How many Nalans are we really seeing...? (WoR Spoilers)

pharaoh9000

Who says that full to the brim is the same for Kaladin and a Herald?

Also, as I've said elsewhere, Kaladin has been actively surgebinding for weeks and subconsciously for maybe 5 years max. Szeth for, let's be generous, 30 years.

Nalan has been for thousands of years. His ability was what the spren based their surges on. There's a difference in expertise that is almost beyond comprehension, never mind any quite feasible differences in power

The problem with "filled to the brim" isn't how much that's actually woth for each person. It's the issue of getting that amount. Short of asking the Alethi monarchy for money to hold it all like Kaladin, that's going to be a lot of stormlight . . .

The problem with "filled to the brim" isn't how much that's actually woth for each person. It's the issue of getting that amount. Short of asking the Alethi monarchy for money to hold it all like Kaladin, that's going to be a lot of stormlight . . .

for a legendary herald, living thousands of years, able to fly into high storms, with a secret society and likely able to take on any greatshell by himself? Why would the Alethi Monarchy have more access to stormlight and storage thereof than someone who has watched their civilisation form?

Just basing it on the things we have seen from the characters "in the know" in Mistborn compared to what most normal magic users think is possible, and then the way magic in other series he has written for, I expect that not everyone is equal in the use of stormlight and that there are many many tricks that the main cast have literally no idea about

posted this in What are the powers of todays Heralds :

I would imagine he would NOT use surgebinding - wouldn't that seem to contradict ?

I think he is a worldhopper and can use whatever Hoid uses to be at the right place at the right time

for a legendary herald, living thousands of years, able to fly into high storms, with a secret society and likely able to take on any greatshell by himself? Why would the Alethi Monarchy have more access to stormlight and storage thereof than someone who has watched their civilisation form?

Just basing it on the things we have seen from the characters "in the know" in Mistborn compared to what most normal magic users think is possible, and then the way magic in other series he has written for, I expect that not everyone is equal in the use of stormlight and that there are many many tricks that the main cast have literally no idea about

But again, you are assuming a lot that this legendary herald can do, just to accomplish something that can be done far simpler, far easier, and far more covert with the aid of a fabrial. 

Just logical based on Sanderson's similar characters

The Lord Ruler could crush any rebellion himself easily, and yet he uses koloss and inquisitors. Why? He has the power. But he doesn't because having to constantly use that level of power for mundane means would be inefficient. So he outsources and accomplishes the same goals, but with less effort or focus on his part. Same stands for Nale. Storms I am not even saying he wouldn't fly at all. I personally think transportation makes the most sense, but Moogle made the great point that he could fly and be cloaked with a lightweaver fabrial. When you have the technology to make things easier, it just doesn't make sense to go through all this trouble to accomplish a goal solely under your own "power". 

• Chaos locked this topic