CONFIRMATION - The Weapon that killed Adonalsium no longer exists

imriel452

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's one helluva discovery. 

So, we know that the original Vessels killed Adonalsium (or at least Khriss believes this to be the case, and she is our best resource right now). With something that no longer exists in its original form. My headcanon? Whatever the weapon was, a material, a power, a being, its death transformed it into aluminum. 

Edited by Argent

The weapon could be classified as the group of sixteen that killed him.  Since that group broke apart after gaining their Shards, the 'weapon' no longer exists in it's original form.

He also said that it was expended, which suggests that the Weapon has power of sorts, so I would be less likely to go with you on this

what is the spoiler policy on BoM and MSH? I have seen some things here such as "sixteen who killed adonalsium"...

IIRC Cosmere Theories is usually the "anything goes" section. In the case of SH and BoM though, I think we're still supposed to use spoiler tags for now. I can't be sure though. I don't know where this section's spoiler policy is kept.

Edit: Make of this what you will

Post theories for the cosmere, the Shards of Adonalsium, or Hoid here. WARNING: Users are not required to put spoiler tags here.

Edited by Observer

Its rare I dont get a nice titbit of info from Brandon when I am specific with my questions (less specific = him toying with me!)

I like the aluminium idea - this is something I might ask with the next signing if someone doesn't get to it before me!

Well if the weapon no longer exists in it original form it definitely can't be as simple as Aluminium on its own, as that still exists. I'm calling that theory debunked for now. Doesn't mean Aluminium isn't part of what they used, of course.

IIRC Cosmere Theories is usually the "anything goes" section. In the case of SH and BoM though, I think we're still supposed to use spoiler tags for now. I can't be sure though. I don't know where this section's spoiler policy is kept.

Edit: Make of this what you will

Your threads will get moved if they're PURELY about information related to M:SH or BoM. If they require a working knowledge of other parts of the cosmere to understand the thread, I think you should be good, although it never hurts to use spoiler tags.

Well if the weapon no longer exists in it original form it definitely can't be as simple as Aluminium on its own, as that still exists. I'm calling that theory debunked for now. Doesn't mean Aluminium isn't part of what they used, of course.

Maybe read the idea before debunking it :) It was not about something "as simple as aluminum on its own," it was about something - power is what I am leaning towards - transforming into the first aluminum in the Cosmere after the Shattering.

Maybe read the idea before debunking it :) It was not about something "as simple as aluminum on its own," it was about something - power is what I am leaning towards - transforming into the first aluminum in the Cosmere after the Shattering.

I've seen that idea posted across so many threads and nobody has ever gone into more detail than a simple "Aluminium did it," so apologies that I wasn't aware there was some actual nuance there, but people do need to preserve that nuance if they're gonna cross-post the theory to other threads all the time if they want it understood.

Maybe the weapon was the 16 Shardholders, before they got Shards? I mean, the WoB doesn't say that the weapon was destroyed, just that it no longer exists in its original form.

By saying that the Weapon was expended, I am less inclined to believe that the weapon was the original Vessels. 

It suggests, to me, that the Weapon was an item/entity that had a power inherent on its own, separate from whoever created it, and it was used up in the process of killing Adonalsium.

First of all we don't know how the magic worked before the Shattering. Therefore this may be an epic nosense:

I think the Vessels performed an hole in the Spiritual Realm (through destroing or reseacting the Spiritual Aspect of Someting). Through this gateway they had access to Adonalsium or at least some part of himself (Adonalsium was problably connected with everything) and they Shattered him.

The "Weapon" was to me an Item designed to destroying his own Spiritual Aspect and propagate some of the destruction (think it like a "Suicide Soul") through the Connections. After they used it, the Weapon was no more, but they destroyed also something in the Spiritual and therefore everything in the cosmere made by the same material shared this new Spirital Emptyness.... well of course I think that can be both the explaination about "how to kill someone probably in a unreachble realm" and "the Alluminium Spiritual deficit".

what is the spoiler policy on BoM and MSH? I have seen some things here such as "sixteen who killed adonalsium"...

Cosmere Theories is now allowed to have spoilers as it is beyond the 2 weeks. So, yeah, there will be Bands and Secret History spoilers, as I think is reasonable. In Cosmere Theories beyond the strict time (which was two weeks after release) spoilers are allowed without tagging, for proper discussion.

This is crazy awesome and I love you for getting this, as I've asked a bunch of questions about the weapon. So dang. I can't believe he responded to that. Awesome. I'll mull on this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's one helluva discovery. 

So, we know that the original Vessels killed Adonalsium (or at least Khriss believes this to be the case, and she is our best resource right now). With something that no longer exists in its original form. My headcanon? Whatever the weapon was, a material, a power, a being, its death transformed it into aluminum. 

Dragonsteel.

Edited by Zmann966

Actually... Crap!

I've been working on a first draft of a fantasy novel for a few years now that has dragons that, when they die, their bodies turn into a metal...

Please Brandon don't have a similar idea... I WANT TO BE A WRITER TOO SOMEDAY!

OMG, this is how it happens! ARGENT! Remember I told you about my dream where Brandon was an Epic and sucked the creativity out of people?! ITS TRUE!!! NoooooOOOooOOoOoooo

Actually... Crap!

I've been working on a first draft of a fantasy novel for a few years now that has dragons that, when they die, their bodies turn into a metal...

Please Brandon don't have a similar idea... I WANT TO BE A WRITER TOO SOMEDAY!

OMG, this is how it happens! ARGENT! Remember I told you about my dream where Brandon was an Epic and sucked the creativity out of people?! ITS TRUE!!! NoooooOOOooOOoOoooo

"Dream"

• 1 year later...

I think I know who knows, or rather, knew, where the remains of the weapon is: Preservation!

in secret history, Preservation says 

"I needed a sign. Something he couldn't change. A sign of the weapon I'd buried. The boiling point of water, I think. Maybe it's freezing point? But what if the units change over the years? I needed something that would be remembered always. Something they'll immediately recognize. Sixteen."

a sign of the weapon, and sixteen, being one of those signs, and how many Shards it split Adonalsium into, is too much of a coincidence.

Also, Ruin and Preservation created Scadrial, so they could design aspects of it in special ways. If he had buried it at the core of the planet, no one would be able to get to it, not on the Physical Realm, not without Either Ruin or Preservation noticing, and they wouldn't be able to get to it in the Cognitive Realm, as the investiture in metal makes it so that Shards cannot touch or influence it and probably are unable to get past it, so Shards would not be able to get to the core of the planet, because the inner and outer cores would be made out of metal. In addition, Ruin and Preservation are so heavily invested in the planet that they can't leave. Sounds like a good way to prevent them from being pressured into leaving the weapon defenseless.

The only thing I can't figure out is what the boiling/freezing point of water has to do with the weapon of opposition of Adonalsium.