Calamity Tour - Houston, TX

Cadmium

Am I reading this right? Two more years before SA3 is out???? I thought we had just another year to wait, to the most.

:o  :o  :o

With these delays, Stormlight Archive has now become one of the slowest series to release its next installment.

I do not have words to express how disappointed I am by this.

Am I reading this right? Two more years before SA3 is out???? I thought we had just another year to wait, to the most.

:o  :o  :o

With these delays, Stormlight Archive has now become one of the slowest series to release its next installment.

I do not have words to express how disappointed I am by this.

What are you comparing it to? When looking at Fantasy novels of similar length, you've got both Pat Rothfuss and George Martin, who haven't released a new book since 2011, whereas WoR was released in 2014. (I don't follow either of the other authors that closely, so I don't know if they're on track for releasing a new book before SA3. But if they're not, then Brandon halves their writing time.) When looking at smaller novels, I'll take R.A. Salvatore as an example. He puts out a couple of books a year, but they are much shorter than Stormlight books. Brandon has described one Stormlight book as being comprised of three novels, one novella, and one short story collection, which he releases all at once. So, while it might be slow coming, we get a lot when it do comes. (The WoR hardcover takes up more space on my bookshelf than the two most recent Mistborn hardcovers put together!)

Robert Jordan wrote about one book a year, when he was starting the Wheel of Time series. Brandon gets one SA out every three years, but over the course of that time he's writing a YA series and another Cosmere novel or two (or three or four). If the sentiment that you're expressing is that he could write so much quicker if he didn't write spinoff Mistborn and YA fiction... well, on one hand, I feel you. I don't follow his YA stuff, so I'm not thrilled when I read in a State of the Sanderson how much time has been devoted to Rithmatist or Steelheart. (No offense, Rithmatist or Steelheart fans.) On the other hand, Brandon has said that the way he jumps from project to project keeps him from getting burned out, a problem that has reared its ugly head on authors like Martin or Jordan. So, if he was just writing Stormlight, it might still slow down to a once-every-three-years.

Robert Jordan wrote about one book a year, when he was starting the Wheel of Time series. Brandon gets one SA out every three years, but over the course of that time he's writing a YA series and another Cosmere novel or two (or three or four). If the sentiment that you're expressing is that he could write so much quicker if he didn't write spinoff Mistborn and YA fiction... well, on one hand, I feel you. I don't follow his YA stuff, so I'm not thrilled when I read in a State of the Sanderson how much time has been devoted to Rithmatist or Steelheart. (No offense, Rithmatist or Steelheart fans.) On the other hand, Brandon has said that the way he jumps from project to project keeps him from getting burned out, a problem that has reared its ugly head on authors like Martin or Jordan. So, if he was just writing Stormlight, it might still slow down to a once-every-three-years.

Yes. This is exactly it. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE Brandon, but... but... but... SA3 has been delayed twice in the last 3 months. First, it was supposed to be Christmas 2016 or even Fall 2016. Then it became Early 2017, but it seems it won't be until Fall 2017.. I know stating it is horribly unpopular, but I cannot believe I am the only one who is disappointed. I have been waiting for this book for 2 years: I can't in all honesty keep on being excited about it for another two years. I have to turn the page, just as I had turn the page for GoT or Kingkiller: I have stop wanting to read the next book because it is too long in coming. I will read them once they come out, but I do not care about those stories anymore, not in the way I care for SA.

I truly loved SA and I didn't want it to come to that, but it has to. It have to. I cannot keep on expecting, anticipating a book for this long. I just can't. The amount of energy I have put into this book is frankly ridiculous. I just cannot keep on going on for another equally long bout, not unless I get something to chew on, something big, but it probably won't happen.

I just don't know what to do  :(

Not 2 more years. Summer 17 would be 1year 3 months to 1 year 6months more.

Sanderson puts out more books than any similar author.

Titan Arum, Brandon didn't rule out fossil fuels in future books.

yes, coin shots can levitate a southern airship, but that's not a doable basis for all transportation.

It's a year and a half, not two years, and I think it will be earlier fall (think August/September, both good months for a book)...I'm not happy with it either, but'm also kind of glad that it won't be coming out when I'll be finishing my thesis. That wouldn't be good...

By then I will either be done with grad school and working, or possibly getting yet another degree...*sigh* In other words, won't be reading a book in a week any more...*sighs again*

Yes. This is exactly it. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE Brandon, but... but... but... SA3 has been delayed twice in the last 3 months. First, it was supposed to be Christmas 2016 or even Fall 2016. Then it became Early 2017, but it seems it won't be until Fall 2017.. I know stating it is horribly unpopular, but I cannot believe I am the only one who is disappointed. I have been waiting for this book for 2 years: I can't in all honesty keep on being excited about it for another two years. I have to turn the page, just as I had turn the page for GoT or Kingkiller: I have stop wanting to read the next book because it is too long in coming. I will read them once they come out, but I do not care about those stories anymore, not in the way I care for SA.

