Ambitious Social Media Project

Young Bard

I have this idea. I have no idea whether it will work, or whether it's been done before.

Basically, I tell a story purely through the perspectives of a few characters that have their own social media profiles.

I'll probably start with maybe 3-4 characters on one media platform, but I may well expand if it proves popular. I have a few ideas with plot and setting, but I'll leave that for when I actually start the project.

Any help would be welcome, or general support, or even reasons it might not work in advance so I can fix all those big issues before I ever reach them.

Any questions?

Edited by The Young Bard

1. I love it, great idea!

2. It depends slightly on what you want to do, but if you want to tell the story of how several characters experience the same thing you almost need two outlines. One for how things actually happened and one for how each character experienced the thing.

3. Look up ARG (Alternate Reality Game), if you do this right people will become invested in the story and want to influence it. Let them. This is social media after all. Interaction is important.

4. Dont break character. You know those insane stories of how old pro wrestlers never broke character no matter what happened? This is you now.

5. Realism. I dont know what kind of story you are telling here, even if you go full blown into surrealism or fantasy you still need realism. Why do we need to know what kind of car James Bond drives and what his favorite drinks are? Because it makes the guy with the bladed hat seem more possible. People post inane things on social media. Not everything needs to be part of the story. If the food character 3 ate on wednesday night is important to the story all the more power to you, but it doesnt need to be.

I have two videos for you. They are directed towards creepy pasta writing, but I guess what you are doing is the same without the horror element so I think they can help you anyway.

Those are my... 5 cents?

Thanks! That helps a lot.

I've got a fair bit of outlining to do, but I intend to start in a couple months (though that might change if I think I'm ready early or if I need more time). In the meantime, I need to do a fair bit of outlining, planning, and getting things ready for the big opening. Needless to say, I am excited.

If anyone is interested in helping out, feel free to PM me.

Edited by The Young Bard

If you were to do this on Facebook, I know you could make a page(?) as apposed to an actual account.

I wonder what this would look like if it was on Pinterest . . . Probably best not to do it on there.

I think Twitter might be okay with fictional character accounts. Judging by ones I've seen like Emo Kylo Ren.

I really love the idea!

It sounds cool!

Thanks!

If you were to do this on Facebook, I know you could make a page(?) as apposed to an actual account.

I wonder what this would look like if it was on Pinterest . . . Probably best not to do it on there.

I think Twitter might be okay with fictional character accounts. Judging by ones I've seen like Emo Kylo Ren.

I really love the idea!

I'm currently thinking of using Twitter. Writing 140 characters at a time is so much less time consuming.

Edited by The Young Bard

• 1 month later...

OK. I've done a tiny bit of planning, on and off, about organizations, characters, etc. I just need to connect a few dots, work out how I'm going to present the information seamlessly, hopefully find some way of getting people to look at it without breaking character, and I'm good to go.

No pressure.

This is very similar to something I've been wanting to do myself, so I'm very excited to see how it turns out.  Do give us a link when you eventually get it up and running!

I will. Thanks!

I actually wouldn't mind some help, if you're interested.

Are you creating your own character or using existing ones?

Creating my own. A few might be satirical/head-nods in some way to something already existing, though.

Edited by The Young Bard