Reckoners RP explanation

Zas678

So as I was looking over the newest news post, I got to thinking about how someone in the Reckonersverse would learn about all of this, and before I knew it, I had the beginning of a story. I know it's almost all exposition, but I had a good time writing it!

As he woke up, he couldn’t remember much. He remembered where he was- he had just crossed the border from Idaho, and he remembered there was somewhere he was going. Something important had happened to him. Something about his family? He couldn’t remember. All he knew was that he had an ache in his head, and a destination that he needed to get to.

Even if he couldn’t remember where it was.

But, he would accomplish nothing by staying in one spot. He slowly packed up the few belongings that were around him, unsure of what was his and what would be useful. The sleeping bag? Definitely useful. The backpack with food in it as well. And the raincoat and umbrella would be a necessity. This was Oregon after all.

As he started down the path, he saw a pair of figures in front of him. He worried for a moment that they were Epics, but that fear quickly subsided. It would be unlikely that two Epics, destroyers with unusual powers, would be walking on an obscure road. No, far more likely was the fact that they were fellow travelers. It would be wise to join them- groups were often safer than traveling alone. Before traveling with them, he wanted to know what kind of people they were. He moved to the side of the road and quickened his pace, striving to move stealthily.

As he drew nearer to them, he could hear their conversation, even if he couldn’t see them.

He heard a refined voice say “Did you hear What Happened in Portland?”

“Aye. I hear there be a turf war there. Three factions, each determined to win control of the city. Each with nasty Epics with powers more powerful than the last. Which one do you think will win?” This voice was a gruffer voice, with a bit of a Scottish accent.

“That’s a tough bet. People have told me that they favor the Dominion. They’ve got Corpsemaker, who can negate other Epics abilities and kill with nothing but a stare. “

The other man snorted. “What good is killing when you’re against a necromancer? The Empire of Light has Lightwards, who be building an army of zombie dionsaurs as we speak. Sure he’s got Doctor Funtimes who is constantly pulling pranks with his teleporting and his pinkness. But it’s hard to defeat someone who can raise the dead.”

“True. However, my money is on Altermind, who leads the Thoughttown. They are smart enough to know when to fight, and strong enough to hold there own when they need to.”

“Of course you would like them. They’re just your type. Cowardly, ineffective, intellectual snobs who would rather see the world burn than be wrong. Kind of like how Astoria is burning now.”

He glanced out of the thick foiliage, and spotted a glimpse of the men. The one with the gruff voice was shorter, had a beard, and seemed to be carrying… an ax? Perhaps he was a lumberjack of some sort. His companion with the more refined voice was taller, in a suit, and did seem to be rather nervous.

“Astoria is burning because the city’s ruler is absent, not because someone failed to act” the Suit said.

“By being absent, isn’t the ruler not acting by default? You’ve seen how many High Epics have moved in, trying to make a claim to the city!” Ax said.

“Not all are trying to lay waste. There is the Church of Singularity. I hear that they worship the savior zero, and for whatever reason, they despise how seven ate nine.”

“What? That’s hogwash. Unless there’s some new number Epics I haven’t heard about, how can numbers eat each other?”

“I don’t know. I’m not the one who worships them. Or despises them, for that matter.”

“You’d worship anything if it would save your hide. That’s why you’re heading to The Dalles.”

At this comment, Suit looked slightly offended.

“I don’t know what you mean by that comment!”

“What I mean is that The Dalles is the only major community around that’s under the control of normal people. If there be any such thing. You don’t want some Epic bossing you around, telling which way to breathe, which way to eat, which way to live. So you’re moving to The Dalles. Sure they’ve got a bureaucracy, and some Epics help run the city, but there, you’ve got a person telling you what to do instead of some Sparking Epic.”

“I suppose that’s true. I just can’t understand why you would choose to go to Salem. It’s almost as bad as Corvallis.”

“Now there, be kind. Salem is a wonderful place for those with a little initiative. There’s these gladiator battles, see, that epics have against each other in this Astral plane that the city sponsors. The ruler doesn’t do much, and that has some people edgy. It’s a good place for a man with an ax to grind. ” Ax smirked at his play on words.

“So why not Corvallis?”

“Corvallis is good if you are into politics. I’ve heard that Euphoria’s also gone missing, and that’s got the people in a panic without her giving them the happies all the time. That’s not to mention the series of attacks from monstrous beings granted from some Epic. Sure it’s got good goods growing on plants and a forcefield to protect from attack, but I’m not one for mystery.”

“I would’ve never imagined” Suit said dryly.

The man sneaking through the foliage on the side had heard enough. These men were no harm to him. He was not to travel with them, but they would do him no harm. He slowly backed away from the pair, going through the forest itself. As he left, he could hear Ax continuing to talk.

“And the politics in Corvallis! Ugh, it would drive me nuts. Why the last time I looked at politics was-“

He heard a snap to the side of him. He quickly dove behind a fallen log and glanced over it. He could see someone- someone traveling through the air. An Epic. The man quickly ducked back behind the log again. The Epic moved to the path, and there was an electric sort of twang as the Epic let loose.

The man behind the log shuttered. There were plenty of Epics around that roamed free of towns, laying waste to anyone in their paths. It seems the travelers had attracted one of them with their banter. It was a good thing that he had heard the twigs snap to the side of him.

Wait. The Epic was flying- how had he heard the twig snap? He looked over the log, cautiously again. No, he didn’t see a path that the Epic had taken, or any branches that he would’ve snapped higher up. Perhaps it was an animal that alerted him to the presence.

Whatever caused the sound, he knew he had to keep moving. He traveled forward, more cautious this time. For even the slightest sound could attract an Epic.