I truly loved SA and I didn't want it to come to that, but it has to. It have to. I cannot keep on expecting, anticipating a book for this long. I just can't. The amount of energy I have put into this book is frankly ridiculous. I just cannot keep on going on for another equally long bout, not unless I get something to chew on, something big, but it probably won't happen.

I just don't know what to do  :(

If you struggle with waiting between books, then, yeah, I can see how it's hard to keep up with a relatively new author like Brandon. I'd recommend looking at some series that have been completed (or at least have had a good chunk of the series completed). Not sure what you've read or not; Lord of the Rings is always a classic, Wheel of Time, Dune (if you're into a space-fantasy kind of a series). I've heard good things about Malazan Book of the Fallen, but haven't read it myself. Shannara, Discworld, and Dragonriders of Pern are other popular series that I can't vouch, but they do have a lot of books to keep you busy. I had a blast with the Star Wars Expanded Universe, but I'm not sure if a lot of those books would hold up if I didn't have such a nostalgia factor. (Don't get me started on the new Star Wars books, though. But if you read the Star Wars books in publication order, some of the newer big series work really well, IMO.) Some series that have closed still have very active fanbases, like Harry Potter or the aforementioned Lord of the Rings. (Heck, you can take classes on Tolkien, in some universities.)

Long wait times is a fairly common feature (or bug, depending on how you look at it) of book series, because it's the brainchild of a single author. Whereas TV series or film franchises (looking at you, Marvel) can put out a lot more content in a year, it's because they have a larger team generating content.

One reason I because a fan of Brandon is actually because of the same thing you have a problem with - the wait between books. (Yeah, sounds crazy when I put it like that.) I got late into Wheel of Time, and then looked through the archives of Dragonmount, and I saw all these crazy theories that were developed around the foreshadowing and prophecies in the series, and how they had changed over the years as the community came together and theorized. So, I relish the chance to look at a series like Stormlight when there is so much we don't know, and try to piece together what we have. Sure, there'll be a lot wrong (I used to subscribe to a fourth Shard on Roshar, and I'm currently working on a theory about a new interpretation of the First Oath that will be off-the-walls), but I think it's awesome that we, the fans, have a chance to look for the huge secrets that are buried somewhere in the series.

So, yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with reading through another series for a year and a half, then rereading Stormlight 1 and 2 in preparation for the new release, if you're wired to work that way. I'd bet that, once Kingkiller 3 or ASOIAF 6 comes out, you'll be able to get back into the mindset quickly enough.

Oh, and there will be a Lift novella coming in December in the Cosmere short fiction collection, along with possibly a Lopen story. Neither of those characters are my cup of tea, but they might help tide you over.

The Stormlight was never delayed - it never had an official release date. This is one of the main reasons creators of any type dislike giving unofficial ETAs. I am as eager as everyone else for more Stormlight - it is my favorite Brandon series - but it'll be out when it's out. Until then it's best not too much too much stock in unofficial estimates.

It's a year and a half, not two years, and I think it will be earlier fall (think August/September, both good months for a book)...I'm not happy with it either, but'm also kind of glad that it won't be coming out when I'll be finishing my thesis. That wouldn't be good...

By then I will either be done with grad school and working, or possibly getting yet another degree...*sigh* In other words, won't be reading a book in a week any more...*sighs again*

Alright, alright, a year and a half... I rounded up. It just feels as time doesn't move forward, cold, snow, rain, cold. clouds, no sun... It makes everything seem just... longer.

If you struggle with waiting between books, then, yeah, I can see how it's hard to keep up with a relatively new author like Brandon. I'd recommend looking at some series that have been completed (or at least have had a good chunk of the series completed). Not sure what you've read or not; Lord of the Rings is always a classic, Wheel of Time, Dune (if you're into a space-fantasy kind of a series). I've heard good things about Malazan Book of the Fallen, but haven't read it myself. Shannara, Discworld, and Dragonriders of Pern are other popular series that I can't vouch, but they do have a lot of books to keep you busy. I had a blast with the Star Wars Expanded Universe, but I'm not sure if a lot of those books would hold up if I didn't have such a nostalgia factor. (Don't get me started on the new Star Wars books, though. But if you read the Star Wars books in publication order, some of the newer big series work really well, IMO.) Some series that have closed still have very active fanbases, like Harry Potter or the aforementioned Lord of the Rings. (Heck, you can take classes on Tolkien, in some universities.)

