Easter Eggs in Alcatraz?

I just finished the first book in the Alcatraz series (Evil Librarians), and I caught a few Easter eggs.  

I don't have the chapter numbers offhand, but ...

Mistborn ("Wasing not of wasing is")

Reckoners (steel skull of your arch-enemy)

Jurassic Park (when the dinosaurs go on a rampage in the library, one of them eat a book in the "C" section because of its unrealistic scenario)

Harry Potter (the sequence at the end where Grandpa mocks the whole "stay in a home during the summer with a family you barely know when your worst enemies know exactly where you live" scenario)

Those are what I can recall offhand.   Did anybody catch any other Easter eggs?

I just finished the first book in the Alcatraz series (Evil Librarians), and I caught a few Easter eggs.

Jurassic Park (when the dinosaurs go on a rampage in the library, one of them eat a book in the "C" section because of its unrealistic scenario)

Harry Potter (the sequence at the end where Grandpa mocks the whole "stay in a home during the summer with a family you barely know when your worst enemies know exactly where you live" scenario)

Those are what I can recall offhand. Did anybody catch any other Easter eggs?

You'll notice more in later books, one of my favorites being a reference to Wheel of Time. I can't think of any others in Evil Librarians, good job :)

Those are what I can recall offhand.   Did anybody catch any other Easter eggs?

Reckoners came after Alcatraz, but there is also mention of a Shard of Ryshadium, which seem weird because in Stormlight Archive Ryshadium is a horse, and a shard of horse sounds kinda weird.

I know Brandon Sanderson has a lot of ideas, and he plans everything waaaaaay in advance. I wonder if he already had the general Reckoners story in mind when he was writing "Evil Librarians." It would be just like him to sneak in an Easter egg for a book he was not planning on writing for several years down the road.

Makes me wonder what sort of Easter eggs he has already planted for his yet-to-be-published stories in the Alcatraz series for us to discover years later. I bet some of the seemingly random comments Alcatraz has made will become important in hindsight.

Just a note, I've got the old and the new versions of Evil Librarians, and just finished reading the new one. The steel skull quote is NOT in the original 2007 edition, rather, it mentions the bullet that killed your archenemy. The steel skull (and thus Steelheart reference) was added for the illustrated rerelease, which makes a lot more sense. Not even Brandon can predict series' outcomes before he gets the idea to start writing them.

I... Don't think I caught the WoT reference? Which book is that in?

Just a note, I've got the old and the new versions of Evil Librarians, and just finished reading the new one. The steel skull quote is NOT in the original 2007 edition, rather, it mentions the bullet that killed your archenemy. The steel skull (and thus Steelheart reference) was added for the illustrated rerelease, which makes a lot more sense. Not even Brandon can predict series' outcomes before he gets the idea to start writing them.

I... Don't think I caught the WoT reference? Which book is that in?

Just one more reason why I am going to buy all the new re-releases even though I already own the old editions. :P

The Author's Forward from Evil Librarians & the prologue epitaph from Final Empire both contain doubts/denial of being a hero, including these near identical lines:

"...I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am." - Alendi's logbook

"...I am not the hero that everyone says I am." -Alcatraz

Edited by runyan_ft

• 3 months later...

Ok, I think I just found another one in my new edition of Evil Librarians. In the Author's Foreword, 2nd paragraph (not counting "I am not a good person"), we find this sentence:

When Mr. Bagsworth first came to me, suggesting that I write my autobiography, I was hesitant.

Now, Dan Wells has a book (ebook only at this point) titled A Night of Blacker Darkness: Being the Memoir of Frederick Whithers as Edited by Cecil G Bagsworth III.

Given that Dan and Brandon are Writing Excuses buddies...

Coincidence-i-think-not.jpg

Ok, I think I just found another one in my new edition of Evil Librarians. In the Author's Foreword, 2nd paragraph (not counting "I am not a good person"), we find this sentence:

Now, Dan Wells has a book (ebook only at this point) titled A Night of Blacker Darkness: Being the Memoir of Frederick Whithers as Edited by Cecil G Bagsworth III.

Given that Dan and Brandon are Writing Excuses buddies...

Coincidence-i-think-not.jpg

SUSPICION CONFIRMED. Asked Dan about it at the double signing tonight and was told that they used to call Brandon's brother Jordan "Cecil Bagsworth" as a joke and then started using the name for their more ridiculous works.

• 2 weeks later...

