2016 Writing Excuses Retreat and Cruise

Mandamon

Hey folks--if you're not aware, registration for the 2016 cruise is open!

And, if you don't think you can spend that much money, there are four scholarships available, partially funded by alumni from previous retreats.  The scholarships close March 15, so get submitting!  Winners will be announced in May.

From personal experience, this cruise is incredible.  I went on the one in 2015, with my wife.  Obviously, I write SF/Fan, but she writes primarily chick lit.  She got just as much out of the retreat as I did.  I only wrote about 500 words while on the cruise, but I met about 100 other writers, many of whom I am still in contact with.  I got a bunch of advice on writing, publishing, and general self-confidence.  The instructors (not just the WX podcast crew) were very available, and helpful.  This year they have even more instructors, some of whom are editors and agents.

Oh yeah, and you'll be on a cruise in the Caribbean.  With some of your favorite authors.

Take this opportunity if you can!

I definitely agree with everything Mandamon said. The cruise is an excellent opportunity - and an awesome time. I was a little uneasy because I was going alone, but I met a lot of great folks (including Mandamon and his wife). The instructors are all great too, and you get to spend a lot of time with both the instructors and the WX crew. Even now, almost six months later, I still find myself remembering something or someone from the cruise. It's a very inspiring and awesome time and I definitely recommend it to anyone who has the means to go - and if you don't, be sure to check the scholarships. Mandamon is being too modest - he and his wife played a big role in doubling the scholarships offered this time around! 

I'm jealous, but glad to see that the two of you seem to have made the most of your time there.

The retreat itself is something I'd love to attend, but a week on open water surrounded by hungry sharks? I just don't think I have it in me.

The retreat itself is something I'd love to attend, but a week on open water surrounded by hungry sharks? I just don't think I have it in me.

Lol - you and me both, Shrike, but damnation the sharks, what about the icebergs, stray shipping containers, general seaborne wreckage, Russian submarines, etc. Urgh.

[seriously though, does sound good. I also envious.]

Edited by Robinski

The sharks are quite friendly!  As are the manta rays, dolphins, and turtles...  (and no icebergs in the Caribbean, Robinski, unless climate change is worse than I thought).

Seriously though, if you have any worries about being on a giant boat, I would try it out if you can.  It's basically 15-deck luxury resort.  You can't feel the ocean at all for the most part.  I felt the ship moving only a couple times, mainly if I sat on the floor on one of the bottom decks.  Aside from that--floating luxury resort where every day you wake up to a different place and people.

There is also $500 in travel expenses included in the scholarship, which helps a lot with plane tickets.

I have been on a cruise, not in such a massive vessel, but a liner nonetheless, crossing the Channel from Dover to Le Havre to Guernsey and back. Pleasant enough, but the homeward leg was rough as ----.

I'd like to try a retreat sometime, but I'll probably start on dry land. Does Wx still do those ones?

I think they've transitioned over to the cruise, since that way Mary doesn't have to host folks in her parent's house, and they can have 100+ people rather than 20 or 30.

Keep an eye out for the 2017 location.  If the rumblings I hear are correct, if may be nearer to your side of the pond!

I'd love to participate, but the idea of going alone deters me. Social anxiety ain't no joke, but neither is the cost of single occupancy.

Just think..."What would Baxter do?" - he's a writer after all!

(Seriously though, fair comment.)

Edited by Robinski

I'd love to participate, but the idea of going alone deters me. Social anxiety ain't no joke, but neither is the cost of single occupancy.

If it helps any, most of the other attendees are of like mind, so your roommate would likely be just as anxious!

rdpulfer went alone last year--how was your roommate experience?

Just think..."What would Baxter do?" - he's a writer after all!

HA! That's debatable, and highly dependent on what condition his condition is in. Regardless, if he went there'd be snark and an obscene bar tab.  :lol:

Edited by Marci

If it helps any, most of the other attendees are of like mind, so your roommate would likely be just as anxious!

rdpulfer went alone last year--how was your roommate experience?

