[Calamity Spoilers]Calamity and the shattering and other wild speculations

echaozh

Reading the scene in Calamity where David et al showed down with Calamity makes me wonder if Brandon is hinting at how Adonalsium was shattered. Especially this line by Calamity: "I contain the very powers of the universe. Do you understand that? They are all mine. I am what you call a High Epic a thousand times over."

I know the shattering will be different from the calamity showdown, and Earth is not part of Cosmere. I just think that there may be many settings in common:

1. The shatterers and later shards of Adonalsium were very highly invested before becoming shards. They may have been invested in different ways and thus had Connections to different facets of Adonalsium's power and was later able to pick up specific Shards.
  2. The shattering was mostly because Adonalsium was doing strange things to the highly invested and powerful magic users, or even magic systems themselves.
  3. Adonalsium was sent from outside of Cosmere. All the major and minor shardworlds are with stars closely clustered within a dwarf galaxy. It's hard to imagine that only this part of the whole universe has such a magical being as Adonalsium. The God Beyond may not be from the Beyond after all, but from beyond the Cosmere astronomically

And I have some further, wilder guesses:

1. The Realms are divided at the shattering. There was only 1 Realm before the shattering, and that's how humans found and slayed Adonalsium. If Adonalsium was in the Spiritual Realm, I don't think people can even be there without shardic powers.
  2. Yolen was hidden somewhere outside the Physical Realm, and maybe even within the Spiritual Realm. And that's why someone as cosmere aware and well traveled as Khriss could not find the planet.

I personally doubt that the Shatterers were highly invested before the Shattering. We know there was magic on Yolen, but not in the same way as post-shattering. I would think that magic would be more like on minor Shardworlds, of which Brandon has said that there is ambient magic in nature, etc. that people can interact with, but not invested magic users like on Major Shardworlds.

To add to your wild guesses, perhaps Adolnalsium and Calamity are of the same race of creatures, from a place outside the Cosmere and outside Earth's Universe. This would lead to an even larger connected multiverse, containing the entire Cosmere and the Reckoners universe, and possibly even more.

It's a stretch, but it seems like something Brandon would do.

*sigh* When i first read the Reckoners, you think... Calamity- some all powerful endower of multiple abilities.... Odium- some all powerful force of hatred completely contaminating the experience... and honestly, BOOM. You have Cosmere potential. While I suppose I can understand why Brandon would set this place beyond the Cosmere, my bigger question is Why Not? it was so perfect. You have post-apocalyptic humanity endowed with powers that defy the laws of physics. you have some bigger place out there that could plausibly create this scenario. In the end, for me it comes down to Creator's Whimsy. I don't want it there, so it doesn't belong there. Still gotta love Brandon either way though, right?

*sigh* When i first read the Reckoners, you think... Calamity- some all powerful endower of multiple abilities.... Odium- some all powerful force of hatred completely contaminating the experience... and honestly, BOOM. You have Cosmere potential. While I suppose I can understand why Brandon would set this place beyond the Cosmere, my bigger question is Why Not? it was so perfect. You have post-apocalyptic humanity endowed with powers that defy the laws of physics. you have some bigger place out there that could plausibly create this scenario. In the end, for me it comes down to Creator's Whimsy. I don't want it there, so it doesn't belong there. Still gotta love Brandon either way though, right?

Also because Voidus stabs people who say that Reckoners is cosmere, and I really don't want to spike Brandon.

Injecting darkness into Epics? How Odious!

Also because Voidus stabs people who say that Reckoners is cosmere, and I really don't want to spike Brandon.

Although, if you could spike human creativity.... just imagine what would happen if you put such a spike into Brandon... lol

Although, if you could spike human creativity.... just imagine what would happen if you put such a spike into Brandon... lol

To steal his or give him other peoples? Because if it's the latter I'd say giving him everyones typing speed would be more productive, he's already plenty creative for me :P

To steal his or give him other peoples? Because if it's the latter I'd say giving him everyones typing speed would be more productive, he's already plenty creative for me :P

Just don't try to spike G.R.R.M.'s speed… it would probably have an adverse affect on Brandon's.

jW

• Chaos locked this topic