Paraphrased because I can't remember the exact words but "Short English guy with hairy feet has to throw his Uncle's ring into a hole in the ground.' Best LotR description ever!!! Also, how often is a VOLCANO described as a 'hole in the ground.'

This naturally lead me to come up with 'seven kids go looking for their Dad's stuff.' Spoiler: everyone dies (pretty much. Except the one guy who went for a walk on the beach.) I LOVE the Silmarillion. Now I need to create ones for each part...

Ainiluindale: God creates the Universe and music. No, this is not the Bible. (Unless you are an obsessed Tolkien fan.)

Valaquenta: We name a lot of people, mostly forgettable and unimportant.

Children of Hurin: Guy sleeps with sister and everyone dies.

Lay of Leithian: Girl dies because of a boy. 

Nirnaeth Anoiedad: Everyone cries a lot. 

Awakening of the elves: People wake up.

Aule and Yavanna: Tree hugger and Industrialist quarrel.

Did I mention that I love this book? Several of those are out of order as I'm writing them at random. Thanks for the inspiration Alcatraz.

• 3 weeks later...

The ones I have found are as such: the bullet that killed your archenemy a reference too Steelheart. Wasing not of wasing is a Mistborn reference. A velicoraptor eating the c section and claiming it's unrealistic, a Jurassic park reference. The insanely short summary of the Lord of the Rings. The Princess Bride reference in book four. I believe Mink gives this but I could be wrong. The quote is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. The chapter numbers in book four.      

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2016 at 8:10 AM, skybreaker30 said:

The ones I have found are as such: the bullet that killed your archenemy a reference too Steelheart. Wasing not of wasing is a Mistborn reference. A velicoraptor eating the c section and claiming it's unrealistic, a Jurassic park reference. The insanely short summary of the Lord of the Rings. The Princess Bride reference in book four. I believe Mink gives this but I could be wrong. The quote is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. The chapter numbers in book four.      

Yeah, I just reread the fourth book, and started to notice the deeper meaning of some of the chapter titles. The first time I read it, I'd never heard of Lost, but I really appreciate the 24815162342 chapter. Earlier in the book, Lost is even randomly capitalized in a sentence, though I don't know if that's just a typo.

Also, chapter 16 is the ONLY chapter numbered correctly. I counted. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:07 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Paraphrased because I can't remember the exact words but "Short English guy with hairy feet has to throw his Uncle's ring into a hole in the ground.' Best LotR description ever!!! Also, how often is a VOLCANO described as a 'hole in the ground.'

This naturally lead me to come up with 'seven kids go looking for their Dad's stuff.' Spoiler: everyone dies (pretty much. Except the one guy who went for a walk on the beach.) I LOVE the Silmarillion. Now I need to create ones for each part...

Ainiluindale: God creates the Universe and music. No, this is not the Bible. (Unless you are an obsessed Tolkien fan.)

Valaquenta: We name a lot of people, mostly forgettable and unimportant.

Children of Hurin: Guy sleeps with sister and everyone dies.

Lay of Leithian: Girl dies because of a boy. 

Nirnaeth Anoiedad: Everyone cries a lot. 

Awakening of the elves: People wake up.

Aule and Yavanna: Tree hugger and Industrialist quarrel.

Did I mention that I love this book? Several of those are out of order as I'm writing them at random. Thanks for the inspiration Alcatraz.

Obsessed with the Silmarillion and the Valaquentia (was that what it was called)

• 6 months later...
On 11/6/2016 at 0:14 PM, Capt. Goradel said:

In one of the illustrations in Dark Talent a character is reading mistborn. 

It was Shasta. She was reading a book, then tosses it aside to go with Alcatraz. Alcatraz comments it was 'a callous act for a librarian. But then again it was merely a fantasy novel, so nothing that important.' Then if you look at the illustration on the page opposite, the title of the book is something like 'NISTBON by SAND----'.  :lol: Just one more reason to buy the the illustrated version to go with your audiobook.

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2017 at 3:07 PM, Archer said:

It was Shasta. She was reading a book, then tosses it aside to go with Alcatraz. Alcatraz comments it was 'a callous act for a librarian. But then again it was merely a fantasy novel, so nothing that important.' Then if you look at the illustration on the page opposite, the title of the book is something like 'NISTBON by SAND----'.  :lol: Just one more reason to buy the the illustrated version to go with your audiobook.

Shasta has got to be one of the best characters in the series.