where their power is most concentrated, or just a random occurrence? I feel like that would help a lot in discerning certain things.

I have not a sure answer.

But a Shardpool have to form on Shardworld to the presence of a Shard. His position probably isn't random but it will surelly follow some pattern about how the Shard's Investiture goes to the Shardworld. Therefore a Shard may probably know where his Shardpool will spawn and if He desire, change something in the Shardworld (Invest more or less in some area) to make the Pool spawn in a specific place.

(Like changing the variables used by the Shardpool's patter)

I mean, I'm sure wherever the pool pops up he could just move it. Rashek did it with the Well.

To be fair, Rashek didn't move the well; he moved the geography of the rest of the area to place the city basin over the well (he flattened the mountains that used to be the Terris homeland).  I don't know if that means he couldn't move the well, or just that he didn't know how, though.  I suspect Sazed/Harmony could probably position his well where he wants it one way or another.

jW

If the day and night cycles are seemingly normal enough to remain unnoticed he would have to move the planet's axis away from the magnetic poles drastically as well, then rotate the whole thing to line up the way it used to be.

. . . at which point you've basically moved the Well.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just want to point out two things:

First of all, it is VERY likely there is a shardpool in the south:

(Stormlight spoilers)

There is a character of south Scadrian descent on Roshar, chronologically before the events of the AoL era, and shardpools are the main way of worldhopping we know.

Second, "ett" is Swedish for "one", which fits very much into the concept of Harmony.

"ett" is also the indefinite article in Swedish, so the name "ettmetal" could just be "a metal", which would wind up being pretty funny if that's what it was

Yeah, though to be completely correct it would be "Enmetal", since there are two grammatical genders, and we say "en metall".

That said, English already has a funny example: "Tungsten" literally means "heavystone", but we just call it volfram.

Yeah, though to be completely correct it would be "Enmetal", since there are two grammatical genders, and we say "en metall".

That said, English already has a funny example: "Tungsten" literally means "heavystone", but we just call it volfram.

Words are great and often more hilarious than you'd think

Harmony may not have a shardpool at all. I'd think a shardpool only forms after a shard becomes attached to a planet like Ruin and Preservation were. Harmony hasn't existed long enough to become attached to Scadrial. He could leave at any time if he wanted. There's a WoB saying that would have some pretty drastic effects if he did. I wonder what those effects might be.

Harmony may not have a shardpool at all. I'd think a shardpool only forms after a shard becomes attached to a planet like Ruin and Preservation were. Harmony hasn't existed long enough to become attached to Scadrial. He could leave at any time if he wanted. There's a WoB saying that would have some pretty drastic effects if he did. I wonder what those effects might be.

Harmony almost certainly inherited those connections from the powers themselves.  Because Ruin and Preservation were so deeply connected to the world, and Harmony is at least partly a single mind controlling both, it seems very likely that Harmony is just as strongly tied as both of the original powers were.

• Chaos locked this topic