Long wait times is a fairly common feature (or bug, depending on how you look at it) of book series, because it's the brainchild of a single author. Whereas TV series or film franchises (looking at you, Marvel) can put out a lot more content in a year, it's because they have a larger team generating content.

One reason I because a fan of Brandon is actually because of the same thing you have a problem with - the wait between books. (Yeah, sounds crazy when I put it like that.) I got late into Wheel of Time, and then looked through the archives of Dragonmount, and I saw all these crazy theories that were developed around the foreshadowing and prophecies in the series, and how they had changed over the years as the community came together and theorized. So, I relish the chance to look at a series like Stormlight when there is so much we don't know, and try to piece together what we have. Sure, there'll be a lot wrong (I used to subscribe to a fourth Shard on Roshar, and I'm currently working on a theory about a new interpretation of the First Oath that will be off-the-walls), but I think it's awesome that we, the fans, have a chance to look for the huge secrets that are buried somewhere in the series.

So, yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with reading through another series for a year and a half, then rereading Stormlight 1 and 2 in preparation for the new release, if you're wired to work that way. I'd bet that, once Kingkiller 3 or ASOIAF 6 comes out, you'll be able to get back into the mindset quickly enough.

Oh, and there will be a Lift novella coming in December in the Cosmere short fiction collection, along with possibly a Lopen story. Neither of those characters are my cup of tea, but they might help tide you over.

Thanks for this post. I makes me feel better. I went all nut job when I read it earlier  :(

As for your suggestions, I have indeed read LoTR, WoT and Harry Potter. Dune isn't my cup of tea and I have read nearly all of the Star Wars expanded universe, the old stuff from the 90s. The first English book I managed to pump through was a Timothy Zhan Star Wars book, so thank you Star Wars for helping me develop my English reading skills. I however stopped reading when I heard the

Solo kids were all dying. I loved the Solo kids, how dare you authors?

I couldn't push through the first Malazan book but I have heard it is a hard one to read. I am apparently not the only one to have failed at reading it,so it perhaps is not for me either. Shannara appears to be "generic" for my tastes, so I dunno if I'd enjoy it. I never picked up Diskworld nor Dragons of Perns, but many on the forum recommended me Powder Mage which I put into my reading list. It is just hard as every single book I pick is unfortunate enough to not be SA......

The novella is actually good news even if these aren't my favored characters, I'd read about anyone at this point in time.

Alright, alright, a year and a half... I rounded up. It just feels as time doesn't move forward, cold, snow, rain, cold. clouds, no sun... It makes everything seem just... longer.

Maybe it's just how time works in Canada, just a unique quirk like toilets flushing the other way in Australia.

There are plenty of other series out there, finished series and standalones that are worth reading in between wait times.  And honestly, you pick up more from a re-read of Brandon books the more time in between.  Brandon is an author you can trust for quality, but he's not the only author out there. 

Discworld is a humourous parody-fantasy (at least in the first books) that gets meta.  If you read A Series of Unfortunate Events and the writing style annoyed you, you might not like it.  And Pern is "classic" in the way that fantasy as a genre has progressed and evolved over time so that it seems really weird and outdated.  Pern was one of the first fantasies with a female protag, but reading it now makes it seems weird, with shades of domestic abuse that wouldn't have made anyone blink in 1970.  I skim-read one of the books a few weeks ago and the "scenes of intimacy" were cringeworthy and ambiguously consensual.  If that stuff bothers you, that's the trigger warning.

If you want easy, relatively short reading with endearing characters that develop, I'd suggest "The Thief" series by Megan Whalen Turner.  They're intended for YA but with written skillfully enough that you'd never guess the twist, no matter your age.  The sequels "The Queen of Attolia" and "The King of Attolia" get better and show more character development, in a genre shift from action-adventure to political fantasy.   The author is one with 8 year gaps between novels but they conclude without cliff-hangers, thankfully.

Political fantasy is probably my favourite subgenre. 

Maybe it's just how time works in Canada, just a unique quirk like toilets flushing the other way in Australia.

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but Montreal tends to hibernate up until summer... To think this stupid ground-hog didn't see its shadow: the idea of spring arriving in February is just baffling. 

Maybe I'm just sun deprived and it makes me cranky and overly emotional. We barely had any sun this winter and whenever we did, it was storming too cold for any normal human being to withstand without ten layers of Canada Goose  :ph34r:

I want sun and heat and a book  :mellow:

If you want easy, relatively short reading with endearing characters that develop, I'd suggest "The Thief" series by Megan Whalen Turner.  They're intended for YA but with written skillfully enough that you'd never guess the twist, no matter your age.  The sequels "The Queen of Attolia" and "The King of Attolia" get better and show more character development, in a genre shift from action-adventure to political fantasy.   The author is one with 8 year gaps between novels but they conclude without cliff-hangers, thankfully.

