Call Me “Grandpa”

Confused

I’ve been a moderately active member of the 17th Shard for a tad more than two years. I’m finally ready to unveil myself.

Yes, it’s true: I’m old enough to be almost everyone’s father here and the grandfather of many of you. That’s why I’m “Confused.” It’s also why I find our conversations so interesting. I feel like I’m arguing with my kids...I met my wife in 1974 and we’re still together – fairly remarkable in this day and age.

I’ve already disclosed I’m a University of Michigan alum (“Go Blue!”), but I graduated more than 40 years ago. You can probably tell I was a lit major. I like to reference books of the Western canon.

I’ve been reading fantasy novels since I was a kid, starting with Jules Verne in grade school. In 8th grade, I would prop a book up in class like I was paying attention, but was secretly reading Lord of the Rings instead.

As a fantasy storyteller, Brandon has few peers. I’ve read everything but the “young adult” books. My personal favorites are The Emperor’s Soul and The Way of Kings. I fear I won’t live long enough to see the Cosmere story play itself out; hence, my interest in speculation.

Besides raising a family and building a career, I used to climb 14,000 foot mountains (with ice axe, crampons and rope) and still enjoy exercise and a game of chess. As we continue our debates, please remember you’re dealing with a curmudgeonly old codger. It’ll help…

Regards all!

Edited by Confused

Hello! 

I…don't debate much. I think we run in different circles—I'm the GM over in the Reckoners RP, where many Sharders fear to tread. So our debates tend to be more….odd. It's a place where "Could a necromancer and a matter manipulator beat a gifting healer with enhanced strength and above-average creepiness in a street fight?" is a serious question worth exploring. 

Hello! 

I…don't debate much. I think we run in different circles—I'm the GM over in the Reckoners RP, where many Sharders fear to tread. So our debates tend to be more….odd. It's a place where "Could a necromancer and a matter manipulator beat a gifting healer with enhanced strength and above-average creepiness in a street fight?" is a serious question worth exploring. 

What unit do you measure creepiness in?

Hi Confused! I think I've seen you around a few places. Fun fact, I never made an introductory thread for myself and I think at my current postcount it would be rather obnoxious of me to do so. But hii!