I actually paid for single occupancy :) However, I know a lot of people who had roommates and I honestly didn't hear of many issues - everyone I talked to got along with their roommates. They give people a chance to interact with potential roommates via e-mail and Google group and ensure there are no issues. 

If you can afford single occupancy, I'd actually recommend it - not because of roommates - but because sometimes I was wiped out after a long excursion or a breakout group. It was really helpful to just be able to go back to your room and crash if needed. 

Edited by rdpulfer

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, guys. Kinda freaking out, here. The husband has given his blessing. All I need do is work up the courage to book my trip... 

And get a passport. Sigh. Navigating a post-9/11 world is a pain in the tail. The last time I took a cruise (the Disney Magic's maiden voyage, back in '99), a passport wasn't required. Technically, that's the last time I've left the contiguous 48. I mean, this kid's never even been west of the Mississippi! /o\

What would Baxter do, what would Baxter do, what would Baxter do?

Edited by Marci

Lol. I think the authorities would be only too pleased to assist Baxter leaving the country! I'm sure the passport wouldn't be an issue. I suspect it's easier gettin out of the U.S. than getting in (having done that several times).

​It's actually not that bad, getting in and out of the US if you go through airports. Especially getting in; I've literally walked through customs without having to talk to anyone except one guy who looked at the passport and was like, welcome back. I would assume ship-ports while in a group of cruise people would be even easier. When I was backpacking Asia with a group/guide getting through borders was a piece of cake. I literally walked into Vietnam from Cambodia. Getting on and off a cruise ship should be easy peasy.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning it's like getting into Albania or anything.

Non-Yanks (like me) now need an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) form completed before we travel in order to enter the U.S. I'm planning a trip later in the year.

Edited by Robinski

Yeah, I wasn't meaning it's like getting into Albania or anything.

Non-Yanks (like me) now need an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) form completed before we travel in order to enter the U.S. I'm planning a trip later in the year.

Oh! No I'm sorry, I was responding to Marci's concerns and didn't even THINK my comments could have been applied to your own. My bad! I should have at least partially quoted her or included her name. My apologies for the confusion!

Okay, guys. Kinda freaking out, here. The husband has given his blessing. All I need do is work up the courage to book my trip... 

And get a passport. Sigh. Navigating a post-9/11 world is a pain in the tail. The last time I took a cruise (the Disney Magic's maiden voyage, back in '99), a passport wasn't required. Technically, that's the last time I've left the contiguous 48. I mean, this kid's never even been west of the Mississippi! /o\

What would Baxter do, what would Baxter do, what would Baxter do?

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you there!  (and Baxter...)

Passports are really easy.  Just start them early (like now).  Using them on the cruise is more a formality than anything.  You'll have to show them to get back on the ship from the various islands, but that's all.  Just keep it with you.  Last year we all got handy lanyards with pouches so we didn't lose any important documents.

Also, once you book there's a handy google group for the cruise-goers.  Should be able to answer any planning questions you have.  Last year there was also some block hotel rooms available for booking the night before.

Phew! I feel better about the passport thing already. I'm stopping by the post office this afternoon to pick up the forms.

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you there!  (and Baxter...)

Passports are really easy.  Just start them early (like now).  Using them on the cruise is more a formality than anything.  You'll have to show them to get back on the ship from the various islands, but that's all.  Just keep it with you.  Last year we all got handy lanyards with pouches so we didn't lose any important documents.

Also, once you book there's a handy google group for the cruise-goers.  Should be able to answer any planning questions you have.  Last year there was also some block hotel rooms available for booking the night before.

Thanks, Mandamon! I wondered about getting a room/transportation once in FL. Flying out of FWA usually involves turboprops, overbooking, delays, or cancellations, so I'd definitely want to start traveling at least a day early.