Question/ budding theory about the Dor

Cephandrius

So I was reading about how the powers of Devotion and Dominion are all blended and mixed into the Dor.  And I had a thought. 

Even though the two shards are splintered, (with the Skaze and Seons established to be those splinters,) what is to stop some dashing young hero from Sel from finding a way to hold the power?

the Question is this:  Assuming our young,dashing, kind, shining, and possibly royal and magically gifted hero were to hold both shards, would he have the same troubles Sazed is having with the two shards intents conflicting? 

the Theory is this:  I think not, or at least not as much.  The shards of Devotion and Dominion, having been mostly mixed together into the Dor, are just that - mixed.  They are no longer separate entities.  

I propose the Dor is a blank slate of pure power.  The intents of Devotion and Dominion are present through their Splinters, The Seons and Skaze respectively, but if one were to try taking up the power of both shards, they would get one megashard without Intent from the get-go instead of two separate shards that fuse over time and fight over intent in the meantime.  If we assume the Dor is the mindless power of two shards, and the Seons and Skaze are splinters separated from the rest of their shards, then as long as the new megashardholder does not try to absorb the seons and skaze, they should be able to define a new Intent based on their own personality; and the Seons and Skaze would remain independent beings.  

Thoughts?

A Shard's Intent is tied intrinsically to their power. While the Seons and the Skaze do represent these Intents, the Dor would still represent those Intents, though maybe mixed together. There is some speculation that one must show Devotion to be taken by the Shaod.

About Harmony: Ruin and Preservation were opposite Intents, and, when they mixed, those opposites clashing caused the problems the holder's been having. Devotion and Dominion mixing would not have that same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

If the Dor is a combination of Devotion and Dominion, how does that work into the world of MaiPon? MaiPon seems to have a lot to do with Devotion, but nothing to do with dominion. How does that work?

In so far as the Intents matter to Investiture (Which is not as far as you might think), it would have something to do with telling something's soul "I think it happened this way" and being believed. Much like Soulcasting is based off of the Surgebinder's personal charisma.

Dominion does not necessarily mean "power over others", it also means "region in which one has authority". All the magics of Sel are geographically based, which is the contribution of the Dominion shard; they all, to some extent, require the user to show devotion to something.

If the Dor is a combination of Devotion and Dominion, how does that work into the world of MaiPon? MaiPon seems to have a lot to do with Devotion, but

nothing to do with dominion. How does that work?

...All the magics of Sel are geographically based, which is the contribution of the Dominion shard; they all, to some extent, require the user to show devotion to something.

Except that we have Brandon explicitly stating that there's a different reason magics are regionalized on Sel:

Q: I assumed the shard Dominion was the reason why magic's are geographically and/or geopolitically based. Is there a different, essentially unrelated reason?

A: Yes, there is a different reason.

Dominion does not necessarily mean "power over others", it also means "region in which one has authority".

"Dominion" is also a rank of angels in Christian lore, having to do with hierarchy... but whether that's relevant or not...

There was a theory going around a while ago that Sel's magic was regionalized because the bulk of the Dor's energy was in the Cognitive Realm (location-based), as opposed to the Spiritual Realm. (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/47451-why-the-magic-is-wonky-on-sel/?p=346445) I find it to be a much better explanation than anything involving the Intents of the Shards.

• Chaos locked this topic