Confused

Call Me “Grandpa”

9 posts in this topic

I’ve been a moderately active member of the 17th Shard for a tad more than two years. I’m finally ready to unveil myself.

Yes, it’s true: I’m old enough to be almost everyone’s father here and the grandfather of many of you. That’s why I’m “Confused.” It’s also why I find our conversations so interesting. I feel like I’m arguing with my kids...I met my wife in 1974 and we’re still together – fairly remarkable in this day and age.

I’ve already disclosed I’m a University of Michigan alum (“Go Blue!”), but I graduated more than 40 years ago. You can probably tell I was a lit major. I like to reference books of the Western canon.

I’ve been reading fantasy novels since I was a kid, starting with Jules Verne in grade school. In 8th grade, I would prop a book up in class like I was paying attention, but was secretly reading Lord of the Rings instead.

As a fantasy storyteller, Brandon has few peers. I’ve read everything but the “young adult” books. My personal favorites are The Emperor’s Soul and The Way of Kings. I fear I won’t live long enough to see the Cosmere story play itself out; hence, my interest in speculation.

Besides raising a family and building a career, I used to climb 14,000 foot mountains (with ice axe, crampons and rope) and still enjoy exercise and a game of chess. As we continue our debates, please remember you’re dealing with a curmudgeonly old codger. It’ll help…

Regards all!

Edited by Confused

Hello! 

I…don't debate much. I think we run in different circles—I'm the GM over in the Reckoners RP, where many Sharders fear to tread. So our debates tend to be more….odd. It's a place where "Could a necromancer and a matter manipulator beat a gifting healer with enhanced strength and above-average creepiness in a street fight?" is a serious question worth exploring. 

For all our sake, TwiLyght, I hope they can.

hello. hows it going. I now wish you never revealed your age.

I now have to restrain myself from saying, 'old timer'.

Anyway. Way of Kings is my favourite book too!

Welcome to the Shard and heres a welcome cookie!

Hello! 

I…don't debate much. I think we run in different circles—I'm the GM over in the Reckoners RP, where many Sharders fear to tread. So our debates tend to be more….odd. It's a place where "Could a necromancer and a matter manipulator beat a gifting healer with enhanced strength and above-average creepiness in a street fight?" is a serious question worth exploring. 

What unit do you measure creepiness in?

Hi Confused! I think I've seen you around a few places. Fun fact, I never made an introductory thread for myself and I think at my current postcount it would be rather obnoxious of me to do so. But hii!

What unit do you measure creepiness in?

Morzathoths 51956uth.gif

More seriously though, probably like Poe's or something.

and anything Poe immediately takes me to Poe Dameron. :ph34r:

Here's my question: from your point of view, is Hoid old or young?