Easter Eggs in Alcatraz?

Chapter titles in book 4 and the jokes/references that I, with the Internet to aide me have found:

6 -at the end of the previous chapter it said that the next three chapters were going to be really boring. 

pi (the Greek letter) 

4 1/2

42 - The answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything. From the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

144- a dozen dozen, or a gross. Also the combined ages of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins as they celebrate their birthdays in the first chapter of Lord of the Rings.

Act V, Scene III- nothing particularly noteworthy; this is the one where they quote Shakespeare

A+

No! - I believe this is in fact chapter 9. Say the name in German...

1010 - translated from binary to decimal, this gives us... 10

24601 -Le Mis 

070706 - I looked this up and it is Brandon’s wedding date; 07/07/‘06

6.022140857 x 10^23 - Avogadro constant 

Four teens and a Pickle- I mean four teens, fourteen.

8675309- a song of the same name.

16- Well, most of us fans (Read: Cosmere nerds) should know this one.

NCC-1701 - The ship in Star Trek.

4815162342 - It’s from Lost. The population of the world at the time... 

???

Infinity (the symbol)

infinity+1 - this is also infinity 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, Emily said:

Umm... this one’s sorta obvious but it hasn’t been mentioned yet...

In The Dark Talent, Shasta is reading Mistborn. 

image.jpg

I am extremely embarrassed. I have read this book so many times, and I never even noticed...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone! First post here, long-time lurker, though. I’ve read everything by Brandon except for his WoT books and Alcatraz. Figured I’d remedy the latter and I just read the first book. Quickly looked for an easter egg thread since so many of them (the High Imperial, the Steelheart reference) really jumped out.

The one that jumped out the most, though, is one I haven’t seen mentioned here (which is not to say that people haven’t noticed and I did not look carefully for fear of spoilers) was the Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference “Churches. Lead, very small rocks, and ducks.” It had me laughing out loud. I was actually starting to theorize that Quentin was talking in riddles by pointing out “things that float”. I strongly recommend everyone to look it up if it doesn’t ring any bells!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In book two of Evil Librarians, Alcatraz says he once "...jokingly dubbed my potato a 'Potin Potato, grown and crafted in the fields of Potallia',". He says that the Crystallians were not amused, and that he should've used his carrot.

Direct "Potato in a minefield" Reckoners referece.

That or Brandon Sanderson thinks carrots are more romantic than potatoes.

Edited by Cgixolek

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2018 at 4:25 AM, Ernei said:

There's "Avada Kedavra" in Alcatraz's list of ways not to day. And also the next one on the same list is, "a suit from JK Rowling" (more or less, I guess, I read this series in my native language and I'm unsure of the translation)

A lawsuit from J.K. Rowling, doesn't want to die of legal fines

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the first book, I can’t remember the exact phrasing, but Alcatraz says something along the lines of “before you know it, I’ll be a lawyer helping farmhands. What do mockingbirds have to do with that anyway?” I haven’t even read To Kill a Mockingbird, but I’m pretty sure this is a reference. 

To add on to the "Wasing not of wasing is" reference:

Quentin's talent is to speak gibberish.

In Mistborn, Spook, Kelsier, and Ham have a conversation in Eastern Street Slang, partially to annoy Breeze. Breeze makes some comment to Dockson about how they've all gone insane, and then Dockson, with a perfectly straight face, says, "Wasing not of wasing is." 

As everyone laughs at Breeze's incredulous face, Spook says that what Dockson said didn't really mean anything.

So Quentin wasn't just speaking gibberish. He was speaking gibberish in gibberish.

What if Quentin actually is just the most powerful guy ever, and he can speak in languages outside of his universe, but no matter how he does it, it always comes out in gibberish. With, you know, it always translating to whatever he actually happens to be saying.

• 3 months later...

Another reference that I haven't seen mentioned yet is when Alcatraz wakes up on the ground and says something about it not being his friend. This is a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where the improbability drive turns a missile into a sperm whale, which then plummets to the planet. At the end, the whale thinks: "And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!  I wonder if it will be friends with me?" I'm rather surprised no one else has mentioned this, since the humor in Hitchhiker's Guide and Alcatraz are so similar, so they should attract similar readers...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2016 at 11:10 AM, skybreaker30 said:

The ones I have found are as such: the bullet that killed your archenemy a reference too Steelheart. Wasing not of wasing is a Mistborn reference. A velicoraptor eating the c section and claiming it's unrealistic, a Jurassic park reference. The insanely short summary of the Lord of the Rings. The Princess Bride reference in book four. I believe Mink gives this but I could be wrong. The quote is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. The chapter numbers in book four.      

Yup! The quote is "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

• 1 year later...