shinigamisid

Do all kinds of Investitures follow the Balance? The Breath Investiture from Warbreaker is a little sketchy. If someone dies, their Breath dies with them. So, when someone is born, where does their Breath come from?

What happen also to the other part of his Soul (that is also made by Investiture), it's return to the source....In this case Endowment.

I don't know if you read other Cosmere books but this is the "standard cycle of Investiture" (if i can call it in that way)

Stroniax
Is there a way to harvest BioChromatic Breath from a planet, if it holds any? (If a person dies, and their body turns to dusty he dust of the earth, then doesn't the earth--or sharever planet they have--therefore hold thousands, if not millions, of BioChromatic Breaths?)
Brandon Sanderson
Possible. It would be the same thing as harvesting the nature of Preservation or Ruin, which--on Scadrial--took the form of nuggets of metal.

Anyway, if Investiture in the human soul (Preservation and Ruin on Scadrial, Endowments on Nalthis in the form of Breaths) comes from the Shard it means that the Shard would be ultimately drained of Investiture (even if Breaths of the dead are somehow recycled and I see no reason they are) because growing population means that there are more and more of humans to supply with Investiture.

It would mean that with every new human born Preservation got weaker but this is not the case - Preservation did expend Investiture once to create humans but after that humans gained pieces of Ruin and Preservation from somewhere else (my theory is that from background Investiture converted by Shard's influence on the planet).

Odium wouldn't have to fight directly with Shards, he would just have to wait peacefully as human population grows bigger the Shards would starve themselves to death. That is not the case.

Anyway, if Investiture in the human soul (Preservation and Ruin on Scadrial, Endowments on Nalthis in the form of Breaths) comes from the Shard it means that the Shard would be ultimately drained of Investiture (even if Breaths of the dead are somehow recycled and I see no reason they are) because growing population means that there are more and more of humans to supply with Investiture.

It would mean that with every new human born Preservation got weaker but this is not the case - Preservation did expend Investiture once to create humans but after that humans gained pieces of Ruin and Preservation from somewhere else (my theory is that from background Investiture converted by Shard's influence on the planet).

Odium wouldn't have to fight directly with Shards, he would just have to wait peacefully as human population grows bigger the Shards would starve themselves to death. That is not the case.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks, Kinght Theoretic.

Or maybe Preservation and Ruin put some amount of Investiture and the living population is limited to that amout avaliable for soul.

Something like the Pits of Hatsin that keep an amount of Investiture away and use for the soul's cycle.

I agree with you, but would like to add that just because Odium doesn't have to fight Shards wouldn't necessarily stop him from wanting to and from being driven to by his Intent. Watching people die from something else can be hate-filled but it seems less so than attacking them

• Chaos locked this topic