Hemalurgic spike in WoR?

Bugsy

Yes as Jondesu said, they may tried to kill her through Hemalurgy (but i don't think) stealing something like Human Strenght or something like they know what kind of metal are needed.

A victim of Hemalurgy often dies by the Soul-ripping effect, and they maybe tried to uses in an usefull way to the assassination.

If Jasnah doesn't die on the spot, she may uses the Stormlight to heal the soul damage and everbody is fine.

Now, this is a possible theory, but I find really unlikely.

I have seen somewhere here about the idea that Jasnah was constantly healing herself as she was damaged with the knife using Stormlight, which heals body and soul. As a result it could be possible to hemalurgicly spike someone as they constantly heal both the stolen soul aspect and the physical damage.

Perhaps she was spiked, but we have no idea what effect this would have on someone with totally different powers to those native to Scadrial. 

Another question might be what does someone being constantly healed while being spiked go through? From that WoB it sounds like someone that survives being spiked might still be in really rough condition.

Post WoR Reading

In much worse shape than Jasnah appears to be in in the post WoR reading and at the end of WoR. But maybe Stormlight can really heal that quickly.

Another possible problem with a spike attempt is:

“Your mission in Amydlatn,” Shallan whispered. “It was to assassinate Jasnah Kholin.”

“Run the operation, at least,” Tyn said, distracted. “Would have gone myself, but can’t stand ships. Those churning seas turn my stomach inside out. . . .”

which suggests the Ghostbloods were not directly involved. On the other hand, hiring Tyn could have been to give them a cover if things went wrong and they could have had an inside man on her team. But it seemed like to me that they were more interested in Jasnah's information and the reason they tried to assassinate her was because she was doing the same to them, not because they saw her as a truly serious threat.

Edited by Argel

My thought?

A worldhopper tried to do hemalurgy but didn't understand the nature of the spren thus just "killing" her.

On the flip side if the hemalurgy worked what metal would they have to use to take her power. and wouldn't there have to be someone there to have the spike driven into them? Or maybe on Roshar the rules are different?

thoughts?

One problem with it being a spike attempt is what about the other assassins? Are they all in on it? That's not the kind of thing you would want to chance revealing to other assassins. Also, how many people knew Jasnah had a power worth stealing consider how she went to great lengths to cover it up? There are a lot of factions that wanted her dead for other reasons, such as the Ghostbloods who contracted the hit out and the Sons of Honor. For that matter, is Jasnah mentioned in the Diagram? It could just be exactly what it appears to be.

Post WoR Reading

By the way, do we know what a spike looks like in the cognitive realm? If it would stand out, then Jasnah should have seen it the post WoR reading.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have read WoR like 10 times now and I never picked up on this even though I have combed through pretty thoroughly for things just like this. I am picking up a signed/personalized copy of Alloy of Law to complete my Mistborn collection I guess I know what I am asking about now! Excellent catch!

After what seemed like forever, I finally got my signed copy in. Honestly, I was a little surprised by the answer... Alas...

Question:

IMG_0157_zpsvyi1onax.jpg

Answer:

IMG_0158_zps4g9uoamw.jpg

I honestly thought this one would get an answer one way or the other, then again Brandon may have RAFO'd it simply to keep us guessing...

Edit: Photobucket flipped the images... weird.

Edited by Iron Eyes

I personally think that an attempt to make a Hemalurgic spike from a spren-bonded human would require a VERY precise Spiritual sight.  Why?  You'd have to spike the Spiritual location of where the bond is for it to be stolen, is my thought.  The epigraphs about the Nahel bond itself sort of suggest ("bond's placement") that each one is in a different Spiritual and/or Cognitive spot based on the spren bonding you.

The other point about Intent is also the one I agree with; they were just trying to kill her, not become like her.

After what seemed like forever, I finally got my signed copy in. Honestly, I was a little surprised by the answer... Alas...

Question:

IMG_0157_zpsvyi1onax.jpg

Answer:

IMG_0157_zpsvyi1onax.jpg

I honestly thought this one would get an answer one way or the other, then again Brandon may have RAFO'd it simply to keep us guessing...

Edit: Photobucket flipped the images... weird.

Are those the same two images? I can't find answer.

From the deleted Tor chapter about Jasnah's escape (posted in one of comments above) it seems clear that the attackers left the knife in her body (she could still feel it), which means they couldn't have been stealing something from her. In addition, if the attackers had given it to her so she could gain an attribute and be more easily influenced by... something (Harmony not present), it ultimately would have failed as epilogue Jasnah does not still have knife sticking out of her chest.

Are those the same two images? I can't find answer.

They were indeed. I have corrected the images. The answer was RAFO, I've been running cold lately with answers, I got like 4 or 5 answered in a row that I had expected to be RAFO'd, but my last 3 all got RAFO'd... Oh well...

I personally think that an attempt to make a Hemalurgic spike from a spren-bonded human would require a VERY precise Spiritual sight. Why? You'd have to spike the Spiritual location of where the bond is for it to be stolen, is my thought. The epigraphs about the Nahel bond itself sort of suggest ("bond's placement") that each one is in a different Spiritual and/or Cognitive spot based on the spren bonding you.

The other point about Intent is also the one I agree with; they were just trying to kill her, not become like her.

Well you don't have to take the magic powers when you spike someone . . .

You've said you're doing a reread, so I'm going to assume that I won't be spoiling something by saying that Jasnah survived.

If you haven't read the Jasnah story on Tor that takes place after WoR, I would recommend reading that as well. It's not officially canon yet, but Brandon is treating it as a rough draft and has read it at multiple book signings, so I think I can assume that at least the main events of the story happened in a very similar way to how they will be portrayed in their final draft.

So Jasnah is alive. Hemalurgy doesn't have to kill you, but it usually does. Having a spike made from you and surviving is supposedly horrible, I believe brandon has described it as like being a drab, but much, much worse. But even if we assume that we would not be able to tell if Jasnah had one or both of her surges taken from her, in some way, by looking at her appearance and behavior in the WoR epilogue, we see in the Tor exerpt Jasnah using the Transportation Surge to get to Shadesmar (and presumably use it again to get back out), and then later use the Transformation surge to soulcast the ropes. She also communicates with Ivory, so we know that she could not have had her Nahel bond or her Surgebinding abilities taken from her through a Spiking.

That rope was dangerously close to a stick.

• Chaos locked this topic