Political fantasy is probably my favourite subgenre. 

Oh I don't care if the book is labeled as YA, it's only a label: a good story is a good story no matter who it is supposed to be aimed at. I know very grown-up adults with children who love to read teenage girl oriented novels where the main protagonist is in High School, so age has nothing to do about it.

The name Megan Whalen rings a bell. I'll google it up. I don't recall what is the last "political fantasy" book I have read, so I have no idea how I currently feel about it. I'm finishing Codex, so no more military fantasy for a while.

Oh I don't care if the book is labeled as YA, it's only a label: a good story is a good story no matter who it is supposed to be aimed at. I know very grown-up adults with children who love to read teenage girl oriented novels where the main protagonist is in High School, so age has nothing to do about it.

The name Megan Whalen rings a bell. I'll google it up. I don't recall what is the last "political fantasy" book I have read, so I have no idea how I currently feel about it. I'm finishing Codex, so no more military fantasy for a while.

I can imagine that days where sunlight can be measured in minutes gets depressing after a while.  Even though I am not too fond of heatwaves and high humidity where it feels like you're breathing lukewarm soup for weeks at a time, at least I have my daily 14 hours of sunlight.

YA is only a relatively recent literary label, and for a lot of books it's ambiguously applied.  Like Mistborn for example.  It's still good to be able to easily find books when you don't feel like reading grimdark where major characters are killed off regularly, and there are brutal scenes of violence and warfare.  They are probably the last thing you'd want to pick up in middle of a blegh week.

Political, or court fantasy, is about intrigue and espionage and social protocol.  I like worldbuilding in narrow focus, like the daily lives of castle people or the social classes in a fantasy city state.  Large scale military fantasy grinds on me after a while, which is why I never liked the Powder Mage series as much as other people.   Imo, nothing builds a believable and well-developed world in my eyes than an author exploring the world's culture and economy.   Yes, it's interesting that Lord Albert can field an army of 10 000 men with 2 000 horses. I want to know - are they conscripts or standing army?  How are they paid and fed?  How fast can they travel with supply train?  If you can answer the questions after finishing a book, then it's decently fleshed out.  I'd rather read a fantasy about insurance or war bond salesmen than soldiers.

Though it's kind of sad that political and economic themed fantasy are rather rare.

If you like it, there are some books about it that are non-YA. 

Note: standard basic plotline has inexperienced young person being thrust into intricate corrupt court.

The Goblin Emperor (standalone, endearing character with development)

Daughter of the Empire (trilogy in an extended universe like Cosmere, but you don't have to read the others)

If we are talking book recommendation, I would have to suggest The Lightbringer series. Some of the best fantasy withing thta past decade and one of the only non Brandon books I consistantly reread.

Hey Blightsong, long time no see. PM me if you want. I may have stuff you'll be interested in.

As people have said, he is faster than literally every other author. If you cannot temper your excitement for the relatively short "long haul", then you're never going to find a new author to follow.Every single one of us would prefer the news that Oathbringer comes out tomorrow, but we all realize that deciding to give up on getting excited about books isn't the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the Stormlight 3 delay, this is how the Game of Thrones books started having later and later release dates ;)

And maxal, I believe the short story collection this Fall will have a Stormlight novella or two, so that might help you make it to later 2017.

Pish. Stormlight isn't even in the same league of lateness that is ASoIaF.  I've pretty much reconciled myself to the fact that the only ending we're getting to that series is going to be via HBO.

Dragonriders of Pern are other popular series that I can't vouch

I can vouch for Dragonriders of Pern...

They were AMAZING...when I was in middle/high school. I recently tried going back and reading them again, but I found that I could barely make it through a book without cringing.

There are only really 3 topics they touch on

Love: mostly between dragons and their riders (its also a pretty idealized/childish form of love, too obvious)

Master Robington: OMG Master Robington is missing, rouse all the Dragons!!!! OMG Master Robington is coming, lets get some wine for him...

Thread: grrr thread is my enemy and I am a manly man for letting my dragon destroy it, oh and I love my dragon. OMG thread is coming, I'm supremely afraid, oh wait there is my home where it can't hurt me...

Don't get me wrong, there will always be a place in my heart for that series, and I have almost all of them on my bookshelves.  However, I would not recommend them to an adult who reads books on the Stormlight Archive level.

Edited by tobar14

The wait for SA3 is soul crushing. I feel your pain Maxal!

Part of me wants to moan about it but the sheer amount of books constantly released by Brandon make it hard haha :P.It has always been my fave of the Cosmere Series. Im always checking that 44% bar.