San Antonio questions (round 2)

Paladin Brewer

Round 2 questions!

Is Threnody in the same planetary system as Sel?

Yes it is.

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHATTTTTTTT

HOWWWW did he not RAFO this???

Is the Investiture that trapped the Shades in the Cognitive Realm yet another mainfestation of region-locked magic? Did the Shades arise as a side effect of the Investiture raging through the Cognitive Realm in Sel? Are the Shades the leftover remnants of cognition of the former Elantrians prior to the chasm, or are they the leftover remnants of the Dakhor victims, or are they something else entirely?

So many theories...

*explodes*

Paladin Brewer, the superstar of the Calamity tour (so far)! Sel and Threnody being in the same system is definitely the highlight of this round. I will need to start going to neighboring states in future tours to get enough cred to combat this swarm of questions :)

I asked a related question:

How close are all of the shard worlds in space?

(Not verbatum) The cosmere takes place in a dwarf galaxy and all the worlds are close together.

Close as in say 10 light-years?

More like 50. He went on to say that Peter has some harder numbers and that it might have to change a little.

I asked a related question:

How close are all of the shard worlds in space?

(Not verbatum) The cosmere takes place in a dwarf galaxy and all the worlds are close together.

Close as in say 10 light-years?

More like 50. He went on to say that Peter has some harder numbers and that it might have to change a little.

Last year, Peter already revealed that the Shardworlds are all in a "rather small star cluster" within the (dwarf) galaxy, but it's cool to get an approximate size.

Edited by skaa

I'm curious to know what Peter's educational background is since he seems to be the physicist in the group.

I recall reading that he took a minor in astronomy purely for the sake of being better able to do science fiction.

Round 2 questions!

Yes it is.

For this answer alone, you have earned my upvote. Now of course the next question is whether or not he was confusing "planetary system" with "solar system." Because the former is unprecedented while the latter has Ashyn as a model.

Round 2 questions!
Yes it is.

My question got asked! And it's not a RAFO! Thank you! \\ :D // *victory dance*

@DSC01 - In one of threads (Threnody was a Shard, I think?*) there begun a speculation that Threnodians are runaways from Sel and hence Threnodian Homeland was Sel. Somebody was making a good point about Simple Rules basically prohibiting Aon drawing, Bloodsealing and ChayShan, which is why, when Paladin Brewer said he's going to ask more question, I figured, hey, why not try? I initially wanted to ask if it's a moon of Sel, but I figured this one was sure to get a RAFO.

"Planetary system" implies that it's either a planet circling the same sun as Sel or it's indeed Sel's moon - or a moon of some other planet in Selan (greater Sel?) system. At any rate, this certainly supports the theory of Sel being Homeland. Maybe Elantris 2 will shine some light on this? 

-----------------

* EDIT: regarding the crossed-out thing: it was Zmann966 who came up with this in "Calamity Tour - Denver" thread:

​Strike no fire. Shed no blood. Move not quickly.

Do not create light. Do not spill blood. Don't move with intent.

Do not create glowing Aons. Do not Bloodseal. Do not practice ChayShan.

To the broken and listing shadows of minds in the Shades, these seemingly simple rules could (with a stretch and a squint) look like the Old Arts of Sel.

Edited by Rasarr

Perhaps because I haven't read the Threnody novella yet, I don't understand why this is a big deal. :) I thought some of my other questions were more interesting, like why Sanderson got so excited about the potential for Aluminum being around the shardblades, or what sounds like another shard holder being able to limit Harmony's knowledge. Those are more exciting to me :D

I recall reading that he took a minor in astronomy purely for the sake of being better able to do science fiction.

I honestly don't know anything about Peter himself beyond being an assistant. I didn't know that he also writes--if he did that or still does. The author who got me into hard sci-fi had a PhD in Astrophysics so good on Peter.

Round 2 questions!

If a Shard's Vessel dies and drops a body and two people step in to take up the power, what would happen?
RAFO

My first RAFO (((-:

Thank you for asking this question.  I'd preferred to have an answer, but I treat this particular RAFO as "this is very relevant to the story I am trying to tell" RAFO, and so, this is also a good piece of info.

All the other questions are great as well, and heck - Threnody being in the same system as Sel - as everyone is mentioning - is a big deal.

EDIT: to continue this line of questioning I think a straightforward question of the form "Are subIntents of the Intents of existing Shards possible?", or "Is it possible to split a single Shard into two or more so that each subShard has a separate Intent that is part of the Intent of the original Shard?" can be asked.

