Atium, Larasium and Alloys

TySun

So I don't know if there is a similar theory out there but I came up with this theory during my recent re-read of the original Mistborn Trilogy.

First I would like to make a few points...

1)  I think I remember reading somewhere that Brandon Sanderson said that the power of Atium was not explored much and that there was still some applications of the metal that remain unrealized.

2)  Malatium, the "so called" 11th metal, is an alloy of Atium and gold, but Atium, being part of Ruin, would be paired with Larasium, which is part of Preservation.  And electrum is the alloy paired with gold.  That leaves malatium alone and without a metal to pair with..... if my logic is correct.

3)  Brandon Sanderson said that pure Larasium makes someone into a mistborn, but an alloy of Larasium would make someone into a misting.  (I'm assuming that an alloy of Larasium and pewter, for example, would make someone into a thug, or that an alloy of Larasium and steel would make someone into a coinshot, but I'm not sure if that's how it works)

So my theory is that Atium has many different alloys, just as I'm assuming Larasium does.  In fact, I think Atium (and Larasium) has as many alloys as there are allomantic metals, one for each metal, and that malatium is the one with Atium and gold.  That would mean that there are at least 15 more alloys of Atium, (if my theory is correct), and they could be powerful.  Feel free to speculate or criticize this theory.  Or correct me on my assumptions and/or facts that I laid out if they are incorrect.  I am not an expert on this stuff.

There's just going to be a ridiculous amount of metals for every god metal. If harmonium gets alloyed, then that's 64 metals.

You reminded me.  I forgot to mention a Larasium/Atium alloy.  I wonder if that that would turn someone into an atium misting or if the result were more drastic since they are both god metals.  I feel that it needs to be mentioned either way.

There's just going to be a ridiculous amount of metals for every god metal. If harmonium gets alloyed, then that's 64 metals.

Wouldn't it be 67? Because there's 16 normal metals, 16 atium alloys, 16 lerasium alloys, (maybe) 16 harmonium alloys, as well as pure atium, lerasium, and harmonium.

Not that I'm a nerd about this or anything

17TH SHARD

Are there a limited amount of atium and lerasium alloys for each metal?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hmm, yes…I suppose there would be but there are…

17TH SHARD

More than sixteen?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, way more than sixteen.

17TH SHARD

Oh wow. Okay. That's fascinating. More than sixteen and less than infinite.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

Potentially more than one alloy per metal.

We also know that the alloys of atium have various temporal effects, and IIRC Lerasium alloys have physical or enhancement effects.

Lerasium alloys, IIRC, also create metal mistings as a side effect when burned by non-metalborn, in the same way pure lerasium created mistborn.

I demand Tanavastium steel!

Some alloys do at least, yeah.

Though I've never liked that people call those side effects, yes it's not exactly the pure thing it is doing but it is the main thing that it does, we don't know how to make it do anything else.

Potentially more than one alloy per metal.

We also know that the alloys of atium have various temporal effects, and IIRC Lerasium alloys have physical or enhancement effects.

Have we gotten confirmation over what Lerasium alloys do? I thought we were still spectating.

Have we gotten confirmation over what Lerasium alloys do? I thought we were still spectating.

It was either in a quote or one of the table, can't quite remember though. I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: Yeah it's in the table of allomantic metals. link

It was either in a quote or one of the table, can't quite remember though. I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: Yeah it's in the table of allomantic metals. link

Note that this is an in-world document, and thus is allowed to be wrong.  It's probably right in general, but we can't take it as Word of Harmony.

It has to do with spiritweb rewriting IIRC. In that regard those are less side effects and more what happens when you can't control the main effect at all.

What the main effect actually is exactly though, we do not know. We know even less about lerasium feruchemy and hemalurgy (i.e. Absolutely nothing)

It has to do with spiritweb rewriting IIRC. In that regard those are less side effects and more what happens when you can't control the main effect at all.

What the main effect actually is exactly though, we do not know. We know even less about lerasium feruchemy and hemalurgy (i.e. Absolutely nothing)

Now that the two Shards no longer exist and thus the stores of both God Metals logically would no longer replenish, is there enough Atium and Lerasium left for either to be the Lost Metal? Or do we think the Shardpools will still exist and produce Metals because they precede Harmony and he won't have taken them up?

Now that the two Shards no longer exist and thus the stores of both God Metals logically would no longer replenish, is there enough Atium and Lerasium left for either to be the Lost Metal? Or do we think the Shardpools will still exist and produce Metals because they precede Harmony and he won't have taken them up?

The Wells and the pits are no more so probably not, though I do think there would have been some loose Atium around the place still, Marsh has a bag at least plus other nobles will have had small amounts around the place.

It's more that we actually know that they didn't from WoB, IIRC.

Yup. There's some speculation that they were replaced with a single Harmony Shardpool or maybe Sazed just got rid of them, we don't really know how much control Shards have over things like that.

For reference the mentioned WoB:

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)
Does the Well of Ascension still exist in the new world? Or is it no longer necessary? I assumed that Preservation collected there like Ruin collects in the Pits of Hathsin, so if Atium keeps forming then the well should keep filling...
BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)
The Well (and the small wells in the Pits) is no more. For now at least.

It's also worth mentioning however that this WoB is pretty old so Brandon may have changed that particular detail.

A question that I had is: why would you use an alloy of Lerasium if it only works to create a misting instead of creating a mistborn? Is there an advantage somehow, like does it allow you to use less of the Lerasium and therefore use one bead on multiple people?

That's what they would do if you just burn it. Lerasium itself apparently has various uses with regards to spiritweb modification, but defaults to making mistborn. Presumably the alloys are a similar case.

Hmm, I suppose that means it could be used to allow access to most or all forms of magic (possibly acing to preserve that aspect of Adonalsium because all magic systems are actually related).

On another note, I wonder if Harmonium is just an alloy of Atium and Lerasium or if it is completely its own metal.

Edited by nervousnerd