[Bands Spoilers] Hemalurgy

Stormgate

I've thought about that too. They might have a few select people who have gotten the spikes required to make a few of the multi-metalminds. However, they don't have many metalborn, and those that are metalborn are treated as royalty. It seems odd to consider them butchering their own royalty. That said, I agree, the Sovereign probably taught a few of them about Hemalurgy.

Don't tell me what to think!

But I thought about it anyways. Of my own free will and volition, not because you told me to. Where do you think the Hemalurgic spikes came from? Did Sovereign kill Allomancers from the north to give their powers to the south? Would old Inquisitor spikes hold enough of a charge, or have the requisite abilities (would there be a reason for an Inquisitor to have a F.Aluminum spike)?

While the first SoScad Metalborn might have come from spikes, I think they would have passed down their newly acquired powers to their descendants, so Alloy-era Metalborn wouldn't have spikes. See the following quote: (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1078#10)

Q: If you have a series of iniquisitors, like a family of inquisitors having children for generations over...

A: Would the Hemalurgy influence the sdna of the children? Is that what you are asking? That is a hypothesis that has merit in the way the magic system works (grin). It is not a supposition to be discarded out of hand.

Not a confirmation, but better than a RAFO. The Sovereign could have given them old Inquisitor spikes, which didn't give powerful abilities, but successive generations would have had an increasing number of Metalborn.

I've suspected that the SoScads utilized Hemalurgy, as well, but I was taking a different approach. When Allik mentioned "Excisors," I thought it would be an appropriate name for a Hemalurgic spike, and he says that they need the Excisors to create the medallions (as well as enough Metalborn). My theory was that the medallions couldn't be used to Compound and fill other medallions (either because too many different powers are required to fit into a medallion [F.Brass, A.Brass, F.Identity, A.Nicrosil, and F.Nicrosil were all involved in a proposed mechanism, IIRC], or because powers from the Medallions didn't align correctly to pull off the Compounding hack), so they needed to use Hemalurgy to give one person the ability to Compound and fill a lot of medallions. These spikes might have been acquired the methods that Spook was considering - spiking a near-death Allomancer or Feruchemist to pass on the power.

That long tangent aside, I'm just saying that I do agree that the SoScads have Hemalurgy, and they have their own name for it - Excisors.

Don't tell me what to think!

But I thought about it anyways. Of my own free will and volition, not because you told me to. Where do you think the Hemalurgic spikes came from? Did Sovereign kill Allomancers from the north to give their powers to the south? Would old Inquisitor spikes hold enough of a charge, or have the requisite abilities (would there be a reason for an Inquisitor to have a F.Aluminum spike)?

While the first SoScad Metalborn might have come from spikes, I think they would have passed down their newly acquired powers to their descendants, so Alloy-era Metalborn wouldn't have spikes. See the following quote: (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1078#10)

Not a confirmation, but better than a RAFO. The Sovereign could have given them old Inquisitor spikes, which didn't give powerful abilities, but successive generations would have had an increasing number of Metalborn.

I've suspected that the SoScads utilized Hemalurgy, as well, but I was taking a different approach. When Allik mentioned "Excisors," I thought it would be an appropriate name for a Hemalurgic spike, and he says that they need the Excisors to create the medallions (as well as enough Metalborn). My theory was that the medallions couldn't be used to Compound and fill other medallions (either because too many different powers are required to fit into a medallion [F.Brass, A.Brass, F.Identity, A.Nicrosil, and F.Nicrosil were all involved in a proposed mechanism, IIRC], or because powers from the Medallions didn't align correctly to pull off the Compounding hack), so they needed to use Hemalurgy to give one person the ability to Compound and fill a lot of medallions. These spikes might have been acquired the methods that Spook was considering - spiking a near-death Allomancer or Feruchemist to pass on the power.

That long tangent aside, I'm just saying that I do agree that the SoScads have Hemalurgy, and they have their own name for it - Excisors.

Maybe the Excisors are what they use in their culture... Spook mentions that someone using Hemalurgy could take away the powers of an old or sick person and pass it on to keep the power in fold, this could be what the Excisors are actually used for so that the Southerners don't lose valuable powers. I wouldn't call it..."good", though it might be possible to use an alternative Hemalurgic technique to make it less...disturbing and merciful, perhaps. Keeping the powers in the population, especially when it is still generally rare for SoScads to be born with the right sDNA would be a valuable asset. It might mean that you could make the argument that in this situation, using Hemalurgy is a necessary evil that keeps their people alive because spikes/Excisors let them pass down powers without having to rely on getting lucky with sDNA and genetics.

Now, let me clean my hands, I feel like a terrible person for even suggesting this...-.-

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

• Chaos locked this topic