All we know about Nalan's hunt, return of spren, Desolation and Recreance - is Nalan just insane?

Oversleep

"Why is the True Desolation different from the previous Desolation? How is it different?"

Well, the desolation that's about to occur will be the first one following the breaking of the Oathpact, so it's likely that once Odium is free there's no way to bind him again unlike before. This is also the first desolation in which Honor's dead, so it's sort of a definitive battle at this point.

In Jasnah's last quote she mentions the Highspren as her source of information. Highspren are, I believe, though cannot recal absolute confirmation, the spren that bond to Skybreakers. Nalan's order.

Does Nalan "know" what the Highspren "know", things that were true before, but no longer hold?

Not precisely mad, just failed to keep up with recent unheralded changes to the mystical laws that govern his universe.

Nalan's most definitely insane.  However, he's not JUST insane.

He's cold, calculating, and thanks to his millennia of experience with odium, likely has a far more intimate knowledge of what's going to happen than any character except for (and possibly including) Taravangian.

In Jasnah's last quote she mentions the Highspren as her source of information. Highspren are, I believe, though cannot recal absolute confirmation, the spren that bond to Skybreakers. Nalan's order.

Does Nalan "know" what the Highspren "know", things that were true before, but no longer hold?

Not precisely mad, just failed to keep up with recent unheralded changes to the mystical laws that govern his universe.

But Hoid agrees with her. Unless he's lying (I see no reason why) Jasnah is indeed correct.

Nalan's most definitely insane.  However, he's not JUST insane.

He's cold, calculating, and thanks to his millennia of experience with odium, likely has a far more intimate knowledge of what's going to happen than any character except for (and possibly including) Taravangian.

Yeah, I know he's insane, but the question is whether he is just insane or insane AND crazy?

I hope you understand what I mean.

Edited by Oversleep

I was being unclear. Jasnah is correct, Nalan is the one who clings to mis-information.

Right, right, I mixed up your comment with the Patrick Star's.

But if Nalan follows a previous version of "cosmere laws" (I doubt existence of such a thing), then why did he only recently started murdering Radiants? If back then Radiants were causing Desolations, he surely would have said something like "People, stop bonding with spren!". He is Herald of Almighty, people thought of them as deities, they would have listened.

"why would Nalan hunt Surgebinders since they existed before without

triggering Desolation?"

One of the reasons the parshendi changed to stormform and summoned the everstorm was because they saw kaladin fighting with stormlight which would imply that spren have started bonding with humans again,so they thought they needed to do whatever necessary (even transforming to stormform) to defeat the alethi before they started bringing in surgebinders to the field,in which case the parshendi will horribly be at a disadvantage.

Right, right, I mixed up your comment with the Patrick Star's.

But if Nalan follows a previous version of "cosmere laws" (I doubt existence of such a thing), then why did he only recently started murdering Radiants? If back then Radiants were causing Desolations, he surely would have said something like "People, stop bonding with spren!". He is Herald of Almighty, people thought of them as deities, they would have listened.

Well,you see,nalan couldn't just come out of hiding and start telling people to stop bonding with spren,don't forget that this was after the shattering of the oathpact and the heralds were living a life of hiding and declaring themselves as heralds plus that guilt that they had for lying to the people that they had won and that there wouldn't be any more desolations,doing that will compromise the other heralds preferable life of living anonymously,and if they come out people might start worshiping them and I don't think the other heralds will like that giving that they never declared themselves for the past 4500 years.

Edited by StormWrath

Note that pretty much the entirety of this post is based on a theory that as of yet I have not fully fleshed out.

I think that Nale's actions are well-intentioned and at least based in rational thought, but I do think that he is misguided.

I believe that Nale is working off of what might now be outdated information pertaining to the Oathpact. I think that part of the agreement between Honor and Odium was that Odium, at least between desolations, was only allowed field as many splinters and as much influence on Roshar as Honor did. So for every spren that formed the Nahel bond with a human, Odium was allowed to release another of his spren onto Roshar. I think this is how the first of the odiumspren that cause stormform came to Roshar, and it was only after Talenel returned to Roshar and triggered the start of the desolation that Odium was able to "open the floodgates" and release enough stormspren to turn most of the Pashendi nation into stormform, probably along with all of the parshmen on Roshar, unless the Everstorm is returning other forms of power as well.

One day I hope to have my thoughts on this organized enough to present as a full theory, but today is not that day.

Well,you see,nalan couldn't just come out of hiding and start telling people to stop bonding with spren,don't forget that this was after the shattering of the oathpact and the heralds were living a life of hiding and declaring themselves as heralds plus that guilt that they had for lying to the people that they had won and that there wouldn't be any more desolations,doing that will compromise the other heralds preferable life of living anonymously,and if they come out people might start worshiping them and I don't think the other heralds will like that giving that they never declared themselves for the past 4500 years.

