Hogwarts RP Discussion Thread

The Honor Spren

Maybe that could be the plot? The arrival of technology at Hogwarts? That could make for both wacky hijinks* and intriguing cultural clashes.

*My autocorrect thought I meant "bikinis." :mellow:

I think that should be an element in the plot, but I want this to be mainly about interactions between characters. Which makes the plot mostly unpredictable. :) But you know all about that, you're a roleplay queen. :ph34r:

I could be a muggle who snuck into hogwarts and is trying to give themselves magic.

I love this idea. Go for it. :D

Edited by The Honor Spren

I think that should be an element in the plot, but I want this to be mainly about interactions between characters. Which makes the plot mostly unpredictable. :) But you know all about that, you're a roleplay queen. :ph34r:

I love this idea. Go for it. :D

Ah, so the time honored style of "take a bunch of characters, toss them into an interesting open world, and see what happens." I approve. :ph34r:

What's the age bracket for Hogwarts students? Did you want us to use first years, or are other ages acceptable? I can do either one.

Ah, so the time honored style of "take a bunch of characters, toss them into an interesting open world, and see what happens." I approve. :ph34r:

What's the age bracket for Hogwarts students? Did you want us to use first years, or are other ages acceptable? I can do either one.

I'd humbly prefer to be a third year, if you guys don't mind.

Any year is fine. 

Since you volunteered as a Slytherin, could I make the humble request that one of your characters is a prefect?  :ph34r:

And you guys can start posting character descriptions now.

Lorelei Marchbanks

Year: 1st year

House: She was surprised to receive Slytherin

Blood Status: Halfblood

Appearance: Gray-green eyes, chestnut brown hair, pale skin.

Personality and interests: She's quiet around new people but talkative when she gets to know them. She likes to sing.

Paloma Warren

Year: 4th year

House: Ravenclaw

Blood Status: Blood Traitor

Appearance: Amber eyes and black hair. Her skin is a light tan.

Personality and interests: She would be that one person on the dance floor dancing alone with no shame. She loves flying and is the Ravenclaw keeper. 

Edited by The Honor Spren

Any year is fine. 

Since you volunteered as a Slytherin, could I make the humble request that one of your characters is a prefect?  :ph34r:

And you guys can start posting character descriptions now.

Lorelei Marchbanks

Year: 1st year

House: She was surprised to receive Slytherin

Blood Status: Halfblood

Appearance: Gray-green eyes, chestnut brown hair, pale skin.

Personality and interests: She's quiet around new people but talkative when she gets to know them. She likes to sing.

Paloma Warren

Year: 4th year

House: Ravenclaw

Blood Status: Blood Traitor

Appearance: Amber eyes and black hair. Her skin is a light tan.

Personality and interests: She would be that one person on the dance floor dancing alone with no shame. She loves flying and is the Ravenclaw keeper. 

A Slytherin prefect? If so, I could kill two birds with one curse and make my Muggleborn Slytherin a prefect. She popped into my head as a teenager full of attitude anyway. :ph34r: 

Eleanor Peak:

Year: First

House: Gryffindor, for obvious reasons

Blood Status: 100% muggle

Appearance: Navy eyes, short sandy hair and light-ish skin.

Personality: Cunning and clever but also very nice and friendly. She loves creating magical artifacts with the help of her friends, as they are pieces of magic that she can actually use. Currently making an improved broomstick.

Edited by Master_Elodin

Eleanor Peak:

Year: First

House: Gryffindor, for obvious reasons

Blood Status: 100% muggle

Appearance: Navy eyes, short sandy hair and light-ish skin.

Personality: Cunning and clever but also very nice and friendly. Stingy about showing off magic. She loves Quidditch as it is a magical sport that requires no magic. She is a Seeker, and one of the best since Harry Potter.

Would a Muggle even be able to fly a broom? :huh: 

Would a Muggle even be able to fly a broom? :huh:

Brooms definitely respond to magical commands, as evidenced by the fact that you can order them to come to your hand with the word "Up." It is a little foggier whether the mere act of flying one requires magical ability, as Harry's POV describes physically maneuvering the Nimbus 2000 with his hands and body in flight.

On the other hand, one of the things he noted about the Firebolt was how quickly it responded to any motion or inclination he gave it at all, which to me suggests that higher quality brooms may be entirely operated with magic but lower quality brooms can be flown just by physical steering.

Brooms definitely respond to magical commands, as evidenced by the fact that you can order them to come to your hand with the word "Up." It is a little foggier whether the mere act of flying one requires magical ability, as Harry's POV describes physically maneuvering the Nimbus 2000 with his hands and body in flight.

On the other hand, one of the things he noted about the Firebolt was how quickly it responded to any motion or inclination he gave it at all, which to me suggests that higher quality brooms may be entirely operated with magic but lower quality brooms can be flown just by physical steering.

Eh, given that casting spells still requires motion of the wand, I don't think that physical steering indicates any supernatural feet that can be acomplished without magic by itself.

Eh, given that casting spells still requires motion of the wand, I don't think that physical steering indicates any supernatural feet that can be acomplished without magic by itself.

Even if we were going by Kobold's theory (that lower-quality brooms respond to physical steering), she'd still be stuck playing Quidditch for Gryffindor with, at best, a school broom that's slow to respond and probably pulls annoyingly to the left. Since all of the Quidditch players we met in canon played with a Nimbus 2000 or better, I think she'd be safer sticking to clubs and extracurriculars that don't require magic. 

What do you think about introducing a stat system to this? It's not as if I'm an expert on (or even a huge proponent of) tabletop games, but it seems pertinent. All we'd probably need is a list of learned spells, and our proficiency with them, along with the basic proficiencies in the various magic schools.

I mean, I guess a free-form RPG is fine, but this is the kind of setting where outcomes are uncertain, so dice rolls and stats would be fitting.

(Oh, huh. Google reveals that there already is some sort of Harry Potter RPG in place. Well, actually learning it seems like a waste of time, so I'd still be up for designing something uncomplicated real quick)

What do you think about introducing a stat system to this? It's not as if I'm an expert on (or even a huge proponent of) tabletop games, but it seems pertinent. All we'd probably need is a list of learned spells, and our proficiency with them, along with the basic proficiencies in the various magic schools.

I mean, I guess a free-form RPG is fine, but this is the kind of setting where outcomes are uncertain, so dice rolls and stats would be fitting.

(Oh, huh. Google reveals that there already is some sort of Harry Potter RPG in place. Well, actually learning it seems like a waste of time, so I'd still be up for designing something uncomplicated real quick)

I think stats would probably only be relevant if there were a strong dueling component, which I don't know if there will be. 

I think stats would probably only be relevant if there were a strong dueling component, which I don't know if there will be. 

Well, but proficiencies are also pretty important in the wizarding world of Harry Potter, and that's what I'm getting at. Some people excel at transfiguration, others at potions, others at herbology, and so on, and it seemed as if there was a whole lot of variability in how effective spells and stuff were based on a person's skill and "power." In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a key element of the characterization. I'd imagine that by just going freeform we'd be losing that whole element, but maybe I'm visualizing it wrong.

Well, but proficiencies are also pretty important in the wizarding world of Harry Potter, and that's what I'm getting at. Some people excel at transfiguration, others at potions, others at herbology, and so on, and it seemed as if there was a whole lot of variability in how effective spells and stuff were based on a person's skill and "power." In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a key element of the characterization. I'd imagine that by just going freeform we'd be losing that whole element, but maybe I'm visualizing it wrong.

I don't know; you could say that the original series was freeform and that element wasn't lost. Just put more on the back burner so characterization and plot could take center stage. 

Why would she have to use a school broom? I don't think it would require magic to use any broom as nearly all magic is cast with intent, and I don't think any wizards have exhibited innate Investiture.

Edited by Master_Elodin

Why would she have to use a school broom?

Because if the better brooms are only usable by magic users and the lower-quality brooms can be used by anyone able to steer them, she'd probably be stuck with a school broom. Or a very, very low quality one. However, it seems to be that brooms only respond to commands from magic users (granted we have no canon evidence of this, but with all of the enchantments on them, it seems likely that only a witch or wizard would be capable of using one) then I don't think Quidditch would be the best extracurricular activity for the resident Muggle. 

I'm back.

I don't want to do stats. I'll just rely on you guys to not make your characters over-powered. 

Eh, if we don't have any in canon evidence that brooms don't work for muggles, I think it should be fine. You know what they say, "If they tell you to make it across without stepping on the squares, just pull out that ruler and make sure none of them are rectangles."

Besides, I don't think there are any extra curriculars that don't require magic.

By  artificery, do you mean spells cast on the broom to make it respond to anyone? Those might be a thing, right?  :huh:

I have always wondered what would happen if a muggleborn became a Slytherin.  :ph34r: It's a good rabbit hole to go down.

I'm back.

I don't want to do stats. I'll just rely on you guys to not make your characters over-powered. 

Eh, if we don't have any in canon evidence that brooms don't work for muggles, I think it should be fine. You know what they say, "If they tell you to make it across without stepping on the squares, just pull out that ruler and make sure none of them are rectangles."

Besides, I don't think there are any extra curriculars that don't require magic.

By  artificery, do you mean spells cast on the broom to make it respond to anyone? Those might be a thing, right?  :huh:

I have always wondered what would happen if a muggleborn became a Slytherin.  :ph34r: It's a good rabbit hole to go down.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm sure the broomstick could be improved.