Edited by emailanimal

My question got asked! And it's not a RAFO! Thank you! \\ :D // *victory dance*

@DSC01 - In one of threads (Threnody was a Shard, I think?*) there begun a speculation that Threnodians are runaways from Sel and hence Threnodian Homeland was Sel. Somebody was making a good point about Simple Rules basically prohibiting Aon drawing, Bloodsealing and ChayShan, which is why, when Paladin Brewer said he's going to ask more question, I figured, hey, why not try? I initially wanted to ask if it's a moon of Sel, but I figured this one was sure to get a RAFO.

There is also a response from Brandon that the name Threnody is given to a planet because it is indeed a memorial to something/someone.  To continue your and Zmann's line of thinking, and to highlight why this is an important observation: we can now build quite a lot of theories about Threnody and Sel having a shared history. Threnody's Evil may very well be an event that took place on Sel (good-bye Aona+Skai).  The planet itself may be well within the reach of the travelling Aon.  And a lot of other things....

There is also a response from Brandon that the name Threnody is given to a planet because it is indeed a memorial to something/someone.  To continue your and Zmann's line of thinking, and to highlight why this is an important observation: we can now build quite a lot of theories about Threnody and Sel having a shared history. Threnody's Evil may very well be an event that took place on Sel (good-bye Aona+Skai).  The planet itself may be well within the reach of the travelling Aon.  And a lot of other things....

Maybe it's a threnody for Dominion and/or Devotion...It is near Sel... It is effected by the same thing causing the Svrakiss (probably) and maybe the not-kandra (freaky). It might mean that all three red-eye beings-things are related to Odium...hmm...

Maybe it's a threnody for Dominion and/or Devotion...It is near Sel... It is effected by the same thing causing the Svrakiss (probably) and maybe the not-kandra (freaky). It might mean that all three red-eye beings-things are related to Odium...hmm...

Threnody for Aona/Skai seems like the most straightforward theory at the moment. Perhaps this is the place where their actual deaths took place (and where their bodies were dropped)?

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer (apologies to anyone named Debbie), but the out-of-universe history of the name seems to imply there are not any Cosmere secrets behind it. From the preface to SSFH:

I'd had the idea for Threnody, the Cosmere world where a group of pilgrimesque people fled the Old World because it was overrun by a terrible evil long ago. It was actually a very early Cosmere world, developed somewhere around 1999 or 2000. (Though the name didn't get assigned to it until Isaac gave a suggestion upon reading this novella.)

So, the planet's name is inspired by the story; the quote where Brandon says it was "named in memorial of something" might just mean Isaac named after the shades of the dead that inhabit it. (Interestingly enough, Threnody is never mentioned in the text of the story; they only refer to "Homeland" and "Hell.")

That being said, the Threnody/Sel connection is still something incredible, which I think we can really go to town on. I find it intriguing that the idea for this world occurred in 1999-2000, the same time as when Brandon wrote Elantris, White Sand, and Dragonsteel. So, it doesn't seem like a stretch to think that the concept of Hell came about as part of the extended worldbuilding for Elantris, and possibly the Cosmere in general. (Are Shades only from Threnody? Can they be people from Sel? Can they be people from any world in the Cosmere?) Since the concept of this story has existed for as long as Elantris has, it definitely throws some weight behind the theory that Svrakiss are Shades, and were always been meant to be Shades.

True but just because Brandon originally had the idea for that world so early doesn't mean that his later cosmere developments weren't factored in by the time we saw Threnody. He could easily have had the idea for named Threnody by a group of pilgrims fleeing a great evil....and then by the time he wrote about Threnody, it just worked out in his overall plot that this planet's people would have named it Threnody in memorial to Aona/Skai.

True but just because Brandon originally had the idea for that world so early doesn't mean that his later cosmere developments weren't factored in by the time we saw Threnody. He could easily have had the idea for named Threnody by a group of pilgrims fleeing a great evil....and then by the time he wrote about Threnody, it just worked out in his overall plot that this planet's people would have named it Threnody in memorial to Aona/Skai.

The question we are looking at is what is Evil and how is it connected to the events on Sel?

There are also questions concerning the timelines.

Specifically....

Event 1:  Odium  visited Sel, killed Aona and Skai.

Event 2: Oathpact between Honor and Odium on Roshar. Presumably, Odium is bound to Roshar system after that.

Event 3: Evil on Threnody

Event 4: Events of Elantris.

Event 5: The Last Desolation.

Now, we know that Event 1 < Event 2 ("<" means "earlier"),  Event 2 < Event 5 and Event 1 < Event 4.  But what is the total ordering of these?

Hate to break it to you guys but Peter just let us know in the thread on this in Cosmere theories that Brandon told him his answer to the Threnody being in the same planetary system as Sel question was "No it's not". :(

Saw that too.... Buzzkill )-: