Hoid Needed A Boat

18th Shard

Nazh and Khriss we standing on the Cognitive equivalent of water (a lake), which Kelsier remarks to be like rock, whereas the Cognitive equivalent of ground is like mists. So Hoid needed a boat because he was going where there was ground.

I also think part of it may be because the Well was underground. That is how I interpret Hoid's use of subastral, as analogous to subterranean. I suspect that at ground level there is less danger of falling through, or at least more chance to catch yourself.

Destroying the pits, O scarred one. That was the only perpendicularity on this planet with any reasonable ease of access. This one is very dangerous, growing more so by the minute, and difficult to find.

Yeah, it's dangerous to use because Ruin is there. But it's also hard to get to; why is that, since it's not that different from the Pits? Both were underground.

Well NOW, there isn't even a Well to hop to.

Secret History is over three hundred years in the past and that's when Hoid rode in on spanky. Pits were destroyed before thst, and he would have used the Pits before they were gone. There is atium there. That is literally the subject matter you kinda helped start :ph34r:

Here be quote in quote form

Dalenthas (15 October 2008)
Does the Well of Ascension still exist in the new world? Or is it no longer necessary? I assumed that Preservation collected there like Ruin collects in the Pits of Hathsin, so if Atium keeps forming then the well should keep filling...

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)
The Well (and the small wells in the Pits) is no more. For now at least.
(source)

Yeah, but Khriss and Nazh were on the lake outside of Luthadel. Wouldn't they have needed to cross the real-world ground to get out of Scadrial's Cognitive Realm?

they probably follow the canals to the ocean. Then simply walk off Scadrial. Edited by LordOfMortals

I also think part of it may be because the Well was underground. That is how I interpret Hoid's use of subastral, as analogous to subterranean. I suspect that at ground level there is less danger of falling through, or at least more chance to catch yourself.

IMHO the term subastral meaning literally terestrial or (below the stars) refers to each planets individual versions of the cognitive realm.