Hogwarts RP Discussion Thread

The Honor Spren

If anyone wondered how to say Victors surname...  :ph34r: I took it from an old Polish comedy "How I unleashed the World War II" :)

I'm gonna post again soon, gotta get on that train :)

EDIT: If that wasn't obvious, Victor just tried to join Shannon in the prefects car, totally oblivious to the fact, that he shouldn't be there :)

Edited by Mestiv

Based on a thought I just had:

What would a wizard conspiracy theorist talk about?

I created a character profile, then realized I had literally created a passive aggressive Luna Lovegood.

---

Fun as that might be, I decided go with my earlier point of being, if not a villain, then at least an annoying character.

Name: Gregory Halover

House: TBD (He seems so Slytherinish, that I want to put him in anything but Slytherin to see what happens... Suggestions welcome)

Blood Status: Muggleborn, just to subvert the 'snobbish people are Purebloods' trope. I think I can pull it off.

Other: Considers himself better because of... well, just about everything, but will probably attempt to use the fact that he's older than most people and a Muggleborn and therefore 'special' to hold himself aloof. Antisocial mainly because he doesn't consider any other mere mortal worth his time.

The character who speaks at the end can be anybody, although it can just as easily be an NPC. Just a warning though - I intend to make my character as thoroughly obnoxious as I can possibly make him.

Also, a prompt for one of the things I put in the RP (enjoy):

CjbDcSM.gif

Edited by The Young Bard

Based on a thought I just had:

What would a wizard conspiracy theorist talk about?

I created a character profile, then realized I had literally created a passive aggressive Luna Lovegood.

---

Fun as that might be, I decided go with my earlier point of being, if not a villain, then at least an annoying character.

Name: Gregory Halover

House: TBD (He seems so Slytherinish, that I want to put him in anything but Slytherin to see what happens... Suggestions welcome)

Blood Status: Muggleborn, just to subvert the 'snobbish people are Purebloods' trope. I think I can pull it off.

Other: Considers himself better because of... well, just about everything, but will probably attempt to use the fact that he's older than most people and a Muggleborn and therefore 'special' to hold himself aloof. Antisocial mainly because he doesn't consider any other mere mortal worth his time.

The character who speaks at the end can be anybody, although it can just as easily be an NPC. Just a warning though - I intend to make my character as thoroughly obnoxious as I can possibly make him.

Also, a prompt for one of the things I put in the RP (enjoy):

CjbDcSM.gif

While I see your point in making him any other house, (He might work as a Ravenclaw) it could also be fun to see the way he interacts with Shannon as the only other muggleborn in the house. Something like this? :

"Welcome to Slytherin! Since I'm the only other muggleborn, I might be able to show you the ropes if you--"

"Oh good, you're here. I need your help looking down on these spoiled purebloods with me."

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused." 

While I see your point in making him any other house, (He might work as a Ravenclaw) it could also be fun to see the way he interacts with Shannon as the only other muggleborn in the house. Something like this? :

"Welcome to Slytherin! Since I'm the only other muggleborn, I might be able to show you the ropes if you--"

"Oh good, you're here. I need your help looking down on these spoiled purebloods with me."

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused."

I was going to vote for Gryffindor, just to subvert the canon "all Gryffindors are awesome except McLaggin, but he only existed for one book so whatevs" thing. :ph34r:

Edit: Though I could go for the Slytherin idea.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

My jumbled thoughts about this in the most coherent way I can manage:

But McLaggin was a little different in his haughtiness. The sorting hat isn't random, it does judge you by your personality. I voted Ravenclaw, because he might turn out to be an extremely talented magic user, which in turn would make him a bigger pain I guess. There's no way I could ever see him in Hufflepuff. Even though everyone says Hufflepuffs are loyal, I've always interpreted it as friendly. But in a lot of ways I guess Gryffindors and Slytherins have some similar attributes. So I haven't really reached any decision, really. I still think Slytherin sort of, because I could also see him being a bully to Lorelei, but I'm sort of just talking (typing) myself out of this. And I have no clue what I'm saying at this point. So don't mind me, I'm going back into my corner now.

My jumbled thoughts about this in the most coherent way I can manage:

But McLaggin was a little different in his haughtiness. The sorting hat isn't random, it does judge you by your personality. I voted Ravenclaw, because he might turn out to be an extremely talented magic user, which in turn would make him a bigger pain I guess. There's no way I could ever see him in Hufflepuff. Even though everyone says Hufflepuffs are loyal, I've always interpreted it as friendly. But in a lot of ways I guess Gryffindors and Slytherins have some similar attributes. So I haven't really reached any decision, really. I still think Slytherin sort of, because I could also see him being a bully to Lorelei, but I'm sort of just talking (typing) myself out of this. And I have no clue what I'm saying at this point. So don't mind me, I'm going back into my corner now.