But if Radiants were making Desolations worse (more voidspren) then they would have had this influence even before Aharietam. So after a few Desolations after Surgebinders came to be Herlads return to Roshar with that knowledge and forbid bonding spren.

I believe that Nale is working off of what might now be outdated information pertaining to the Oathpact. I think that part of the agreement between Honor and Odium was that Odium, at least between desolations, was only allowed field as many splinters and as much influence on Roshar as Honor did. So for every spren that formed the Nahel bond with a human, Odium was allowed to release another of his spren onto Roshar. I think this is how the first of the odiumspren that cause stormform came to Roshar, and it was only after Talenel returned to Roshar and triggered the start of the desolation that Odium was able to "open the floodgates" and release enough stormspren to turn most of the Pashendi nation into stormform, probably along with all of the parshmen on Roshar, unless the Everstorm is returning other forms of power as well.

"Then the emergence of Radiants would be inconsequential because there would be increase in Voidbringers as well. But there is no evidence that Radiants had no impact and there is some evidence that Knights Radiant were helpful in battling Desolations. They wouldn't be helpful if number of enemies growed to match them. Besides, rise from 10 Surgebinders to thousands of them would strenghten Desolations several hundred times. They did grow worse, but that worse? I don't think so."

"Then the emergence of Radiants would be inconsequential because there would be increase in Voidbringers as well. But there is no evidence that Radiants had no impact and there is some evidence that Knights Radiant were helpful in battling Desolations. They wouldn't be helpful if number of enemies growed to match them. Besides, rise from 10 Surgebinders to thousands of them would strenghten Desolations several hundred times. They did grow worse, but that worse? I don't think so."

If the desolations went from having 10 magical people fighting for humanity to having thousands, without a roughly parallel increase in Odium's forces, then the desolations would have become little more than inconvenience for humanity, a minor conflict they have to engage in every few decades/centuries, but that does not seem to be the case.

I like to think that Nalan has correlation confused with causation. He's noticed that always there's a burst of new radiants before the desolations. He thinks maybe that by killing them off he can prevent this one. He's never actually realised that the new Radiants are a reaction to the desolation, not the other way around.

Oh, and yeah, he's got some issues to boot. ;)

I don't have the book handy, so can't get the exact wording of this, but there is a quote, possibly by Tanavast in a vision, that the Radiants were a way for humanity to recover and rebuild, to help preserve knowledge after/between the Desolations. So their primary function may have been that and a secondary function was fighting.

Also, after Tanavast's death, there is a WoB that there are more honorspren around since the shard was splintered. So, there is more of a chance for someone to become a Radiant if all those spren come through.

As an aside, Nalan is shown hunting 2 surgebinders with what would be catalogued as Cultivation spren. So maybe he is only concerned about half of the Radiant orders (doesn't explain why he hasn't hunted Jasnah or Shallan though)? Or just Edgedancers?

• 2 weeks later...

The Radiants might be coming back because the voidbringers are coming back, or it might be the other way around. Or, maybe Nalan thinks that it's the other way around. Either way, the desolation would be blamed on them, and Nalan would want to kill them.

I feel as if Nin's supposed insanity is something different. He definitely seems coherent, and his goals never vary- there's something much more calculated there than insanity or even fanaticism. 

I doubt it's the "Nin adopts the current views on the KR" thing; he may be the Herald of Justice, but I find that a lacking reason- he is also human, and was trusted by the Almighty for- presumably- thousands of years.

As an aside, Nalan is shown hunting 2 surgebinders with what would be catalogued as Cultivation spren. So maybe he is only concerned about half of the Radiant orders (doesn't explain why he hasn't hunted Jasnah or Shallan though)? Or just Edgedancers?

If Nalan is only hunting KRs on the Cultivation side, will it be possible that he blames Cultivation for the death of Honor, or even the Oathpact and the tortures in the first place?

• 1 month later...

I recall that in Eshonai's Interlude somebody said that the Listeners have made a great sacrifice to escape from thei gods. That probably is the source of parshmen, formless Listeners. This in turn indicates that back then all Listeners had Forms - compare to the modern day when almost all Listeners are without a spren, what probably lets in voidspren more easily.

We indeed know this, but I'm not sure if it is relevant.

Long I waited for somebody to point this out XD

I still feel like my list is missing some info, though. Anybody knows what I may have left out?

I always felt that the Skybreakers being so obsessed with the law would make them candidates for a type of military police for the Knights Radiant. This is why I felt Nalan only kills surgebinders who he knows have broken the law. He must have been watching Kaladin vs Szeth to be able to revive Szeth, and we saw no evidence of him trying to or wanting to attack and kill Kaladin.

This obviously does not explain the surgebinders and desolations link, but I feel like it's something to ponder.