No, but I can see him fitting into any of those three (Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Gryffindor). Here's my reasoning: 

Slytherin Pros: Haughty, "me first" attitude that fits with the Slytherin ideal of "me and mine first." 

Slytherin Cons: So far, he's only "me first." He would almost certainly look down on his Housemates, which would cause some interesting conflict, but would also conflict with the ideal of "me and mine first." The other Slytherins wouldn't be his; he'd be in it for himself. Say what you want about Slytherins, but they do prize loyalty. 

Ravenclaw Pros: He could get in by virtue of his skill alone. 

Ravenclaw Cons: Part of seeking truth is being willing to admit you're wrong. He doesn't strike me as someone who would admit that. Ever. 

Gryffindor Pros: Requesting the most popular House is a brave choice. Going to a magic school with only Muggle parents is a brave choice. Declaring your own skill to a school of magicians is a brave choice. He would make them all extremely chullish choices, but Gregory could see them as brave. The Hat does take your choice into account. 

Gryffindor Cons: Dear Merlin, they'd get sick of him fast. Plus, he doesn't seem like the chivalrous type….unless he uses it to make himself look better, like the fedora'd gentlemen of the Internet. 

I'm leaning towards Gregory being a Gryffindor at the moment, but I might change my mind.

What are we going to do if something we have is obviously non-canon after the Cursed Child is released? Are we going to try and reconcile the two, or will the Cursed Child not be counted in the canon for the sake of the RP?

Also, Honor, do you mind editing the OP with a link to the RP thread, and vice versa? It would help a lot.

I'll also make a list of students so far, categorised by year, for the sake of clarity. NPC's that exist in the HP universe are also included:

1st Years:

James Sirius Potter (Gryffindor) - NPC

Eleanor Peaks (Gryffindor) - Master Elodin

Chas End (Hufflepuff) - Chasmfiend

Elizabeth Allred (Ravenclaw) - Mistrunner

Lorelei Marchbanks (Slytherin) - Honor Spren

Jarrad Thomas (?) - Voidus

Gregory Halover (?) - Young Bard

2nd Years:

3rd Years:

David Andrews (Slytherin) - Nashan'Elin

4th Years:

Paloma Warren (Ravenclaw) - Honor Spren

5th Years:

Shannon Davies (Slytherin)* - TwiLyght

Michael (Ravenclaw) - Silverblade5

Victor Brzęczyszczykiewicz (Ravenclaw) - Mestiv

Nax Isaac-Oscar (?) - Venture

6th Years:

7th Years:

Teddy Lupin (Hufflepuff)** - NPC

Paintings:

Sir Higglesworth (Knight) - Voidus

Daniel (Chicken) - Voidus

3 witches (Ravenclaw Witches) - Voidus

Gilderoy Lockhart (Stuck up chullface) - Voidus

Drakus Blod (Vampire) - Voidus

Salamander (Salamander) - Voidus

Other:

Guide to Herbological Transfiguration (Book) - Voidus

??? (Suit of Armour) - Voidus

Great Hall-Dungeons Staircase (Staircase) - Voidus

* = Prefect

**= Head Boy/Girl

I might create a 6th year actually, just to fill out the ranks. I'll work on it now.

Edited by The Young Bard

Detailed. :wub: Me likey. So far as Cursed Child goes, I'll go along with whatever the decision is, but I don't have high hopes for the rest of Rowling's extra-canonical material. Cursed Child could be the most incredible thing ever, so I'm reserving judgment, but I'm not hopeful. 

Also, I am regretting having Shannon name her owl Bowie and not Hooty McOwlface after seeing that incredible name in a mental_floss article.  :mellow:

I'd like to note that I'm not so certain if Victor will end up in Ravenclaw. I'll have to do some more reading about the houses. Also, the Sorting Hat will take his preference into consideration, so it will depend a bit on how the conversation between him and Shannon goes :)

Name: Serena Lockheart
House: Ravenclaw
Year: 6th year prefect
Appearance: Medium size and build, long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, wears dark-rimmed glasses and a headband.
Wand: 8 1/2", elm with Dragon Heartstring core
Other: A distant relative of the famous author, Serena is from a rather more talented branch of the family, she is extremely studious and known to be very strict with those causing unnecessary noise in the Ravenclaw common room. She is particularly gifted with transfiguration and hopes to some day become a registered animagus, though she spends most of her times studying for DADA, her worst subject.